Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Bench - Finally Done

I finished my daughter's bench. It's a good thing that I don't do this
stuff for a living. My hourly rate would be in the negative numbers.

It's ready for delivery and ultimately to be painted. Painting it is her
choice. She's going to match her already painted dining room table and
chairs. Although painting it would not be my first choice, it's her bench
so I didn't say a word.

This was my first project made from over-sized S2S wood. First use of my
planer. A jointer would have helped. Instead, I made a edge jointer jig for
my table saw fence. It works fine for short boards, but it's tough to joint
a 8/4 x 10 x 6' board, especially in my small shop.

I used three 8/4 x 8' poplar boards, one of which was twisted as some of
you may recall from my "Is My Planer Set Up Correctly" thread. Probably not
the best choice for first-time planer use but I managed.

The design is essentially 100% my daughter's. I offered her options
(straight legs or angled, flat seat or grooved, location of stretcher,
etc.) The result was based on her choices.

60"L x 14"W x 18"H

Comments, questions and concerns most assuredly welcome.

https://i.imgur.com/Ju4XAWW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lKWXiTy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ofie3zU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/49h33u2.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Looks terrific! Nicely done.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2019 5:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I used three 8/4 x 8' poplar boards, one of which was twisted as some of
you may recall from my "Is My Planer Set Up Correctly" thread. Probably not
the best choice for first-time planer use but I managed.

Quite a lot of grain for poplar...

The design is essentially 100% my daughter's. I offered her options
(straight legs or angled, flat seat or grooved, location of stretcher,
etc.) The result was based on her choices.

60"L x 14"W x 18"H

Comments, questions and concerns most assuredly welcome.

How did you attach the leg brackets and legs?

That's a cross-grain connection there...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It looks really nice. She will love it. Good job.

https://i.imgur.com/49h33u2.jpg

I suppose you sanded the bottom of the feet (end grain) nice and smooth AND that she will prime it before painting.

Might recommend to her to thin a bit of primer for the feet bottoms. Thinned primer will adhere (soak in a bit) better on that end grain, helping counter any unseen saw dust and/or dirt/dust that might interfere with primer adhesion.

With best adhered primer/paint, if she applies felt or vinyl casters to the feet, the caster's adhesive will less likely loosen/peel off the primer-paint.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I'm not quite sure which leg connection you are referring to, so I'll
explain both.

This is what I refer to as a "leg assembly". The legs are 2-1/2" x 2-1/2".
They are attached to the top of the leg assembly with glue and four 2-1/2"
pocket screws. 2 on the inside (shown) and 2 on the outside.

https://i.imgur.com/SBLp0Rr.jpg

The leg assembly is then attached to the seat with glue and four 2-1/2" HD
Kreg screws, although they are not in pockets. They are screwed in at
roughly the same angle as the legs, 12.5°. A Kreg HD screw is basically a
1/4" lag screw with a square drive head. (image later)

Here you can see the filled pocket holes at the top of the outside of the
leg and the not-yet-filled counter sunk holes for the HD screws.

https://i.imgur.com/KHws2hD.jpg

A Kreg HD screw, just in case you are not familiar.

https://i.imgur.com/Y6tm2sd.jpg?1

Every connection is glued and pocket screwed. The glue may be over-kill
but I figured if it provided even the tiniest bit of wiggle-prevention,
the screws would experience that much less side-to-side stress. Cheap and
easy, so why not?

I asked my daughter numerous times if she stilled planned on painting it,
even after she had seen the completed seat, which was the first part that
was built. Without hesitation she said "Yes" so I knew that pocket screws
with filled holes would be OK.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:28:35 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It looks really nice. She will love it. Good job.

https://i.imgur.com/49h33u2.jpg

I suppose you sanded the bottom of the feet (end grain) nice and smooth AND that she will prime it before painting.

Might recommend to her to thin a bit of primer for the feet bottoms. Thinned primer will adhere (soak in a bit) better on that end grain, helping counter any unseen saw dust and/or dirt/dust that might interfere with primer adhesion.

With best adhered primer/paint, if she applies felt or vinyl casters to the feet, the caster's adhesive will less likely loosen/peel off the primer-paint.

Sonny

I did sand the bottom of the feet. I was considering adhering those plastic
sliders before I deliver it. She has an area rug in the dining room. Maybe
I should apply a few coats of wipe-on poly to seal the end grain before
attaching the sliders. Thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2019 9:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I did sand the bottom of the feet. I was considering adhering those plastic
sliders before I deliver it. She has an area rug in the dining room. Maybe
I should apply a few coats of wipe-on poly to seal the end grain before
attaching the sliders. Thoughts?

