Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do Any Air Compressors Have This Feature?

I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2018 3:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

No, but a Tide Pod is good to clean your underwear. Add a little bleach
too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2018 1:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

All air compressors have this feature. It's called the on-off switch.
If you want your compressor to start up, turn it on. If you don't want
it to start up, turn it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 4:27:26 PM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/18/2018 1:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

All air compressors have this feature. It's called the on-off switch.
If you want your compressor to start up, turn it on. If you don't want
it to start up, turn it off.

work·a·round
/ˈwərkəˌround/
noun
- a method for overcoming a limitation in a system.

A workaround is not the same thing as a feature.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 3:21:03 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

I suspect it only starts up when the pressure drops...Find the leak in the hose or the compressor and your issue should be no longer (unless I am missing something of course)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 6:17:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 3:21:03 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

I suspect it only starts up when the pressure drops...

Yep, that's usually why they start.

Find the leak in the hose or the compressor and your issue should be

no longer

Yep, my PC nail guns do appear to slowly let some air leak.

(unless I am missing something of course)

Nope, but even if it isn't a leak, even if it starts up through normal usage
(nail guns, tire filling, blowing out a line, etc.) it would still be nice
to have a quiet warning instead of 0 dB to 80 dB in a split second.

(I'm not seriously asking for this feature, just saying that it would be nice.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2018 5:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Why not just turn it off if it might be a problem? :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 12:03:46 AM UTC-5, gray_wolf wrote:
[...]

Already suggested. Read my earlier response.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Nope, but even if it isn't a leak, even if it starts up through normal
usage (nail guns, tire filling, blowing out a line, etc.) it would
still be nice to have a quiet warning instead of 0 dB to 80 dB in a
split second.

(I'm not seriously asking for this feature, just saying that it would
be nice.)

For you, a 115dB horn will sound 3 seconds before start up. That will give
you plenty of warning!

In all seriousness, if you buy a compressor that uses oil it's a LOT
quieter. When it starts it's more like an furnace coming on in the same
room, noticable but not shocking.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2018 2:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

Direct drive NON oiled compressor?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/18 9:43 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Nope, but even if it isn't a leak, even if it starts up through
normal usage (nail guns, tire filling, blowing out a line, etc.) it
would still be nice to have a quiet warning instead of 0 dB to 80
dB in a split second.

(I'm not seriously asking for this feature, just saying that it
would be nice.)

For you, a 115dB horn will sound 3 seconds before start up. That
will give you plenty of warning!

Puckdropper

Reminds me of a clock radio I used to have.
I thought it would be great to wake up to the sound of nice music
instead of an air raid siren, so I got a clock radio.

The only problem is, the switch that turned the speaker on was super
loud. Nothing you'd really be bothered with during the day when you're
awake and aware, but in the AM, when you're sound asleep with no other
sounds going on, it was like, "CLICK!!"

So yeah, the soft music was nice after being jarred awake by the
equivalent of someone clapping their hands together as hard as they
could, a foot from your ear. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:43:58 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Nope, but even if it isn't a leak, even if it starts up through normal
usage (nail guns, tire filling, blowing out a line, etc.) it would
still be nice to have a quiet warning instead of 0 dB to 80 dB in a
split second.

(I'm not seriously asking for this feature, just saying that it would
be nice.)

For you, a 115dB horn will sound 3 seconds before start up. That will give
you plenty of warning!

In all seriousness, if you buy a compressor that uses oil it's a LOT
quieter. When it starts it's more like an furnace coming on in the same
room, noticable but not shocking.

I keep seeing references to how loud oilless compressor are. The one
I got at Sears a few years back is no noisier than the one with oil I
worked with on my then job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 13:03:46 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

[...]

Friend had just got married, wife moved in with her alarm clock. My
friend has been working paving for a number of years, her clock goes
off for the first time, bang he is up and standing, yep a back up
alarm sound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 3:11:03 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:43:58 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Nope, but even if it isn't a leak, even if it starts up through normal
usage (nail guns, tire filling, blowing out a line, etc.) it would
still be nice to have a quiet warning instead of 0 dB to 80 dB in a
split second.

(I'm not seriously asking for this feature, just saying that it would
be nice.)

For you, a 115dB horn will sound 3 seconds before start up. That will give
you plenty of warning!

In all seriousness, if you buy a compressor that uses oil it's a LOT
quieter. When it starts it's more like an furnace coming on in the same
room, noticable but not shocking.

I keep seeing references to how loud oilless compressor are. The one
I got at Sears a few years back is no noisier than the one with oil I
worked with on my then job.

It would help if you had the specs for both machines to compare. Maybe you
you had a noisy oil unit or you have a quiet oil-less one.

My 6 gallon PC portable oil-less is spec'd at 82 dB. My cell phone app
(uncalibrated) clocks it at 80 dB.

