DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Minwax stainable wood filler not so stainable (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/628680-re-minwax-stainable-wood-filler-not-so-stainable.html)

Leon[_7_] January 2nd 19 07:20 PM

Minwax stainable wood filler not so stainable

On 1/1/2019 11:44 PM, Ginger wrote:
replying to RonB, Ginger wrote:
I had the same problem with the filler yellow willnot stain! I always
buy the
filler that will match my stain but this time I thought great it will
exactly
match! No way this stuff is junk!!!

Live and learn, I have the same general opinion of all Minima products.
while not a terrible product you can always find a product that is
better and easier to work with.

Jack January 3rd 19 02:14 PM

On 1/2/2019 1:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2019 11:44 PM, Ginger wrote:
replying to RonB, Ginger wrote:
I had the same problem with the filler yellow willnot stain! I always
buy the
filler that will match my stain but this time I thought great it will
exactly
match! No way this stuff is junk!!!

Live and learn, I have the same general opinion of all Minima products.
while not a terrible product you can always find a product that is
better and easier to work with.

To my recollection I've not used Minwax filler but have had no problems
with Minwax stains or finishes. What wood putty do you use that allows
staining that matches the wood? I've never found one that stains even
close to he original wood? Even if the color matches perfectly, which it
never does since the filler and wood are different materials, the grain
of the filler is non-existent, so sticks out like a sore thumb.

I might add that few days ago I replaced a style on an oak cabinet. The
stain I used to match the cabinet stain was 1/2 empty can of Minwax
Colonial Maple. The stain matched perfectly and worked just fine. The
interesting thing was the price sticker on the can was from a hardware
store that closed about 30 years ago. I would have expected the stain
would have dried up, or something. Worked just as well as any stain
I've ever used. Fortunately, the replacement style needed no wood filler:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Leon[_7_] January 3rd 19 07:22 PM

On 1/3/2019 7:14 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/2/2019 1:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2019 11:44 PM, Ginger wrote:
replying to RonB, Ginger wrote:
I had the same problem with the filler yellow willnot stain! I always
buy the
filler that will match my stain but this time I thought great it will
exactly
match! No way this stuff is junk!!!

Live and learn,Â* I have the same general opinion of all Minima products.
Â* while not a terrible product you can always find a product that is
better and easier to work with.

To my recollection I've not used Minwax filler but have had no problems
with Minwax stains or finishes.Â* What wood putty do you use that allows
staining that matches the wood?Â* I've never found one that stains even
close to he original wood? Even if the color matches perfectly, which it
never does since the filler and wood are different materials, the grain
of the filler is non-existent, so sticks out like a sore thumb.

I might add that few days ago I replaced a style on an oak cabinet.Â* The
stain I used to match the cabinet stain was 1/2 empty can of Minwax
Colonial Maple.Â* The stain matched perfectly and worked just fine.Â* The
interesting thing was the price sticker on the can was from a hardware
store that closed about 30 years ago. I would have expected the stain
would have dried up, or something.Â* Worked just as well as any stain
I've ever used. Fortunately, the replacement style needed no wood filler:-)

Oddly liquid stains that DO NOT have a sealer will last a very long
time. I have stain that dates back to the late 70's and they/it is
still good to go, and I have opened the can on numerous occasions
through out the years. Prelude is the brand.