Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Walnut Root Ball

I'm kind of interested in this root ball. I'm hesitant because I don't have an immediate project in mind, but I can imagine a possible potential.

https://cenla.craigslist.org/art/d/h...766271800.html

I don't generally price this sort of "lumber". Considering I'd have to travel about 200 miles to collect it and all the work involved to produce a finished project, I'm of the mind that I might pay a gratuity for its availability, rather than pay for the wood stock itself.

I suspect the owner would like a fairly nice fee for it, but I don't want to pay anything for it. I'm inclined to ask to be paid to haul it off. I think the owner is a lady and I'm not sure she knows too much about lumber prices/pricing/logging in general, etc. I don't want to tell/imply, to her, that she doesn't know about lumber, etal, though her ad is directed to craftsmen. Seems she doesn't/may not know the work involved, hence the relative worth of the wood stock. I don't want to insult the lady as to her knowledge or with regard to any fee she may want or with my negotiation (pros & cons) for a possible low-price offer.

As for as I know, there is no precedent for pricing root ball stock as a wood product (lumber). This sort of stock is generally discarded, i.e., one pays for it to be removed.

Though you all might not have interests in this sort of "lumber", What value might you place on the root ball, only, so that the lady would be satisfied with some sort of (gratuity?) offer, if anything at all?

If you owned the root ball, would you expect it has a value and, if so, what value?

Thanks.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2019 10:54 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

It would not be listed if they thought it had no value. If you
approached me wanting to be paid to haul it off, I'd just tell you to F
off as you are an insulting p&&ck. But she may like you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 07:54:56 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Withn the size of that thing I can imagine there are LOTS of nice
projects hidden away inside it - its FIVE FEET in diameter for crying
out loud!!
The roots are nearly worthless. The work is intense; the results,
minimal. The buttress where the trunk flares out just above ground
level is where the best stock wood comes from. Don't waste your time
trying to clean up and saw anything from below ground level.

There may or not be a "burl" at the bottom - hard to tell from that
picture - and if there is, it's GOLD. It doesn't look obvious if there
is one there however. Still a lot of nice patterned wood in there for
gunstocks and other fancy items - as well as some nice bowls and other
turning projects - and a couple nice tables - just for starters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It's been on CraigsList for 2 months - but out of the ground 2
weeks ? I suspect that the seller has a price in mind that isn't
realistic, and has turned-down a few " I'll take it off your hands "
offers - like you are considering.. Try $ 50. if the next guy
pays $ 100. you haven't lost anything - you never wanted it that
bad in the first place.
... in much of Canada, $ 50. is ~ a case of beer or a bottle of
rye ; and less than a fill-up at the gas station, so judge the
value compared to your own every-day yardsticks.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Figure the number of board feet you can get out of it, check the price
of rough-sawn black walnut, deduct the milling cost and markup, and
that's a fair offer IMO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

If it was a log - maybe - but most people who want dimensional
lumber would not bother with this sort of piece, so wouldn't price it
the same. Turners and carvers like the difficult burls and crotches
- those are not priced by board-foot.
The price value of a burl or other special piece is in the wallet
of the beholder and quite variable.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Each of you have made valid points. If you are familiar with working with root ball stock, then you might understand my position better. I suspect some of your thoughts are with respect to what's on the open market, in wood/lumber supply outlets.

A firm who makes/supplies turning blanks, gun stocks, etc. and supplies lumber outlets will have a commercial organization supplying those items. Their stock will likely come from forests, the trees most likely free of human intervention. The commercial organization will more likely supply a damaged/defected free product, so value wise I can accept a forest root ball as having a significant value.

A root ball or even a log from someone's lawn or subject to people's living will likely have wire/fence, nails or other metal in the trucks and root balls. "Lawn trees" are often subjected to damage by the residents, hence the wood may have a high probability of internal defects. Some mills won't even consider milling such logs, because of the likelihood of such foreign objects being so common place inside the wood.

