Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockwell 315 circular saw switch

Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ch-819289-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2018 2:14 PM, Bruce wrote:
Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, numberĀ* 843156 (or 876341?), or a
source for it?

The OEM switch is probably unobtainium excepting, perhaps, finding a
scrap similar saw on eBay or the like.

However, the local Ace hardware has a nice selection of replacement tool
switches; on can generally find one close enough to make work. I'd
think most places would have somesuch similar.

Sometimes, one can disassemble and repair the existing one if it's just
a spring or other mechanical failure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2018 3:36 PM, dpb wrote:
ch is probably unobtainium excepting, perhaps, finding a scrap similar
saw on eBay or the like.

However, the local Ace hardware has a nice selection of replacement tool
switches; on can generally find one

I no longer have the URL but several years ago I order switches for my
shop vac at Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor.

I suspect they are still in business and can be found buy a search.

https://www.mouser.com I believe this is where I ordered the parts.

Even with shipping which as a percentage of the materials order was
quite hight it was cheaper than buying a new sweeper or using a jury
rigged system for the rest of its life.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 3:14:06 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

You mean something like this source?

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/rock...cular-saw.html

Illustration Item 4 - 876341 - SWITCH - $27.43

Google - Coming to a town near you soon! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 5:40:38 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 3:14:06 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

You mean something like this source?

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/rock...cular-saw.html

Illustration Item 4 - 876341 - SWITCH - $27.43

Google - Coming to a town near you soon! ;-)

Nevermind...Just read the legend. Obsolete, Unavailable.

As penance, I'll offer this:

Lot's of parts for $100:

https://www.ebay.com/i/132480872627

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 3:14:06 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

You mean something like this source?

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/rock...cular-saw.html

Illustration Item 4 - 876341 - SWITCH - $27.43

Which is clearly marked as Obsolete, no replacement available.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2018 3:56 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

... it was cheaper than buying a new sweeper or using a jury
rigged system for the rest of its life.

The replacement tool switch selection at Ace (or other hardware stores
with good assortment boxes) aren't jury-rigged solutions...more than
likely there's one that will fit quite nicely--looking at the parts
diagram, that one appears to be a pretty common shape factor...

Not that one can't often find something close enough online but might as
well look for local options first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce m wrote:

Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

Took less than a minute, did you actually look for the part ??

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/sw...t-p-58201.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Por...e/223255789317

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce m wrote:

Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

Took less than a minute, did you actually look for the part ??

Free Shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123419611564
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272362624207
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222722479308

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 6:02:47 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 3:14:06 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

You mean something like this source?

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/rock...cular-saw.html

Illustration Item 4 - 876341 - SWITCH - $27.43

Which is clearly marked as Obsolete, no replacement available.

Which I clearly pointed out 5 minutes later *and* offered an alternative
as penance.

What do you have to offer?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 3:14:06 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

You mean something like this source?

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/rock...cular-saw.html

Illustration Item 4 - 876341 - SWITCH - $27.43

Which is clearly marked as Obsolete, no replacement available.

Which I clearly pointed out 5 minutes later *and* offered an alternative
as penance.

And of course everyone's newsreader sees all articles at the same time, and reads
them in reverse order. Duh. Do you understand how Usenet works?

What do you have to offer?

One of these:

https://www.ebay.com/i/112781679492?chn=ps
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, number 843156 (or 876341?), or a
source
for it?

I believe that saw was originally made by Porter Cable. As such, perhaps a
search under that name that might turn up parts otherwise missed...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2018 3:14 PM, Bruce wrote:
Need a replacement switch for my circular saw. Does anyone know of a
replacement for that original switch, numberĀ* 843156 (or 876341?), or a source
for it?

Probably this will work under the Porter Cable nameplate:

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/powe...tch8307k2.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Spalted Walt, Bruce wrote:
Yes, I spent nearly an hour looking, including a long phone chat with one
gentleman who gave me several options, which I followed and all led to zero.
Thank you for this lilnk, I will pursue it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ch-819289-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2018 2:14 PM, Bruce wrote:
replying to Spalted Walt, Bruce wrote:
Yes, I spent nearly an hour looking, including a long phone chat with one
gentleman who gave meĀ* several options, which I followed and all led to
zero. Thank you for this lilnk, I will pursue it.

Again, have you just gone to the local good hardware store and looked
through their selection? There are those long rows of yellow
(typically) assortment boxes of all kinds of odds and ends there for
precisely this reason.

Here's a link that shows just a few random replacement switches...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/250V-4A-Normally-Open-Trigger-Switch-f-Electricl-Tool/163805048?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=571&ad id=22222222227042383688&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=10640 3959517&wl4=pla-293803599917&wl5=9024470&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=111838760&wl11=online&wl12=163805048&wl13=&veh= sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Knl1Ob63gIVBrXACh0DWgsoEAQY BSABEgKQ7_D_BwE

w/ one specific that would likely be workable.

Then again, keep looking at more recent P-C saws until find one that is
still available..

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/switch-kit-p-58201.html

says it's a replacement for one of those numbers you gave earlier.

In the end, "a switch is just a switch"; there's nothing magic about the
part number specifically, you just need one that has minimum current
rating for the use and that will mechanically adapt to the location.

That's a pretty ordinary form factor it appears from the parts figure.

IOW, don't make it harder than it needs be...