Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dust collector too weak - ugh

On 12/18/2018 8:14 AM, Woody wrote:
replying to herron1967, Woody wrote:
If I reduce my 4 inch to 2 0r 2/12 inch could the theo-my 11/2 h.p.Delta
collector?

Not sure what your trying to say, but, I have a 1/2 hp motor on my
collector, it runs though 5 90's and about 30'- 40' of 4" PVC pipe to a
40 gallon pre-filter drum with numerous ports from 2 1/2" to 4". the
ports connect to router table, shaper, TS, BS, 6" jointer, 15" planer,
36" belt sander, 10" disk sander. Been using this set up for over 40 years.

First, it is not powerful like a shop vac. Has lots of volume but won't
suck up nails, screws and what not. It works great with all wood dust
and chips. I built this system before knowing you needed a million hp
motor,no leaks, few turns and no corrugated piping in a dust collector
system. I get almost zero clogs. Recently the TS clogged up and turns
out a cloth rag got sucked halfway though the 3" pipe. It's a complete
mystery how the rag got in there, it had to fall in when the blade and
insert were out?

I actually think it works better with low pressure because only very
fine powder makes it to to the filter. Anything larger than powder stays
in the pre-filter drum. Fan blades never see anything other than clean air.

I sometimes use it to sweep up the floor but prefer the shop vac that
sweeps up everything, including metal, screws, pencils and so on. All
duct work is simply connected, no glue, no tape, no worries about
sucking air, although I doubt much outside air is sucked into it.

My system would not work in a commercial shop where 20 tools are
connected at once, but I run one tool at a time, super power is
absolutely not needed. I can plane a 15" board and it doesn't even
blink (segmented spiral cutter of course).

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com