Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porch railing

Our house is about 10 years old. Four years ago we had the porch
painted, and within a year the paint started coming of in square inch
pieces.

It appeared that treated lumber had been used and not properly primed
before the originally being painted. The guy that painted it four years
ago, only sanded and painted.

It became obvious that more was needed and I started to take the paint
off with paint stripper. It quickly became obvious that this may not be
the best way as at the rate I was going it would take a year.

I asked a painter for a quote, and got it but he highly recommended
going with one of the new composite railings.

Is any one knowledgeable about this type of material for porches?

Does it come in 12' lengths as would be needed for the porch?

Is there any better suggestion to get a porch rail that will last for a
while, with minimal maintenance.

Thank you in advance

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/18 9:04 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
Our house is about 10 years old.Â* Four years ago we had the porch
painted, and within a year the paint started coming of in square inch
pieces.

It appeared that treated lumber had been used and not properly primed
before the originally being painted.Â* The guy that painted it four years
ago, only sanded and painted.

It became obvious that more was needed and I started to take the paint
off with paint stripper.Â* It quickly became obvious that this may not be
the best way as at the rate I was going it would take a year.

I asked a painter for a quote, and got it but he highly recommended
going with one of the new composite railings.

Is any one knowledgeable about this type of material for porches?

Does it come in 12' lengths as would be needed for the porch?

Is there any better suggestion to get a porch rail that will last for a
while, with minimal maintenance.

Thank you in advance

Which composite? They are not all the same.
As for railing that lasts, there's always metal.
Composite isn't cheap and there are several price levels with metal,
some of which may the same or cheaper than composite.

I don't know the architecture of your house but metal comes in many
styles with many options.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
news
[...]

I've got a few of the solid Trex composite railings. They sag easily.
One of my stair railings is about 6' and has at least a 1" sag in the
middle. They're still pretty close to the same color (it fades like
vinyl siding does) and in good shape after about 8 years.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've got a few of the solid Trex composite railings. They sag easily.
One of my stair railings is about 6' and has at least a 1" sag in the
middle. They're still pretty close to the same color (it fades like
vinyl siding does) and in good shape after about 8 years.

Puckdropper

Yeah, in midsummer KS sun, it's about like a wet noodle and retains
"set" when cools.

Also will burn to the touch in direct sun to point of blistering tender
skin...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:43:45 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've got a few of the solid Trex composite railings. They sag easily.
One of my stair railings is about 6' and has at least a 1" sag in the
middle. They're still pretty close to the same color (it fades like
vinyl siding does) and in good shape after about 8 years.

Puckdropper

Yeah, in midsummer KS sun, it's about like a wet noodle and retains
"set" when cools.

If it's supported with balusters every 6" (or whatever the code is),
it should be good? I need to replace my deck's decking next year and
I don't want to waste money on wood again. I'd love to extend the
deck, too, but not sure I'm up for that.

Also will burn to the touch in direct sun to point of blistering tender
skin...

Been sliding down the banister nekkid again, huh? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:57:47 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2018 8:42 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:43:45 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've got a few of the solid Trex composite railings. They sag easily.
One of my stair railings is about 6' and has at least a 1" sag in the
middle. They're still pretty close to the same color (it fades like
vinyl siding does) and in good shape after about 8 years.

Puckdropper

Yeah, in midsummer KS sun, it's about like a wet noodle and retains
"set" when cools.

If it's supported with balusters every 6" (or whatever the code is),
it should be good? I need to replace my deck's decking next year and
I don't want to waste money on wood again. I'd love to extend the
deck, too, but not sure I'm up for that.

The whole thing can sag; it would need at least one intermediate support
over the 6-ft span from what I've observed in town here. If weather not
so extreme as SW KS and the like, "maybe" it'd be ok.

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Also will burn to the touch in direct sun to point of blistering tender
skin...

Been sliding down the banister nekkid again, huh? ;-)

The particular case I saw was a toddler...but that too, could be a
problem, granted...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

OP: I have talked to a contractor and found that that railing must be
able to support 200 pounds outward pressure. There are 12 foot lengths
(10.5' longest run) of a vinyl made that meet the requirement. It is
reinforced by a metal "bar", and will be supported by blocks sitting on
the porch floor.

He is getting me a quote. I am sure that it can not be more than what
it was going to cost to get it stripped, primed and painted.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/16/2018 10:41 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 15:33:25 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/14/2018 8:02 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:57:47 -0600, dpb wrote:

The whole thing can sag; it would need at least one intermediate support
over the 6-ft span from what I've observed in town here. If weather not
so extreme as SW KS and the like, "maybe" it'd be ok.

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Not even close -- data I just looked up showed Atlanta mean at 30
days/yr, we were 73.

