DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cheapo Lauan doors CAN look good [Was: Finishing lauan/luan doors?] (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/626466-re-cheapo-lauan-doors-can-look-good-%5B-re-finishing-lauan-luan-doors-%5D.html)

Boston Flexner Fan December 6th 18 03:44 PM

Cheapo Lauan doors CAN look good [Was: Finishing lauan/luan doors?]

replying to meson999, Boston Flexner Fan wrote:
Hello, Max,

I have kudos and a question, please!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sale_sh...57608705249312 /

I am delighted to find your post and your photos! I recently bought a 1960s
house. Sadly, the family room of the house is filled with really BAD 80s
paneling. I found a scrap of Eichler-looking mahogany paneling in the attic,
which I think must have been original. It has a saturated, rich, dark,
slightly reddish tone exactly like your doors.

Up until now, replacing the really BAD paneling with mahogany paneling was
simply WAY too far out of our budget; the plan was to (sigh) PAINT. Your
results have inspired me to try to replace it with stained luan! So now to my
question:

Your process indicates Waterlox *first*, as a sealer, *then* staining twice
and finishing with varnish. Just want to confirm, please! I would have
stained first, varnished later-but I am learning

Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...rs-438738-.htm