Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finished the Cypress Chairs

A few weeks ago I finished the cypress chairs, 2 captains and 3 side chairs.. Took about 1.5 yrs from concept to finish. Probably one of my longest projects to complete. but no power tools were used, all *hand/hand tool worked. Always wanted to do a complete project by hand, hand tools.

*The salvaged boards were originally cut with some saw long ago, the only power tool used.

Square "button" decor, on the backrest, matches the design of the leg tenons through the seat. These buttons are carved dowels with square heads and are on the arm rests, also. The backrest didn't need to be doweled, but were doweled specifically with this decor feature in mind.

The square heads are raised above the surfaces and edges are beveled. Leon's "crowned" bed post, in this fashion, gave me this idea to have raised square-head dowels.

The finish is semi gloss water base Varathane floor finish. They are comfortable seats. I like them.

Scroll right for 2 more pics. I should have taken a pic of the arm decor.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 8:36:05 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Where will you use the chairs? The bulk is really evident...they wouldn't
visually "fit" anywhere in my house. Is there a big bulky table that people
have been standing up at for the past year and a half waiting for you to
finish the d*mn chairs? ;-)

They are bulky, purposely, because cypress is not your normal lumber for making chairs. The bulk is to compensate for the weakness of the wood, compared to walnut, oak, etc.

They will go with the 9' cypress trestle table, with 8' bench, that I made previously for the camp at the farm.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 8:18:00 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 8:36:05 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Where will you use the chairs? The bulk is really evident...they wouldn't
visually "fit" anywhere in my house. Is there a big bulky table that people
have been standing up at for the past year and a half waiting for you to
finish the d*mn chairs? ;-)

They are bulky, purposely, because cypress is not your normal lumber for making chairs. The bulk is to compensate for the weakness of the wood, compared to walnut, oak, etc.

They will go with the 9' cypress trestle table, with 8' bench, that I made previously for the camp at the farm.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

I thought I recalled a table. I scrolled through some of your pictures
last night but I guess I didn't go back far enough.

A camp/farm setting is the perfect place for those beautiful pieces. I'm
sure your family will enjoy them for generations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:52:58 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A camp/farm setting is the perfect place for those beautiful pieces. I'm
sure your family will enjoy them for generations.

Four more pics, scroll right: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

We tore down the old tractor/equipment work shed at the farm and had a new metal building erected. This new building became the camp. Our initial dining table was small, seen on the right in this coat rack pic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Hopefully this/next week I will deliver the chairs and take pics of the dining area.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 11:28:59 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 9:52:58 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A camp/farm setting is the perfect place for those beautiful pieces. I'm
sure your family will enjoy them for generations.

Four more pics, scroll right: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

We tore down the old tractor/equipment work shed at the farm and had a new metal building erected. This new building became the camp. Our initial dining table was small, seen on the right in this coat rack pic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Please post a side by side picture of the 2 tables. I'm not really seeing
much of a difference. ;-)

Hopefully this/next week I will deliver the chairs and take pics of the dining area.

How far is the camp from your main residence? Is it a chore to get there or
is it an "easy and often" trip?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 10:40:14 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How far is the camp from your main residence? Is it a chore to get there or
is it an "easy and often" trip?

About 45 miles from home (here) and 10 miles from the old homestead (where I grew up, about an hour's drive from home (here). Home is in Lafayette, La.
Camp is in Morrow, La.

Side note: The Morrow area has sandy soil (less clay than here), somewhat like the farther north piney woods areas. I'm thinking/hoping this area is close enough to the lower range of the chestnut tree, as per maps.
https://www.acf.org/the-american-che...ive-range-map/

For some years I've been "studying" the chestnut and would like to plant some trees at the farm, hoping they will grow and hoping this area might be less prone to the blight, than other infected areas. I've been contemplating getting some trees, available from a Georgia tree farm.... stock is available from now to March (unless they sell out of stock before March). Their ad notes original tree stock, not hybrid. Now's about the time to plant the trees.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 09:11:39 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

I have Chinese variety of Chestnut, which grows quite well here in
southern Illinois (heavy clay soil). The deer love them as do the
squirels, the tree will not grow as large as it American cousin. The
trees have self craeted a nice grove.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 4:48:30 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

I have Chinese variety of Chestnut, which grows quite well here in
southern Illinois (heavy clay soil). The deer love them as do the
squirels, the tree will not grow as large as it American cousin. The
trees have self craeted a nice grove.

If my stock doesn't grow/produce because of blight, I may opt for a hybrid variety.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 18:00:57 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 4:48:30 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

I have Chinese variety of Chestnut, which grows quite well here in
southern Illinois (heavy clay soil). The deer love them as do the
squirels, the tree will not grow as large as it American cousin. The
trees have self craeted a nice grove.

If my stock doesn't grow/produce because of blight, I may opt for a hybrid variety.

Sonny

Well if you want the chestnuts for planting, late July to august is
when they are dropping here. Packing up a few is no problem. The pods
themselves are viscous thing, think sweet gum with a fire ants bite.