That's surprising.

Extreme temp's not even close, either, either high or low.

That's not. It's rarely 100F here. The all-time record is 106, IIRC.
Hell, we had that in Vermont. The low part, well, we do get a week
with the lows in the high-teens.

Anything east of Mississippi is much less extreme and generally far
quieter than High Plains.

That's pretty benign, comparatively, other than the humidity that's a
killer (spent almost 30 yr in Oak Ridge, TN which is closer albeit
somewhat colder as comparison to Atlanta. The humid-a-dee-doo I never
did adjust to...

Yeah but even the humidity isn't all that bad in Atlanta. We lived
just 70mi SW (down I85) from here, in Auburn AL and the difference,
even in that short distance was amazing. It was far more humid. Really
oppressive nights.

Oh, yes, there are even worse places by far, but in comparison to what I
was used to and think is oppressive, it's more than I care to deal
with... Used to have to consult in Aiken and Houston and DC area
some so indeed there's worse, by far. Tulsa area ain't far off because
it is closer to our temperatures and far enough east to have more water...

What I missed most were two things --
1) There was no wind to stir the air up at all so what heat/humidity
there was was even more oppressive, and
2) Cloudy but not rainy much of winter months--not having sun if isn't
going to rain is just wrong!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

There is very little wind here, other than storms, of course. A
little wind plays hell on the trees, particularly if the ground is
wet. They just aren't hardened to it and it'll pull them right out of
the ground.

2) Cloudy but not rainy much of winter months--not having sun if isn't
going to rain is just wrong!

Ditto that. The thing that really got me about Vermont wasn't the
cold or even the snow (though that was a RPITA), rather the gray
Winters. From November to May (or June), unless the temperature was
-10F it was overcast. About February it got really depressing,
especially knowing that Winter was only half over. A rainy summer (we
had 30 days of rain one June) would really cap things off. It's a
beautiful place to visit, at the appropriate time, but a terrible
place to live.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2018 9:04 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

You need to paint ALL sides of the the lumber, if you don't, moisture
will continue to be absorbed into the wood and any paint will fail.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/17/2018 9:17 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 09:03:30 -0600, dpb wrote:

What I missed most were two things --
1) There was no wind to stir the air up at all so what heat/humidity
there was was even more oppressive, and

There is very little wind here, other than storms, of course. A
little wind plays hell on the trees, particularly if the ground is
wet. They just aren't hardened to it and it'll pull them right out of
the ground.

That's true for almost everywhere east of the Mississippi.

I used to chuckle over the headlines after a mild (by W KS) t-storm of
wind gusts in the 50 mph range or so and despite 30 yr in VA/TN never
ceased to be amazed at just what widespread damage so little actual
weather could cause simply because it was so rare the weak stuff was so
rarely ever culled.

Same was true for their power lines; lackadaisical maintenance and
simply not built to withstand anything that we get routinely led to very
high power outage rates with the most trivial of storms.

OTH, E TN was prime country for SLCs (scary-looking clouds) that just
never (or very rarely) did more than look threatening. In the 30-yr
there, was only one hail event that did any damage and it wasn't of real
intensity as to what we are used to on annual basis in one or another
storm. Not every where every year, of course, but bound to be a number
around the area every year; like always some years more, others less
overall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Do you you live in an area that gets snow? (If you mentioned it, sorry, I
missed it.) If you do, how do you remove the snow, assuming that's an issue?

My deck is 6' off the ground. I used to lift the snow over the railing, then
I got smart/lazy/old (not necessarily in that order) and modified one section
to do this:

https://i.imgur.com/sipUFVv.jpg

I just took advantage of the mod this morning. If there's a big enough pile,
I'll run the snowblower through it to open a path along the front of the
deck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2018 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:44:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Do you you live in an area that gets snow? (If you mentioned it, sorry, I
missed it.) If you do, how do you remove the snow, assuming that's an issue?

It was right there...he's in Hotlanta...not _much_ snow.

The facility to be able to not have to go over or around is useful where
is snow, however, "trudat!".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 2:47:10 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 11/18/2018 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:44:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Do you you live in an area that gets snow? (If you mentioned it, sorry, I
missed it.) If you do, how do you remove the snow, assuming that's an issue?

It was right there...he's in Hotlanta...not _much_ snow.

The facility to be able to not have to go over or around is useful where
is snow, however, "trudat!".

Yep, "over" sucks, especially when it's wet and heavy (like yesterday's snow).

"Around" in my case means I'm shoveling onto a landing and then down
9 steps. Shoveling steps sucks almost as much as going over a railing.