Used indoors I don't think sealer will matter much but glides would help.

Nice looking bench. Yeah, a shame to paint it, but, , ,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 10:12:50 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2019 9:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I did sand the bottom of the feet. I was considering adhering those plastic
sliders before I deliver it. She has an area rug in the dining room. Maybe
I should apply a few coats of wipe-on poly to seal the end grain before
attaching the sliders. Thoughts?

Used indoors I don't think sealer will matter much but glides would help.

The purpose of the sealer would be to help the adhesive glides adhese
better on the end grain, assuming enough buildup. Nothing to do with
inside vs. out.

Nice looking bench. Yeah, a shame to paint it, but, , ,

Thanks...and yeah.

So far she hasn't painted the bed I built her yet. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Nice

BTW, that is why its called a "hobby," it allows you to take all the time you need and spend ridiculous amounts, with no attending guilt. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:39:04 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I did sand the bottom of the feet. I was considering adhering those plastic
sliders before I deliver it. She has an area rug in the dining room.

Be careful what you buy, sliders or the stickum casters!! The sliders don't have the adhesive stickum. Sliders are used just for sliding/moving furniture. You don't want the sliders. I've mistakenly bought the sliders, when I wanted the felt or vinyl stickum casters. The packaging for each look very much alike, so it's easy to mistakenly pick up the wrong item.

On almost all the furniture I upholstery, I replace these stickum casters, because of adhesion issues. Sand the old surface and apply a reasonable sealer, for better/best caster adhesion. The customers appreciate the extra little effort.

Maybe
I should apply a few coats of wipe-on poly to seal the end grain before
attaching the sliders. Thoughts?

It's preventative maintenance, of sorts, and easy to do, especially if you have some quick-dry poly handy.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Looks great. The paint will help to stabilize movement of the seat if
it were to expand or contract with seasonal changes, unless you
improvised for that movement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Paint? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Concerning the design. How far are the legs inset under the seat? It looks to me like they are in a fair amount. One foot. So a person, child, sitting on the end of the bench could tip the whole thing up like a teeter totter. I realize its too late to move the legs outward more. But maybe its not too late to trim the ends of the bench off a few inches so there is less overhang.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Paint? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Concerning the design. How far are the legs inset under the seat? It looks to me like they are in a fair amount. One foot.

No, 8". That's not so far that someone tilts the bench, besides, her friends butts are, most likely, nicely sized (hubba hubba), not to be a problem.

Now, this bench's legs are a bit too far from the ends - https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

When I, 220 lbs, sit on the end, the other end rises. The seat is 8' long, the legs are 5' apart. I made the legs to fit inside the table's legs. Sometimes you learn from mistakes, as this.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:34:45 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:39:04 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I did sand the bottom of the feet. I was considering adhering those plastic
sliders before I deliver it. She has an area rug in the dining room.

Be careful what you buy, sliders or the stickum casters!! The sliders don't have the adhesive stickum.

I beg to differ:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...44EB/203672156

Bought, installed and briefly tested. So far, so good.

Yes, they also sell non-adhesive styles, typically with a foam pad on the
"top" so that the piece of furniture doesn't slide around on the slider
itself.

Aren't casters "wheels"?

caster
noun [ C ] US €‹ /ˈkæs·tÉ™r/
€‹
a small wheel, usually one of a set, that is fixed to the bottom, usually
of the leg, of a piece of furniture so that it can be moved easily

Sliders are used just for sliding/moving furniture. You don't want the
sliders. I've mistakenly bought the sliders, when I wanted the felt or
vinyl stickum casters. The packaging for each look very much alike, so
it's easy to mistakenly pick up the wrong item.

Felt sliders are typically labeled for use on hard floors:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...4424/306229486

The hard plastic style are for use on almost all surfaces, especially
carpet, where felt won't work very well. They also work on floors.

On almost all the furniture I upholstery, I replace these stickum casters,
because of adhesion issues. Sand the old surface and apply a reasonable
sealer, for better/best caster adhesion. The customers appreciate the
extra little effort.

Maybe
I should apply a few coats of wipe-on poly to seal the end grain before
attaching the sliders. Thoughts?

It's preventative maintenance, of sorts, and easy to do, especially if you have some quick-dry poly handy.

Sonny

My daughter lives 2.5 hours from me. Based on our schedules, today was the
only day for a few weeks that we could meet up. We adhesed the sliders to the
raw wood after having the discussion stick-to-it-iveness. If they don't
stay on, we'll discuss other options, including screw on sliders.

