Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What paint for furniture

I got a nice little desk from the Salvation Army for $69 (US).
But it is white. Now I need to figure what kind of paint I
need to change the color. I need something pretty tough,
because I will be using it as a desk and a part time
workbench for assembling small items. The top has some
mars, I will need to clean and seal it. On one edge it
is damaged a bit. Probably from being pushed up against
a wall.

I understand that the procedure for the painting is:
1 Clean it good with some sort of general purpose cleaner.
2 Sand it with fine grit sandpaper.
3 Clean it with a tack cloth.
4 Prime it
5 Sand
6 Tack Cloth
7 Paint 2 coats.
8 let dry thoroughly

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:23:57 -0600, Bill Gill
wrote:

I got a nice little desk from the Salvation Army for $69 (US).
But it is white. Now I need to figure what kind of paint I
need to change the color. I need something pretty tough,
because I will be using it as a desk and a part time
workbench for assembling small items. The top has some
mars, I will need to clean and seal it. On one edge it
is damaged a bit. Probably from being pushed up against
a wall.
I understand that the procedure for the painting is:
1 Clean it good with some sort of general purpose cleaner.
2 Sand it with fine grit sandpaper.
3 Clean it with a tack cloth.
4 Prime it
5 Sand
6 Tack Cloth
7 Paint 2 coats.
8 let dry thoroughly
Any suggestions? Thanks Bill

Maybe a few coats of polyurethane - over the paint -
on the top for durability ?
... making the toughness of the paint less of a factor.
Be sure to let the paint cure for a week or so.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I got a nice little desk from the Salvation Army for $69 (US).
But it is white. Now I need to figure what kind of paint I
need to change the color. I need something pretty tough,
because I will be using it as a desk and a part time
workbench for assembling small items. The top has some
mars, I will need to clean and seal it. On one edge it
is damaged a bit. Probably from being pushed up against
a wall.

I understand that the procedure for the painting is:
1 Clean it good with some sort of general purpose cleaner.
2 Sand it with fine grit sandpaper.
3 Clean it with a tack cloth.
4 Prime it
5 Sand
6 Tack Cloth
7 Paint 2 coats.
8 let dry thoroughly

Any suggestions?

Waterborne polyurethane is probably the safe bet. Something
solvent-based is risky unless you know what's already on it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2019 9:23 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
I got a nice little desk from the Salvation Army for $69 (US).
But it is white.Â* Now I need to figure what kind of paint I
need to change the color.Â* I need something pretty tough,
because I will be using it as a desk and a part time
workbench for assembling small items.Â* The top has some
mars, I will need to clean and seal it.Â* On one edge it
is damaged a bit.Â* Probably from being pushed up against
a wall.

Is it possible that the wood under the paint is something really nice?
If so, I'd strip it and polyurethane it. If you want paint, a good
enamel should do.

Going back 30 years or more, it was common for people to "antique"
furniture by painting it with a kit. Some nice wood got hidden for the
sake of some trendy style.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:24:02 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
I got a nice little desk from the Salvation Army for $69 (US).
But it is white. Now I need to figure what kind of paint I
need to change the color. I need something pretty tough,
because I will be using it as a desk and a part time
workbench for assembling small items. The top has some
mars, I will need to clean and seal it. On one edge it
is damaged a bit. Probably from being pushed up against
a wall.

I understand that the procedure for the painting is:
1 Clean it good with some sort of general purpose cleaner.
2 Sand it with fine grit sandpaper.
3 Clean it with a tack cloth.
4 Prime it
5 Sand
6 Tack Cloth
7 Paint 2 coats.
8 let dry thoroughly

Any suggestions?

Check out Benjamin Moore Advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2019 8:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/24/2019 9:23 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
I got a nice little desk from the Salvation Army for $69 (US).
But it is white.Â* Now I need to figure what kind of paint I
need to change the color.Â* I need something pretty tough,
because I will be using it as a desk and a part time
workbench for assembling small items.Â* The top has some
mars, I will need to clean and seal it.Â* On one edge it
is damaged a bit.Â* Probably from being pushed up against
a wall.

Is it possible that the wood under the paint is something really nice?
If so, I'd strip it and polyurethane it.Â* If you want paint, a good
enamel should do.

Going back 30 years or more, it was common for people to "antique"
furniture by painting it with a kit.Â* Some nice wood got hidden for the
sake of some trendy style.

This desk was built in Vietnam for Pottery Barn Kids. I doubt
if it is all that wonderful. My first thought was High Density
Fiberboard, although the drawers look kind of like wood.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2019 8:23 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

so that objects will not stick to the surface I would advise to avoid
latex type paints. I would go with an Alkaid Oil based paint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 12:07:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

The Benjamin Moore Advance paint may fit the need without the oil paint
clean up.