Just because someone thinks it has value, doesn't mean it does, especially if the person is unknowing about "lawn trees". Hidden amenities of a forest root ball is countered by hidden negative aspects of a lawn root ball. I'll bet this root ball comes from someone's "lawn". Forest walnut has longer trunks than 6'. Lawn trunks are more often short, as this one is. I'm inclined to think they removed a damaged(?) tree and (eyesore?) stump from their "lawn"/residence.

Five feet in diameter? That's the spread of the roots, which you state are nearly worthless. The remaining ball may very well have nice aspects. Though my interests don't include turning, gun stocks, etc., that doesn't mean that value isn't there.

At the time the ad was posted, two months ago, the root ball had been out of the ground for 2 weeks.

My thoughts are to offer a reasonable gratuity fee for their work of getting it out of the ground. Because of the suspect lawn tree probability, any further value is very limited. $50 may be reasonable.

I've only worked with one lawn root ball, so that's where my experience and opinions come from. I really need to see the root ball, though. I sent an email asking for more pics.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2019 8:41 AM, Sonny wrote:
Each of you have made valid points. If you are familiar with working with root ball stock, then you might understand my position better. I suspect some of your thoughts are with respect to what's on the open market, in wood/lumber supply outlets.

Well, turns out you really didn't want/care about other opinions,
anyway, ... just hoping to justify taking advantage of a situation.

The distance is a downside, I'll agree, but that's not the seller's
problem that you don't happen to live next door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:41:16 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

If you are familiar with working with root ball stock,
then you might understand my position better.
I've only worked with one lawn root ball, so that's where
my experience and opinions come from.
I really need to see the root ball, though.
I sent an email asking for more pics.
Sonny

I've no personal experience, but I know a couple of guys
who make fancy bowls by carving or turning such pieces.
They would generally pay someone for his trouble for setting a piece
aside for them but no great price to the farmer or sawmill - just a
little bonus for saving an otherwise useless piece of firewood.
Just beacuse the craftsman charges $ 400. for the finished bowl
doesn't mean they paid the Mennonite farmer a big price ..
I think the blocks have to dry for a couple years then carved/turned
in stages after that. The inside is a nice mystery to uncover -
grain and colour and defects all add to the finished effect.
Live edge slabs are in vogue lately - showing up at farm auctions
and even at estate auctions.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 9:14:38 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

Well, turns out you really didn't want/care about other opinions,
anyway, ... just hoping to justify taking advantage of a situation.

well, yes I did want/care for opinions. If someone is familiar with both lawn/residence root balls as opposed to forest root balls, then a comparative opinion can be given. And based on those pros and con opinions I asked about a value.

I said I worked with one root ball. Actually, I've worked with two. I didn't have to buy them. They were on our property. I had/have no idea as to a reasonable cost for the root ball.

To some extent, I did want to validate my opinions and cost, but I didn't want to insult the lady, either, who I suspect is somewhat unknowing. I didn't have in mind to use her lack of knowledge, to acquire the ball for free.. I would want the ball for free if it has serious damage, defects, metal, yet pay a gratuity fee for their work to dig it up.

Your collective opinions allows me to further evaluate reasonable money options for me and for the lady. That was my aim.

Sometimes I don't always say, appropriately, all that I'm thinking, as I type, to be clear with what I'm trying to learn or figure out. That's why I come here and ask you guys and girls for help.

Sincerely.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Link no longer working. They must have found a taker.

Kiln Drying Root Ball Slabs Sonny Woodworking 2 May 9th 14 10:41 PM
Walnut Root Ball Sonny Woodworking 7 May 5th 14 07:40 PM
Anyone turned a root ball? NoOne N Particular Woodturning 1 February 19th 08 08:02 PM
Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber? Leon Woodworking 43 November 27th 04 12:07 AM
Black Walnut or Puruvian Walnut? Leon Woodworking 2 April 25th 04 04:30 PM