Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Adhesive And Filler For Fixing Old Dovetails?

On 3/1/2019 6:40 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 6:25:00 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speaking of having the back off, take a look at this thread when you have
a chance. That thread is about the back panels of this piece. Another
curiosity on my part.

Back Panels On Desk - Cutting Error, Modification or Design Feature?

How deep are the drawers compared to how deep the carcass cavity is? If there is some carcass space (1"?) at the rear, maybe there were vertical boards along the back (side) edges, that the back panel attached to, rather than their attaching to the sides of the carcass. I don't see any nail/screw holes to support this idea, but maybe the vertical board attachment evidence are somewhere unseen in your pic.
https://imgur.com/0bXFzQJ

Sonny

What's wrong with some quarter round strips glued in the corners?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/28/2019 7:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Steel drawer tacks are still available:

https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/pro...r-thumb-tacks/

Kewl! And thanks! I figured probably _somewhere_ but haven't built a
rail-sliding drawer in ages other than very light boxes, etc., such that
would have been need...the advent of the under-drawer full-length slide
has revolutionized my ideas for desks, heavy chests, sideboards, etc.,
etc., etc., ..., over the last 20 years so haven't used a tack since.

The dining room sideboard here had nylon buttons and built in the early
'50s; was new when folks added on to our "little house" then. Folks
brought it with them when they remodeled the "big house" in '80s.

Since we've been back I've had to shim under it since it's suffered the
similar fate after those buttons failed and the drawers/slides have worn
such the bottom of the drawer front began dragging when closed. I took
the expedient of some of the adhesive-backed melamine strip material of
1/16" thickness on the track strips that was "just right" for it...also
much lower friction than even the waxed wood-on-wood with a wide drawer
containing two full silver service sets plus other serving pieces, etc.,
etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/28/2019 6:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speaking of having the back off, take a look at this thread when you have
a chance. That thread is about the back panels of this piece. Another
curiosity on my part.

Back Panels On Desk - Cutting Error, Modification or Design Feature?

Seems like I recall seeing that before and thinking there wasn't wide
enough context to really tell much???

I'll try to go poke at it again and see if any differing conclusion
arises...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 11:15:28 AM UTC-5, gray_wolf wrote:
On 3/1/2019 6:40 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 6:25:00 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speaking of having the back off, take a look at this thread when you have
a chance. That thread is about the back panels of this piece. Another
curiosity on my part.

Back Panels On Desk - Cutting Error, Modification or Design Feature?

How deep are the drawers compared to how deep the carcass cavity is? If there is some carcass space (1"?) at the rear, maybe there were vertical boards along the back (side) edges, that the back panel attached to, rather than their attaching to the sides of the carcass. I don't see any nail/screw holes to support this idea, but maybe the vertical board attachment evidence are somewhere unseen in your pic.
https://imgur.com/0bXFzQJ

Sonny

What's wrong with some quarter round strips glued in the corners?

There's nothing wrong with that idea, assuming I needed an idea. ;-)

There's nothing that needs to be fixed the back panels. It was just a
curiosity about the way they are attached.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2019 9:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to repair a couple of drawers that have dried out dovetail joints. 2
drawers, maybe 16 pins.

So, how's the drawer pins repair coming along???

Inquisitive minds and all that...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 4:47:07 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 2/23/2019 9:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to repair a couple of drawers that have dried out dovetail joints. 2
drawers, maybe 16 pins.

So, how's the drawer pins repair coming along???

Inquisitive minds and all that...

One weekend out of town, one weekend hanging with my daughter who
came in from out of town, night's working on my TS arbor.

Haven't touched the drawers. There's no rush. I'll keep you posted
though.