DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Quality 1/4 plywood for project (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/628963-quality-1-4-plywood-project.html)

Michael[_24_] January 7th 19 02:20 AM

Quality 1/4 plywood for project

I need to make a few of these bad boys.

https://halcyonyarn.com/weaving/6600...5--ski-shuttle

The base is 1/4" plywood that's bend to form the ski. It needs to be high quality plywood, but I'm not sure what to ask for or look for. Is there a name or name brand of plywood that I should be buying?

Thanks.

Sonny January 7th 19 03:25 AM

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 7:20:10 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
I need to make a few of these bad boys.

https://halcyonyarn.com/weaving/6600...5--ski-shuttle

The base is 1/4" plywood that's bend to form the ski. It needs to be high quality plywood, but I'm not sure what to ask for or look for. Is there a name or name brand of plywood that I should be buying?

Thanks.

Why not buy some air dried oak or ash, rip some 3/16 slats, sand to 1/8", then laminate your own? A WWII blade would cut 1/8 (or less) slats, leaving little to no saw marks, hence no sanding. Thin slats are easy to bend to form.

I think bending plywood involves heating the ply before bending or while bent..... Hot press type jig for bending.

Sonny

J. Clarke[_5_] January 7th 19 03:34 AM

Quality 1/4 plywood for project

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 17:20:07 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

I need to make a few of these bad boys.

https://halcyonyarn.com/weaving/6600...5--ski-shuttle

The base is 1/4" plywood that's bend to form the ski. It needs to be high quality plywood, but I'm not sure what to ask for or look for. Is there a name or name brand of plywood that I should be buying?

Looks like cold-molded to me. Buy or cut the veneers, make a form,
glue it up in the shape.

Here are a couple of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfrQXvbwtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cQz4rSit8

You could also bend solid wood.

Generally speaking plywood is not bendable after manufacture. There
is some that is flexible but that kind won't hold a bend without
support.

Clare Snyder January 7th 19 03:55 AM

Quality 1/4 plywood for project

wrote:

I need to make a few of these bad boys.

https://halcyonyarn.com/weaving/6600...5--ski-shuttle

The base is 1/4" plywood that's bend to form the ski. It needs to be high quality plywood, but I'm not sure what to ask for or look for. Is there a name or name brand of plywood that I should be buying?

Looks like cold-molded to me. Buy or cut the veneers, make a form,
glue it up in the shape.

Here are a couple of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfrQXvbwtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cQz4rSit8

You could also bend solid wood.

Generally speaking plywood is not bendable after manufacture. There
is some that is flexible but that kind won't hold a bend without
support.

Actually with heat and moisture it is possible to bend some plywoods
by "relaxing" the glue.. I think I'd try doing it in solid though.
Only about 20inches long ---

Michael[_24_] January 7th 19 04:09 AM

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 8:25:05 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 7:20:10 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
I need to make a few of these bad boys.

https://halcyonyarn.com/weaving/6600...5--ski-shuttle

The base is 1/4" plywood that's bend to form the ski. It needs to be high quality plywood, but I'm not sure what to ask for or look for. Is there a name or name brand of plywood that I should be buying?

Thanks.

Why not buy some air dried oak or ash, rip some 3/16 slats, sand to 1/8", then laminate your own? A WWII blade would cut 1/8 (or less) slats, leaving little to no saw marks, hence no sanding. Thin slats are easy to bend to form.

I think bending plywood involves heating the ply before bending or while bent..... Hot press type jig for bending.

Sonny

J. Clarke and Sonny, Thanks for the input! I think you are right. Given the width of the ski, the cuts will not be that difficult. Also, gluing my own veneers will be mean the project won't take long to complete (won't have to wait for the bend to dry).

Michael[_24_] January 7th 19 04:13 AM

wrote:

[...]

Clare, Yes, it's not at all difficult to steam and bend 1/4 thick plywood. It will just take a while for it to dry properly after the bend. I don't know if there's a name for high quality plywood with quality wood and no glue voids that people use to make, for example, boxes or cases.

Clare Snyder January 7th 19 04:35 AM

Quality 1/4 plywood for project

wrote:

[...]

baltic birch or russian birch - or aircraft grade plywood.

The Baltic stuff is pretty widelyavailable.

whit3rd January 14th 19 04:42 AM

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 7:13:25 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:

Clare, Yes, it's not at all difficult to steam and bend 1/4 thick plywood.

That's going to depend. Not all woods soften with steam, not all plywood layups
and glues are the same. There ARE bending-grade plywood products, but for
anything other than weak cylinder bends, gluing up your own individual plies is
better (and very controllable).