Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Help with chainsaw.... Plus

New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250. Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles. Made 8 cuts, then saw stopped working properly. Saw starts, runs ok, but once you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas. Fuel filter seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks. I removed the carburetor and blew it out, as best I thought. I suspect something (trash?) is blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or where. Service center estimates $80 - $100 to repair. A new carb is $12 + shipping from Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to the problem.

Any clues as to what needs to be done to get my saw back up and running properly? I'm not very mechanically/small engine inclined, so I'm not comfortable delving into the carb too deeply, if that may be the problem, but I may try cleaning it, if need be... not sure how.

Project: Repairing the old homestead's barn.... it's in bad shape, from neglect. Right side overhang is falling down, as is the back of the barn. The sills are termite eaten and we're replacing/repairing what we can, within reason.... not a total remodel, but just enough to make things somewhat usable for moderate storage and/or out of the weather. The cut telephone poles will be the new sills.

Some pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/
Removed the chimney from the old house, patched up the wall & roof, there. And some barn pics.

Received the Chestnut trees from Willis Orchards. Hope to get them planted this coming week.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry to hear that Sonny. It sounds like it should still be under warranty. One thing to check. Is the chain unlocked? You have to pull back on the blade guard to release it if its been locked for some reason
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2019 12:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250. Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles. Made 8 cuts, then saw stopped working properly. Saw starts, runs ok, but once you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas. Fuel filter seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks. I removed the carburetor and blew it out, as best I thought. I suspect something (trash?) is blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or where. Service center estimates $80 - $100 to repair. A new carb is $12 + shipping from Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to the problem.

Any clues as to what needs to be done to get my saw back up and running properly? coming week.

Sonny

I'd take the chain off and clean everything. I'm wondering if the
creosote has it gummed up
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2019 11:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/9/2019 12:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250.Â* Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles.Â*Â* Made 8
cuts, then saw stopped working properly.Â* Saw starts, runs ok, but
once you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas.Â*Â* Fuel
filter seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks.Â* I removed the
carburetor and blew it out, as best I thought.Â* I suspect something
(trash?) is blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or
where.Â*Â*Â* Service center estimates $80 - $100 to repair.Â* A new carb
is $12 + shipping from Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the
carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to
the problem.

Any clues as to what needs to be done to get my saw back up and
running properly?Â*Â* coming week.

Sonny

I'd take the chain off and clean everything.Â* I'm wondering if the
creosote has it gummed up

Have you checked the spark screen? Its a screen that looks like the
muffler gasket when assembled. I've had 2 engines that ran properly
until warmed ( operated for about 30 minutes). Then they would start but
could not open the throttle. Removed the plate. Replaced the muffler.
Ran like new. In locales that have prominent big brother activity its
illegal to operate the engine w/o the screen.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2019 12:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/9/2019 12:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250.Â* Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles.Â*Â* Made 8
cuts, then saw stopped working properly.Â* Saw starts, runs ok, but once
you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas.Â*Â* Fuel filter
seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks.Â* I removed the carburetor
and blew it out, as best I thought.Â* I suspect something (trash?) is
blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or where.Â*Â*Â* Service
center estimates $80 - $100 to repair.Â* A new carb is $12 + shipping from
Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to the
problem.

Any clues as to what needs to be done to get my saw back up and running
properly?Â*Â* coming week.

Sonny

I'd take the chain off and clean everything.Â* I'm wondering if the creosote
has it gummed up

Not familiar with that model but if it anything like my old dependable
Stihl you can remove the chain and the clutch/drive quite easily. Do that
and try running it again. If it revs freely like that then the problem is
drag in the chain somewhere. It could be something as sneaky as gunk from
the poles getting into the chain slot in the bar and bogging it down. (This
might also suggest that the bar lubrication system isn't working properly.)
I've heard of such drag happening when cutting a lot of sappy pine. The bar
nosepiece needs to be lubricated frequently too (that is what the little
holes up there are for and everyone should have the odd little grease that
fits there).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2019 11:22 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Is the chain break engaged? This has happened to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2019 11:22 AM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250. Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles. Made 8 cuts, then saw stopped working properly. Saw starts, runs ok, but once you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas. Fuel filter seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks. I removed the carburetor and blew it out, as best I thought. I suspect something (trash?) is blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or where. Service center estimates $80 - $100 to repair. A new carb is $12 + shipping from Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to the problem.

The only reason that I mention this, Sonny, is that you didn't: Is the
chain properly adjusted and the chain oiler full?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:58:41 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Is the chain break engaged? This has happened to me.

Break is not engaged. Chain spins freely when running, either when initially choked to start and a bit off choke. Idles ok. When I pull the trigger it'll start to run, but immediately hesitates, release the trigger, back to idle ok somewhat, but as soon as I engage the trigger, the motor hesitates, then shuts off.

