Old December 29th 18, 12:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thrifty Cabinets Plans

On 12/28/2018 10:23 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 6:41:52 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I downloaded and looked at one and it was fine.
Funniest part is that the zip file was something like 3.7mb and the
extracted file was 3.8mb. Stupid. Sounds like someone who started
with dial-up and is stuck in his ways. :-)

Either way, I don't see anyone paying for these plans. There's nothing
special about them and the same info is all over the web for free.
Seems to me like a retired guy doing this as a hobby. Nobel enough
venture, but decades behind in terms of marketability.

The best part is the user agreement that forbids you from selling
anything you make using his plans, without getting written permission
first.

I don't see anyone selling any of the stuff and making any money unless
they hire kids in Taiwan to do it. All the designs look like RTA
assemblies straight out of IKEA or Wayfair.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Mike,

My plans are intended for beginning woodworkers and I think you agree with that. As for the rest of your comments, they are unnecessary. I have sold many of my plans to woodworkers who are very happy with the instructions.

I would hope this is a respectable forum for woodworkers seeking info and help. So far the comments I have received tell me otherwise.

Jumping into a newsgroup with SPAM and one that you do not participate
in, is kinda, you know.

Old December 29th 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 5:49:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:17:40 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 11:15:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 5:26:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Check your website. I could not find any links to sample plans. Also, the plans show "out of stock".

Bob

The sample plan links are within each plan listing.

No, they are not. There are a number of plans that do not have a sample..
It appears that if you are out of stock, there is not sample. I assume that
that is what "Crystal" was referring to.

Speaking of "out of stock" items...

The title of this thread (*your* thread) is "Thrifty Cabinets Plans". Your
text says "easy-to-build cabinet and furniture plans". However, the 2 items
shown under the drop-down for "Cabinet Plans" are both "Out-Of-Stock"

2 Questions:

1 - Why did you emphasize Cabinet Plans in your thread if they are not
available?
2 - How can a zip file be "Out-Of-Stock"? You know that zip files aren't
physical things that leave your inventory when someone downloads them, right?

Good questions Bob.

Who the heck is "Bob"?
1 - Not all of the plans are completed. I've changed the wording to say "Coming Soon" instead of "Out of Stock." Hopefully, that will be clearer. As far as the name Thrifty Cabinets, it's a long story, but it is my domain name. At the present time, on my site, there are six completed plans and seven other plans in the works. I guess I could remove the uncompleted ones from the site, but I would rather people see what is coming soon. I'm a week or so away from completing the Poker Caddy, and in my shop now I'm working on an eight-person rectangular dining table.

2 - I believe my #1 answer also answers your #2 question. I can only produce a sample of a plan after the plan is completed.

Also, based on your comments, I plan to add more ways for people to receive and view sample plans. Thanks for helpful comments.

Old December 29th 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 7:30:40 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello everyone! I have created a series of easy-to-build cabinet and furniture plans called Thrifty Cabinets. There's a sample plan available for every plan, so you can see what you get before you buy the plan. Please take a look:
https://thriftycabinets.com

I'm so sorry that I ever posted on this angry miserable forum. I thought this was a "recreational" woodworking group. Woodworkers who are interested in woodworking, but instead it 's a group of people who just want to complain.

Old December 29th 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 05:33:56 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 7:30:40 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello everyone! I have created a series of easy-to-build cabinet and furniture plans called Thrifty Cabinets. There's a sample plan available for every plan, so you can see what you get before you buy the plan. Please take a look:
https://thriftycabinets.com

I'm so sorry that I ever posted on this angry miserable forum. I thought this was a "recreational" woodworking group. Woodworkers who are interested in woodworking, but instead it 's a group of people who just want to complain.

So are we! No, moron, SPAM is *never* welcome on the Usenet. I don't
appreciate calls selling crap, either.
Old December 29th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 8:33:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 7:30:40 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello everyone! I have created a series of easy-to-build cabinet and furniture plans called Thrifty Cabinets. There's a sample plan available for every plan, so you can see what you get before you buy the plan. Please take a look:
https://thriftycabinets.com

I'm so sorry that I ever posted on this angry miserable forum. I thought
this was a "recreational" woodworking group. Woodworkers who are interested
in woodworking, but instead it 's a group of people who just want to
complain.

If we could go back in time, the following technique might have worked out
a little better for you:

"Hi! My name is Bruce. I have created a series of plans for cabinets and other
furniture. I sell the plans through my website and offer a sample of each plan
for free. I don't want anyone to think I'm spamming this group, so I thought
that I would introduce myself first. Would you folks mind if I posted a link
to my website?

Here is an example of one of the sample plans so you can see what I am
offering. You'll note that the sample plans do not include the materials
list, cut list, etc. The full plans, of course, would.

[Insert Sample Plan Link Here]"

That post looks a lot less like spam than your version. I suspect that you
would have gotten a slightly warmer reception or, at a minimum, a more polite
send-off.
Old December 29th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 10:11:40 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Thanks DerbyDad03. It's obvious this forum needs a moderator.
Old December 29th 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/29/18 10:32 AM, wrote:
[...]

This isn't a forum, it's usenet.
Googlegroups and/or whatever other web based forums that show these
posts are simply a conduit that retrieves and re-displays from usenet
onto their web platform.

It's kind of like stealing, really. Many of these forums are monetized
and are making money off content that is produced and available free,
elsewhere.

No moderators. Don't need them. Usenet polices itself and people who
have used it for decades know the rules... like no spam. :-D

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old December 29th 18, 06:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 11:32:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

rec.woodworking is not a forum. It's a usenet newsgroup. The vast majority of usenet newgroups don't have moderators. Usenet information, including a brief
mention of the limited use of moderators, can be found he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

IMO, rec.woodworking - on usenet - will never be moderated. Content may be
moderated once it hits web-based forums that steal posts from usenet, but
that's a topic for a different discussion.

If this was a moderated group e.g. mod.rec.woodworking (which AFAIK doesn't
exist) your post would probably have been blocked. Instead, you got some
constructive criticism. You have now experienced the beauty of usenet in
all of its un-moderated glory.