If I ever replace the railing or build another deck in a snowy area,
snow removal will be part of the design criteria. At a minimum, I'll
use a gate of some type that only opens a bottom section of the railing.
The ~9" gap I use now is more than enough and I still have a railing to
keep me from going over the edge if I lose concentration.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

I do the same thing for my ice rink. When you get a wet snow--and
sometimes the weight of the snow pushes the ice down and makes it wet--
it's almost impossible to lift the shovel.

On my deck, though, I didn't run the railing all the way to the bottom.
It just seems to work out better with that 4-6 inch gap.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2018 5:18 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately no. We live east of Raleigh where 1" of snow is a
regional catastrophy.

I was born in northern Indiana and miss the snow, expecially the squeeky
variety. I would gladly trade 1 90 Degree 90% day for two zero days,
if possible. Then there is the grandson factor, that has to be considered

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 22:18:53 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Watch the spacing. Some fool kid will get his head stuck. I believe
code is a 4" spacing on balusters. I'd think the bottom rail to deck
would be the same. That's what I did in Vermont (4" spacing from deck
to rail) and it really wasn't enough to get the snow under easily. I
like the moveable railing idea.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 13:46:50 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/18/2018 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:44:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Do you you live in an area that gets snow? (If you mentioned it, sorry, I
missed it.) If you do, how do you remove the snow, assuming that's an issue?

It was right there...he's in Hotlanta...not _much_ snow.

I think you're missing (the other) Keith's (Nuttle) post. Not sure
where he lives.

The facility to be able to not have to go over or around is useful where
is snow, however, "trudat!".

For light snow, sure. For a foot or three, it's going to be hard to
get it under, too. At some point it's easier to go over. ...or wait
for spring.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 6:16:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Not true. Regardless of the amount of snow, you can always take some off
the top and toss it side to side until you have a path to the under-rail
opening. Then it's just a matter of knocking the sides down into the path
and pushing it through. BTDT lots of times.

I've sometimes had enough snow on the deck that I've opened the sliding
door and started shoveling from inside the house, tossing the snow side
to side until I've got enough room to get out on the deck and close the
door behind me. If I would have tried to step out, I would have knocked
snow backwards into the house.

Waiting until spring is not really an option for me. Even if I don't
clear the entire deck after a snowfall, I always shovel a path to the
grill. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 17:23:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Until the snow on the outside the railing gets higher than the deck.

I've sometimes had enough snow on the deck that I've opened the sliding
door and started shoveling from inside the house, tossing the snow side
to side until I've got enough room to get out on the deck and close the
door behind me. If I would have tried to step out, I would have knocked
snow backwards into the house.

Oh, I remember those days. Never again!

Waiting until spring is not really an option for me. Even if I don't
clear the entire deck after a snowfall, I always shovel a path to the
grill. ;-)

I wasn't really serious about waiting. It would have been more like
summer. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If that ever happens to me, I'll have more issues than snow on my deck.

As I said earlier, my deck is 6' off the ground. If I ever have that much
snow piled up in the back yard, we're screwed!

I spent a year in AK. I remember building snow stairs to get out the
buildings. The 1 story buildings would get buried on the windward side.
The only way to maintain the entrances on that side was to cut stairs in
the snow as it piled up.

Outside of the door by the radio room we had an official weather station like
the one shown below. Most of the year we used a step ladder to access the
instruments inside it. In the winter, we kept it dug out just enough to be
able to open the doors while we knelt in front of it.

https://goo.gl/images/UGV9Go

We used to ski off the roofs of the buildings. If you want to test your
balance and agility, buy a pair of seal skin slippers from a local Eskimo.
When new, they still have the seal fur on the bottom. Ever notice how easily
a seal slides along the snow? Now climb up on the roof and try to ski down
the drift in those slippers. It's really hard not to spill your beer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I've had more than 6' of snow in my back yard any number of times.
This deck was only 18" off the ground, though. The snow was deeper
than that most winters.

I spent a year in AK. I remember building snow stairs to get out the
buildings. The 1 story buildings would get buried on the windward side.
The only way to maintain the entrances on that side was to cut stairs in
the snow as it piled up.

I can imagine. I've seen barns "buried" like that.

Outside of the door by the radio room we had an official weather station like
the one shown below. Most of the year we used a step ladder to access the
instruments inside it. In the winter, we kept it dug out just enough to be
able to open the doors while we knelt in front of it.

https://goo.gl/images/UGV9Go

We used to ski off the roofs of the buildings. If you want to test your
balance and agility, buy a pair of seal skin slippers from a local Eskimo.
When new, they still have the seal fur on the bottom. Ever notice how easily
a seal slides along the snow? Now climb up on the roof and try to ski down
the drift in those slippers. It's really hard not to spill your beer.

"Watch this!" ;-)