She took me out for a nice lunch before I drove back home. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 3:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Paint? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Concerning the design. How far are the legs inset under the seat? It looks to me like they are in a fair amount. One foot. So a person, child, sitting on the end of the bench could tip the whole thing up like a teeter totter. I realize its too late to move the legs outward more. But maybe its not too late to trim the ends of the bench off a few inches so there is less overhang.

The leg assemblies are centered at 9" in from the ends of the bench.

My extensive testing, based on the location of my ass relative to the
floor, (which is fairly close) has shown that very, very few individuals
would find it comfortable to sit so close to the end to cause it to tip.

Even with my short legs, my weight ends up squarely over the leg assembly.

Could a child cause it to tip? Possibly, but probably only once. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

Comments, questions and concerns most assuredly welcome.

Nice job! Since you asked for comments, my only concern is how
the brace is attached at each end. If it's just a couple of
nails into end grain, I would add something more substantial--to
make sure it lasts forever! People will surely place their feet
on it... Lovely table!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 20:08:37 -0500, Bill wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:

Comments, questions and concerns most assuredly welcome.

Nice job! Since you asked for comments, my only concern is how
the brace is attached at each end. If it's just a couple of
nails into end grain, I would add something more substantial--to
make sure it lasts forever! People will surely place their feet
on it... Lovely table!

I agree it's nice work.

I've noted several people expressing concern over attachment of the
legs. If you look closely you'll see that there are plugs consistent
with pocket-hole screws. Looks like 4 per leg. Can't tell if there
is also dowelling or tenons, or, for that matter, if what look like
plugs are in fact dowel-ends.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

Comments, questions and concerns most assuredly welcome.

Nice job! Since you asked for comments, my only concern is how
the brace is attached at each end. If it's just a couple of
nails into end grain, I would add something more substantial--to
make sure it lasts forever! People will surely place their feet
on it... Lovely table!

I agree it's nice work.

I've noted several people expressing concern over attachment of the
legs. If you look closely you'll see that there are plugs consistent
with pocket-hole screws. Looks like 4 per leg. Can't tell if there
is also dowelling or tenons, or, for that matter, if what look like
plugs are in fact dowel-ends.

Good eye.

Four 2-1/2" pocket screws per leg into the horizontal brace.

Four 2-1/2" HD counter sunk pocket screws (not pocketed) attach the
brace to the bench. The screws were driven at a 12.5° angle. Same angle
as the legs 'cuz that's how the drill had to be held. ;-)

I threw some glue at all connection points just for good measure.

Pocket holes are filled here, counter sunk holes were filled later:

https://i.imgur.com/KHws2hD.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 11:30:09 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

I did not improvise for movement, but I did tell my daughter that she
should at least get primer on it as soon as possible for the very reason
you mentioned - seasonal changes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 6:36:44 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Be careful what you buy, sliders or the stickum casters!! The sliders don't have the adhesive stickum.

I beg to differ:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...44EB/203672156

Well, I'll concur. As I typed, I used the wrong term.

Seems the stores have sliders and gliders, the gliders being the adhesive pads. I knew there was two similar items and I've made the mistake (when in a rush) of buying sliders, when I wanted adhesive gliders. It was this mistake I was conveying to you.

I've used the term casters before, though, when informing customers of the replacing of their furniture's pads.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

For future situations, you can make the pilot hole a little larger in
diameter to compensate for movement.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 10:02:20 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 6:36:44 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Be careful what you buy, sliders or the stickum casters!! The sliders don't have the adhesive stickum.

I beg to differ:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...44EB/203672156

Well, I'll concur. As I typed, I used the wrong term.

Seems the stores have sliders and gliders, the gliders being the adhesive pads. I knew there was two similar items and I've made the mistake (when in a rush) of buying sliders, when I wanted adhesive gliders. It was this mistake I was conveying to you.

I've used the term casters before, though, when informing customers of the replacing of their furniture's pads.

Did they get a confused look on their face? ;-)

I did some searching and the only times I can find where "casters" and "pads"
are used in conjunction with each other is when they talk about those quick
release caster pads that make swapping out caster (wheel) assemblies easier..

https://casterconnection.com/caster-...top-plate.html

The Kitchen Bookcases - Finally Done DerbyDad03 Woodworking 22 July 25th 18 09:16 PM
Finally Rev Share Done Right Rebecca B Home Repair 8 December 16th 12 03:26 PM
Finally got it done jtpr Woodworking 29 October 4th 11 09:59 PM
Got my water line done (finally) Steve Barker[_2_] Home Repair 3 August 18th 07 02:17 PM
Cabinet finally done rthomps9 Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 April 6th 07 11:53 PM