It runs, chain spins fine. The spark arrester (screen on muffler) is clean.. I removed the fuel filter, it seemed fine, but I cleaned it anyway. I highly the carb is blocked between the fuel tank and carb, just inside the carb. I poured fuel into the air filter opening, into the carb, and it ran fine, then hesitated/stopped as before.

I'm not familiar enough with these carburetors to disassemble/assemble them properly, so I'm hesitant to disassemble. I'm leaning toward ordering a new carb. I may disassemble this one, later, maybe find the problem, then.

To the right of the air filter there is another small cylinder gadget, the tank vent. Never saw one as this before. Wasn't one on my old Stihl. It has a pin hole in its internal parts. I blew into it, very slow air flow. I might try replacing this, also. Item #17 in this diagram -
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/...636-40e3-a67c/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 13:41:43 -0600, shiggins wrote:

[...]

What oilmix are you using, and what fuel?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:40:12 PM UTC-6, Clare Snyder wrote:

What oilmix are you using, and what fuel?

I use the pre-measured oil (containers) with ethanol free gas, same as I've always used.

I'll get some carb cleaner and see how effective that is. In the meantime, I've ordered a new carb and it should be here tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try a new fuel filter, then a tank vent. All inexpensive parts, so I'll try that hit-or-miss approach.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

[...]

My guess is that it's a tiny split in the fuel line:
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/...7b00-4c59-a545
Very comman issue w/Stihl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQouxSr1n8

I've had to replace the fuel line TWICE on my MS-290 since buying it new in 2000.

Carb removal is not necessary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wFHrCPi2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh90_ax9K8

Posted to rec.woodworking

My guess is that it's a tiny split in the fuel line:
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/...7b00-4c59-a545
Very comman issue w/Stihl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQouxSr1n8

Since the saw is new, I haven't suspected the fuel line is bad. Last night I did blow it out from the carb toward the tank, removing the fuel filter first.

Today I gave the carb a shot of cleaner. I had cleaned it with straight gas, yesterday, but that didn't help, so not sure the carb cleaner was the fix.

The saw seems to be working fine, now. I'm suspecting it was debris in the fuel line. I only ran it for 30 seconds, so a true test will come with longer use. I'm headed back to the barn work, today.

Thanks everyone.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 2/9/2019 11:22 AM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250. Used once before.

Is the chain break engaged? This has happened to me.

Does the chain break regularly? Or did you mean "brake"? ...:-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:55:24 AM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 2/9/2019 11:22 AM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250. Used once before.

Is the chain break engaged? This has happened to me.

Does the chain break regularly? Or did you mean "brake"? ...:-)

LOL.

Update. Used the saw yesterday, 6-8 cuts in 10" creosote logs. It repeated the previous symptoms and eventually stopped, wouldn't even crank/run. This morning I blew the fuel line, form the carb end toward the fuel tank.. Cranked right up and ran smoothly. Seems obvious debris is getting into the line.

I don't know how debris is getting into the line so easily, if it is. The filter seems perfect and has no debris on it. I wonder if the fuel line, itself, is deteriorating on its inside, somehow, producing the debris.

More cutting is to be done, so I'll monitor the goings on.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2019 7:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:58:41 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Is the chain break engaged? This has happened to me.

Break is not engaged. Chain spins freely when running, either when initially choked to start and a bit off choke. Idles ok. When I pull the trigger it'll start to run, but immediately hesitates, release the trigger, back to idle ok somewhat, but as soon as I engage the trigger, the motor hesitates, then shuts off.

My 2 stroke blower and line trimmer will act this way. I very often, to
always, have to feather the choke after it starts to get it warmed up
enough to accelerate with out the choke. It acts like you describe.
Especially when it is cool to cold I have to leave the choke partially
engaged until thoroughly warmed up. I often have to do this even if it
has set for 30 minutes and I need to restart.

AND I always use premium gasoline, Echo oil for the gas, and a gas
stabilizer for the gas can. A lot of trouble but it works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2019 8:55 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 2/9/2019 11:22 AM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250. Used once before.

Is the chain break engaged? This has happened to me.

Does the chain break regularly? Or did you mean "brake"? ...:-)

I should'a said brake, not break.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 13:09:23 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/9/2019 7:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Correct - and with the "smogged" engines without adjustments on the
carb the ethanol free gas is more important, because the engine runs
LEANER with ethanol (due to the lower energy content of ethanolthan
gasoline) meaning the choke needs to stay on longer - which is one
reason I asked what fuel was being used.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/9/2019 7:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

And ethanol added to gasoline attracts moisture from the atmosphere.
Eventually you end up with a puddle of water in your gas can and or fuel
tank.