"A premium quality, waterborne alkyd enamel that delivers the desired
flow and leveling characteristics of conventional alkyd paint. It
provides a tough, satin finish that stands up to repeated washing.
It is easy to apply, resists spattering and cleans up with soap and
water."

I used it on the cabinet/bookcase I built for the kitchen.

"Ideal for interior doors, trim, cabinets, walls, and ceilings. For
primed or previously painted wallboard, plaster, masonry, wood and
metal."**

However...

"Depending on weather and drying conditions, it could take up to 30 days
to reach optimum hardness and final sheen."

Because of other things I was doing in the kitchen and then a 2 week
vacation, I was actually able to let my project cure for the full 30 days
before use.

**I'm not sure about that "Ideal for...walls and ceilings" claim. Even my
Benjamin Moore dealer was hesitant. When I went to buy the paint for the
kitchen walls, she suggested the Aura line instead of the Advance. She said
it can be very hard to prevent sags with the Advance line. It is kind of
thick.

The Aura is very quick drying. Under the proper conditions you can recoat in
1 hour. I actually enjoyed painting with it. Did the whole kitchen in one day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2019 5:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I found a review of the Aura paint. The reviewer apparently had some
of the same problems. He suggested General Finishes paint. It is
available here in Tulsa at Woodcraft.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2019 7:23 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

It's a $69 Salvation Army desk that you're going to be using
as a workbench. Paint it however you want. Use spray paint
if you want to avoid brush or roller marks. If you mess up
the surface during use, give the top a quick prep and paint it again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 9:34:38 PM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I posted nothing related to "problems" with the Aura paint.

In fact, my exact words we "I actually enjoyed painting with it."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2019 10:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

My bad. I meant the Advance.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thanks for the input. Now I just have to choose my paint and
get to work.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

And why I suggested an oil based paint. They typically are good to go
in 24 hours.

As far as clean up goes. I would much rather clean up with thinner than
soap and water. Thinner cuts oil based paint almost instantly. Soap
and water on water based paint takes quite a while at the faucet. I
throw rollers away for both paints.

Because of other things I was doing in the kitchen and then a 2 week
vacation, I was actually able to let my project cure for the full 30 days
before use.

**I'm not sure about that "Ideal for...walls and ceilings" claim. Even my
Benjamin Moore dealer was hesitant. When I went to buy the paint for the
kitchen walls, she suggested the Aura line instead of the Advance. She said
it can be very hard to prevent sags with the Advance line. It is kind of
thick.

The Aura is very quick drying. Under the proper conditions you can recoat in
1 hour. I actually enjoyed painting with it. Did the whole kitchen in one day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 12:05:59 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Ah, but a question still remains:

Which ends up harder after it's own published curing time? I don't know the
answer, I just ask the questions. ;-)

In other words, does the Advance paint end up harder and more durable after
it's 30 day complete cure than the oil paint does after it's 24 hour complete
cure? Let's not quibble over cure times. Let's wait 6 months and then test
both paints. I'm pretty sure that they would both be 100% cured by then.

If the Advance paint is harder than the oil 6 months down the road, then
it's the better paint for a "desk/part time workbench". Again, I'm not saying
that it will be, I'm simply saying that it's not about cure time, it's about
ultimate hardness/durability.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 11:05:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

A little dish soap, a bucket of water, and an hour or three soaking,
make latex paint pretty much disappear from brushes or rollers. A
quick rinse and an overnight dry an they're good to go again.

I agree, though, this isn't a good application for latex paint. Gotta
be careful to use a non-blocking paint, in any case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2019 5:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I use Sherwin Williams Oil based Alkyd paint on all of my wife's
quilting studio furniture, 7 separate pieces. Nothing sticks to it and
the surface is hard. She regularly swaps out sewing machines from her
8' sewing table with no stick spots or marks left in the paint surface.
If there is a harder drying surface, she/we don't need it. And
seriously who wants to wait 30 days or 6 months to use the surface? We
actually wait 3~4 days to place the sewing machines and fabrics on the
surfaces but we can easily handle the painted surfaces 24 hours after
application.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Understood and that is what I typically do but 10 or so years ago I was
helping a friend paint the interiors to homes, about 25 or so over a 10
year period. We did not have the time to let the brushes soak and dry.
We were putting in 8 hour days, really did not want to spend time
cleaning brushes at the end of the day and needed the brushes to be
ready to go the next day. With oil based and thinner/mineral spirits we
had clean brushes in less than 5 minutes with a double rinse in two
different containers of the cleaners

I agree, though, this isn't a good application for latex paint. Gotta
be careful to use a non-blocking paint, in any case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/19 10:53 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

latex type paints.Â* I would go with an Alkaid Oil based paint.

The Benjamin Moore Advance paint may fit the need without the oil paint
clean up.

