Old January 12th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar slab cost?

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 11:56:18 PM UTC-5, swalker wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 03:03:53 -0800 (PST), john stau
jgmail.com wrote:

I was toying with the thought of making a dinning room table out of a single solid slab of cedar. I'd like it to be about 72"x48"x4".
I assume it would have to be western red cedar and I do dream of it being one piece not multiple pieces glued up.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what they figure a cedar slab that size would cost me?

Thanks,
john

Don't know where you are located but I saw a shop in NC, I think
Waynesville, that had a number of finished slabs for sale. They were
beautifully finished. Big and small. Some were made into tables and
some were wall pieces. This was last May and if I remember correctly
almost all the pieces came from the Northern CA area and above and
were driftwood salvage. They were shipped in as large tree pieces and
cut in a local shop.

Beautiful work and priced accordingly.

Thanks very much for the help Swalker. I'm in Ottawa Ontario.
John

Old January 12th 19, 04:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:37:05 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

swalker on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:56:04 -0600 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

[...]

Read that as "$$$$$$$!"

Written estimates of cost should have a note on the front: "if you
have a heart condition, please consult with your doctor before
opening."

"If you have to ask..."
Old January 12th 19, 05:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 7:42:34 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

Take a look at this guy (Matthew Cremona) on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9rQMVRlbE&t=1019s

You can try to get in touch with him, not sure where he is located,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/MattCremonaWW/ ...among one location source.

Google his name.

Sonny

Old January 12th 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2019 6:03 AM, john stau wrote:
I was toying with the thought of making a dinning room table out of a single solid slab of cedar. I'd like it to be about 72"x48"x4".

Take a look at this guy (Matthew Cremona) on YouTube.

Cremona states his (youtube) slabs are 2-3/4" thick. Though his are oak and 13' long, a 4" cedar slab will be heavy, also. Look what it takes for Cremona to handle those slabs.

This table top is 2-1/4" thick, 6' long. It wasn't easy or convenient to handle this project, a tea table for a Korean friend. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...n/photostream/

Lots of large tables are built all the time. For heavy stuff, plan well, take your time and your results will turn out great.

Sonny
Old January 12th 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:20:24 -0500 typed in

wrote:

[...]

As a machinist, I was aware that as precision/tolerance goes up,
cost go up faster
0.1" $
0.01 $$
0.001 $$$$