DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HF blades for Dremel oscillating tool (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/628303-hf-blades-dremel-oscillating-tool.html)

Gramps' shop December 29th 18 07:16 PM

HF blades for Dremel oscillating tool

HF blades are about half the cost of Dremels. Any hands-on experience with the HF version beyond the usual buyer beware? I dont use the Dremel often.

Unquestionably Confused[_4_] December 29th 18 07:29 PM

On 12/29/2018 12:16 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
HF blades are about half the cost of Dremels. Any hands-on experience with the HF version beyond the usual buyer beware? I dont use the Dremel often.

Larry, I seem to find a use for my Bosch multi-tool in just about every
project I tackle. Like many others, I wonder how I ever got along
without it.

That said, blades ARE expensive. My solution has been to bide my time
and buy whatever is out there on sale in quantity when they are available.

You're in my neck of the woods (more or less) so I'd recommend the
occasional trip to your local Menard's. I think the last three or four
purchases have been their sale items. Not unusual to pick up a rather
large assortment packed in a nice plastic container and pay less than.t $20.

No experience, that I recall, with Harbor Freight. Basic premise is
treat the blades as disposables and don't view the purchase as buying a
Forrest WW II. Buy quantity vs. quality

-MIKE- December 29th 18 08:34 PM

On 12/29/18 12:16 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
HF blades are about half the cost of Dremels. Any hands-on experience with the HF version beyond the usual buyer beware? I dont use the Dremel often.

In my experience the HF blades aren't very good at all. I'll stop
short of saying "junk."
I used to buy the Dremel blades because of the lower cost but soon
realized they aren't much better than HF blades.

For my work, the cheap blades are a liability and I pretty much only buy
the OEM ones for my Fein. I notice a YUUUUUGE difference in cut quality
and speed with the Fein's.

-

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Meanie[_2_] December 30th 18 12:19 AM

On 12/29/2018 1:16 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
HF blades are about half the cost of Dremels. Any hands-on experience with the HF version beyond the usual buyer beware? I dont use the Dremel often.

I use them often. I can't compare with other brands since the HF brand
is all I have ever used. I have used them for rough and fine cuts in
hardwood, softwood and drywall. Even used the metal cutters on nails
(16d) and they cut right through them. Though, they dull fast after
doing several nails. For me, they get the job done. Perhaps one day I'll
do a test comparing them to major brands. Then again, there may be
someone who has already done so with a You Tube video.

Ivan Vegvary[_2_] December 30th 18 04:19 AM

HF blades for Dremel oscillating tool

It takes all of 3 minutes to cut random teeth into a dull blade with a Dremel and an abrasive wheel. Save your old blades and sit down once a month in front of your workbench or kitchen table.

Gramps' shop December 30th 18 09:42 AM

HF blades for Dremel oscillating tool

Hey, UC ... wheres your neck of the woods? I am in Fox Point WI

Unquestionably Confused[_4_] December 30th 18 03:26 PM

On 12/30/2018 2:42 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Hey, UC ... wheres your neck of the woods? I am in Fox Point WI

General area of Midwest. We're down in Illinois, about 15 miles south
of Lake Geneva. Knew that you were up in Milwaukee/Milwaukee area so I
knew you had access to Menard's

DerbyDad03 December 30th 18 04:49 PM

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 10:19:43 PM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
It takes all of 3 minutes to cut random teeth into a dull blade with a
Dremel and an abrasive wheel. Save your old blades and sit down once a
month in front of your workbench or kitchen table.

I don't know what your kitchen looks like, but I don't think I'll be scattering
metal chips across mine any time soon. ;-)

Unquestionably Confused[_4_] December 30th 18 06:18 PM

On 12/30/2018 9:49 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 10:19:43 PM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
It takes all of 3 minutes to cut random teeth into a dull blade with a
Dremel and an abrasive wheel. Save your old blades and sit down once a
month in front of your workbench or kitchen table.

I don't know what your kitchen looks like, but I don't think I'll be scattering
metal chips across mine any time soon. ;-)

Whatsamatta? SWMBO rarely leaves you home alone? ;)

[email protected] December 31st 18 06:29 AM

HF blades for Dremel oscillating tool

I think a high quality bimetal blade is not expensive, if you consider cost over the lifetime of the blade. A fein bimetal blade will outlast 6 or 8 HF blades and you can keep working instead of having to stop and change blades. this principal applies to just about any tool that uses a blade. Cheap is not cheap.