"AÂ* premiumÂ* quality, waterborneÂ* alkyd enamel that delivers the
desired
flowÂ* andÂ* levelingÂ* characteristicsÂ* ofÂ* conventional alkyd paint.Â* It
providesÂ* aÂ* tough, satin finishÂ* thatÂ* standsÂ* upÂ* to repeated
washing.
ItÂ* isÂ* easyÂ* toÂ* apply, resistsÂ* spattering and cleans up with soap
and
water."

I used it on the cabinet/bookcase I built for the kitchen.

"IdealÂ* forÂ* interior doors, trim, cabinets,Â* walls,Â* andÂ* ceilings.
For
primed orÂ* previouslyÂ* paintedÂ* wallboard,Â* plaster,Â* masonry, wood and
metal."**

However...

"Depending on weather and drying conditions, it could take up to 30
days
to reach optimum hardness and final sheen."

And why I suggested an oil based paint.Â* They typically are good to go
[...]

quilting studio furniture, 7 separate pieces.Â* Nothing sticks to it and
the surface is hard.Â* She regularly swaps out sewing machines from her
8' sewing table with no stick spots or marks left in the paint surface.
If there is a harder drying surface, she/we don't need it.Â* And
seriously who wants to wait 30 days or 6 months to use the surface?Â* We
actually wait 3~4 days to place the sewing machines and fabrics on the
surfaces but we can easily handle the painted surfaces 24 hours after
application.

Weren't you the guy who swore by conversion varnish for painting stuff
that needs a hard, non-tacky finish.
I was researching some cabinet door/drawer providers and they seem to
all use a conversion varnish as a top coat.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 9:15:14 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I bet it was Robert.

--

-MIKE-

LOL... bet you are right. Still use it, still love it. Can't brush it, but if you can spray lacquer, you can spray this stuff.

A lot of speculation on what to use on furniture, and for me, no question it would be alkyd. Latex is considered a permeable finish, and alkyd is almost impermeable. With alkyd finishes the abrasion resistance is much greater and its light resistance is higher.

Green strength of alkyd is 48-72 hours depending on site conditions such as ventilation, temperature and humidity. Full cure is about 21 days according to SW, Coronado, Pittsburgh etc.

Latex is not a favorite for horizontal surfaces, high abrasion surfaces, or surfaces exposed to water. NOTE: I specified horizontal surfaces. Latex will shed water when given a chance (vertical surfaces) but is still a permeable surface. I have seen green/cure times vary so wildly over the years I wouldn't speculate on either.

So as a contractor, I need something I can control and something I can rely on for specific performance. I use latex on walls, some trims, alkyd on everything else.

To see a brief discussion on permeability of paints, check out this link:

https://www.dulux.ca/diy/tips-tricks...h-the-paint-(4)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 01:05:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 9:15:14 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I bet it was Robert.

--

-MIKE-

LOL... bet you are right. Still use it, still love it. Can't brush it, but if you can spray lacquer, you can spray this stuff.

A lot of speculation on what to use on furniture, and for me, no question it would be alkyd. Latex is considered a permeable finish, and alkyd is almost impermeable. With alkyd finishes the abrasion resistance is much greater and its light resistance is higher.

If abrasion resistance matters to you you want urethane. Some time
back I spent a good bit of the taxpayers' money evaluating the
abrasion resistance of various paints to use on military aircraft and
the result consistently was that urethanes were as a group the most
abrasion resistant paints available. There were more resistant
coatings (thick nickel plating or boron carbide for example) but they
could not be applied with a sprayer.

Green strength of alkyd is 48-72 hours depending on site conditions such as ventilation, temperature and humidity. Full cure is about 21 days according to SW, Coronado, Pittsburgh etc.

Latex is not a favorite for horizontal surfaces, high abrasion surfaces, or surfaces exposed to water. NOTE: I specified horizontal surfaces. Latex will shed water when given a chance (vertical surfaces) but is still a permeable surface. I have seen green/cure times vary so wildly over the years I wouldn't speculate on either.

So as a contractor, I need something I can control and something I can rely on for specific performance. I use latex on walls, some trims, alkyd on everything else.

To see a brief discussion on permeability of paints, check out this link:

https://www.dulux.ca/diy/tips-tricks...h-the-paint-(4)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 6:06:18 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:

If abrasion resistance matters to you you want urethane. Some time
back I spent a good bit of the taxpayers' money evaluating the
abrasion resistance of various paints to use on military aircraft and
the result consistently was that urethanes were as a group the most
abrasion resistant paints available. There were more resistant
coatings (thick nickel plating or boron carbide for example) but they
could not be applied with a sprayer.

No doubt there are superior finishes of all types for any application that address specific aspects of coatings.

Working within the context of the OP's question, I would not suggest a coating that he probably could not apply without training, would no doubt have to purchase additional specialized equipment to apply, and would cost more than the desk itself.

Doubtful a well meaning hobby/DIY guy (but certainly not excluding the possibility) of application of true industrial related coatings (NOT paint) that you speak of.

Just in case, this is my first resource:

https://protective.sherwin-williams.com/

Robert