This 6.3 gallon oil-lubed unit is spec'd at 30 dB. Of course, at $3.4K it
better be quiet. It better drive itself to the job site also. ;-)

https://tinyurl.com/3K-Compressor

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/werther...k-115v/0706723

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 2:03:51 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I use my smart phone with a pleasing melody and ascending volume. I can set
the volume to go from 0 to 100% in as short as 5 seconds or as long as 30 minutes. Mine is set at 1 minute. When it goes off, 3/4 of the screen is a
Snooze button, less than 1/4 is the Dismiss button. I've never hit Dismiss
on accident.

If I want to, I can set a puzzle e.g. math problem(s) or password entry(s)
that must be solved in order turn off the alarm. The idea is to wake the
brain up so you don't go back to sleep. I have no need for that.

I know people that put the alarm clock on the other side of the room so
they have to get up to turn it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My brothers gave me an Accutron watch for graduation. Nice watch,
during the day. At night you could hear the tuning fork across the
room. If it was set down directly on a table or dresser, it turned
the wood into a sound board. At one point my (then new) SWMBO
banished the thing from the bedroom.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 17:59:10 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

+1

If I want to, I can set a puzzle e.g. math problem(s) or password entry(s)
that must be solved in order turn off the alarm. The idea is to wake the
brain up so you don't go back to sleep. I have no need for that.

I know people that put the alarm clock on the other side of the room so
they have to get up to turn it off.

When I was younger, I'd always wake up seconds before the alarm went
off so I ended up not using an alarm clock for years. I use the
smartphone app now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 11:03:51 AM UTC-8, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/19/18 9:43 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[about an air compressor]

... it
would still be nice to have a quiet warning instead of 0 dB to 80
dB in a split second.

(I'm not seriously asking for this feature, just saying that it
would be nice.)

Reminds me of a clock radio I used to have.
I thought it would be great to wake up to the sound of nice music
instead of an air raid siren, so I got a clock radio.

The only problem is, the switch that turned the speaker on was super
loud.

Best alarm I ever had was a time-switch to a television: tube-type,
it slowly warmed up and played the musical lead-in to a
kiddie's show every morning. Marnie Nixon singing 'Boomerang'
was my morning wake-up call.

It's possible to rewire the pressure-switch into a time-delay relay,
paralleled with a doorbell. So, it'd start with Westminster
chimes, followed by a motor-and-valves normal roar. 'Twould be
a fine
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

BOOM ... problem solved!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/296681796

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gallon-12-hp-135-psi-ultra-quiet-oil-free-professional-air-compressor-64596.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/18 7:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I used to set my clock ahead by some random number of minutes in an
attempt to wake myself up by causing stress over not knowing what the
real time was.

But man, you'd be surprised at how good the barely-conscious brain is at
math at 6 am.
Or was it 5:47 am?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 10:46:04 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Our bedroom clocks have been set 15 minutes ahead for decades. Our vehicle
clocks, 5. We know it, but somehow it helps move us along just a little bit
faster.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 9:36:01 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

BOOM ... problem solved!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/296681796

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gallon-12-hp-135-psi-ultra-quiet-oil-free-professional-air-compressor-64596.html

It's a good thing that it's quiet. At 2 gallons, isn't it going to be
running 3 times as much as a 6 gallon?
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

BOOM ... problem solved!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/296681796

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gallon-12-hp-135-psi-ultra-quiet-oil-free-professional-air-compressor-64596.html

It's a good thing that it's quiet. At 2 gallons, isn't it going to be
running 3 times as much as a 6 gallon?

Not necessarily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn_XYblK06g

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

BOOM ... problem solved!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/296681796

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gallon-12-hp-135-psi-ultra-quiet-oil-free-professional-air-compressor-64596.html

It's a good thing that it's quiet. At 2 gallons, isn't it going to be
running 3 times as much as a 6 gallon?

Not necessarily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn_XYblK06g

Did you notice his compressor was a Husky, that looks like it's
another FengBao? Looking on the Home Depot site, they in addition to
that one Husky model, seem to be selling the "Hulk Power" and "Emax"
lines--Hulk Power seems to be the Emax consumer line, the high powered
Emaxes ain't cheap but they're showing 60 or 68 db depending on model.

Looking at the Emax site, there's supposed to be a 5 hp 80 gallon
model in the Hulk line out about now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box
and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your
air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

BOOM ... problem solved!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/296681796

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gallon-12-hp-135-psi-ultra-quiet-oil-free-professional-air-compressor-64596.html

It's a good thing that it's quiet. At 2 gallons, isn't it going to be
running 3 times as much as a 6 gallon?

Not necessarily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn_XYblK06g

Nice mod, but he made one error in his talk track.

At about 8:50, soon after he removed the tire, he said "In this case we'd
be able to rotate this tire without the compressor kicking on and by the
time it got done filling up, we'd be ready for the next tire."

You can't rotate a single tire. You'd have to wait for the tanks to fill
up so you take another tire off. Only then can you rotate that first tire.
Once the *second* tire is off, then you can be working while the tanks fill
because you'll always have an empty hub.

Otherwise, nice mod and nice job on the video.