Posted to rec.woodworking

Default heat for garage/shop?

I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:33:52 GMT, sawdustmaker
wrote:

I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

Why does propane smell? Al that should be coming out of it is water
and CO2. The water part has its own problems, though, particularly if
it's not continually heated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/18 8:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

I use an electric radiator heater that is 120v and it works well in an
non-insulated 2-car garage.
It's not going to get it 80 degrees in 20 minutes like my kerosene
heater does, but once it's warm, it'll keep it there.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

sawdustmaker wrote:

I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

I really like the $100 kerosene heater I bought at Northern last year.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664955_200664955

which is $40 less than the BORGs.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-23800-BTU-Convection-Kerosene-Heater/1000241241
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-23-800-BTU-Indoor-Kerosene-Portable-Heater-DH2304S/304697729

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2018 9:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

Are you planning to stay in-place for some period of time? If so, it might
be cost-effective to have a 240V service installed. It opens up all sorts
of possibilities beyond heating. I have a 4kW ceiling-mount heater
installed in my shop/garage and it does a great job of keeping everything
comfortable. I was lucky enough to be able to excavate in the ceiling of
the room next door and revive a 45A 240V circuit that was there to serve
the long-gone ceiling heat system but had it not been there I would have
been glad to run new wires just for the heater.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2018 9:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

You need a better propane heater. I get no odor from my Reddy Heater.
You should get no odor from a proper running heater. I also us propane
for the range in the house with no odor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Are propane or kerosene heaters SAFE to use in enclosed spaces if the heater is not vented to the outside air? I've always heard they were not safe if not vented outside. And for the garage under consideration here, cutting a vent hole in the wall does not seem like a good idea. Unless its an unattached garage building with no insulation so cutting a hole is real simple.. I would not want to cut holes in the walls of my attached garage. Thus the reason electric heaters are popular.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2018 7:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

How about a heat pump? Something like this ...
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...pSrc=srch&th=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:54:12 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

[...]

How about a small furnace? An RV or motorhome furnace, or even a
mobile home furnace - faiurly compact forced air externally vented so
you don't smell the propane or natural gas odorants. Even an oil
furnace.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2018 2:49 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/12/2018 7:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does
anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since
vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120
volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

How about a heat pump?Â* Something like this ...
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...pSrc=srch&th=1

I have 220v in my shop (no gas, LP or otherwise on the premises) and so
was able to install a small electric unit that does a GREAT job of
bringing the insulated shop up to 70 degrees from ~ 45 degrees which
I've set as the minimum temp out there. We're on a "total electric"
rate plan and it hasn't been a problem. Only problem I encountered was
having to cut a hole in the wall for a 12K BTU through wall AC unit when
SWMBO saw how comfy the shop was in the dead of winter. Said she,
"Well, it only makes sense, you use the shop in the summer just as much
if not more, why sweat in the summer?" Did I mention that she's a "Keeper?"

That said, I could have just as easily installed (for roughly the same
price) the Pioneer split-system that Just Wondering mentions. I have
the exact same unit in our 504 sq foot family room. It's cheap, so
quiet you literally have to stand next to the air handler to hear it,
and does a great job of heating and cooling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 21:16:53 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Mon, 12 Nov 2018 21:56:05 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

Why does propane smell? Al that should be coming out of it is water
and CO2.

Don't forget the "oderizer" added to propane so you can smell if
there is a leak.

If you can smell the mercaptan, there *is* a leak. If the burner is
working properly, there is no smell. I have propane logs in my living
room and a propane cook top. Neither stink.
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:08:40 -0500 typed in

wrote:

I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

Why does propane smell? Al that should be coming out of it is water
and CO2.

Don't forget the "oderizer" added to propane so you can smell if
there is a leak.

If you can smell the mercaptan, there *is* a leak. If the burner is
working properly, there is no smell. I have propane logs in my living
room and a propane cook top. Neither stink.

It has been a while since I had the heater going inside the shop.
Right now, things are cluttered enough, I'm not sure I want any kind
of flame going. B-) So I can't say if there is some other kind of
smell resulting from burning propane.
My other issue is the noise, but between freezing and not being
able to hear the radio "How do you like your coffee?"

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My experience with propane powered cars is if they run rich they
stink and if they run lean enough to misfire they stink worse. Set up
properly there is virtually no stink. Your burner is likely running
"orange" instead of blue-white.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Clare Snyder on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 02:04:49 -0500

wrote:

[...]

Hard to say. It is one of the Mr Heater" dual purpose (heat or
cook). sorts, with a ceramic fireplace thing behind the meshwork, if I
remember right.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

" on Tue, 13 Nov
2018 11:46:51 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Are propane or kerosene heaters SAFE to use in enclosed spaces if the heater is not vented to the outside air?

Depends on what you mean by "safe". The issue is the build up of
combustion products, particularly Carbon Dioxide. If you don't have
adequate fresh air,* you may get a lot of incomplete combustion,
leading to Carbon Monoxide production. While breathing CO2 is bad, CO
is really bad to breath. Insidious in a manner that CO2 isn't.

tschus
pyotr

*one of the drawbacks of modern 'airtight' energy efficient
construction is the reduction in air exchange. Sure you used to have
drafts, but you didn't have to worry about the heater not getting
enough fresh air.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

Are propane or kerosene heaters SAFE to use in enclosed spaces if the heater is not vented to the outside air? I've always heard they were not safe if not vented outside.

https://www.google.com/search?q="vent+free+heater"

HTH

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The stink could also be burning dust. If so, it should go away soon
enough.

My other issue is the noise, but between freezing and not being
able to hear the radio "How do you like your coffee?"

Noise? Wood makes a lot more noise than propane. OTOH, an open flame
may not be such a good idea in a shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:58:28 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

" on Tue, 13 Nov
2018 11:46:51 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Are propane or kerosene heaters SAFE to use in enclosed spaces if the heater is not vented to the outside air?

Depends on what you mean by "safe". The issue is the build up of
combustion products, particularly Carbon Dioxide. If you don't have
adequate fresh air,* you may get a lot of incomplete combustion,
leading to Carbon Monoxide production. While breathing CO2 is bad, CO
is really bad to breath. Insidious in a manner that CO2 isn't.

tschus
pyotr

*one of the drawbacks of modern 'airtight' energy efficient
construction is the reduction in air exchange. Sure you used to have
drafts, but you didn't have to worry about the heater not getting
enough fresh air.

True enough but only a fool would have a combustion furnace, stove, or
other device in their home without a functional CO detector.
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:52:26 -0500 typed in
wrote:
[...]

In a ten by twelve shop (9.5 by 11.5 with the insulation) there
isn't room for more than me and the cat. A wood stove is not an
option, right now. I bundle up and she has a fur coat (and heated pad
for sleeping on.)

Sigh. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have the shop in a
different place, and ....
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 13:49:42 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

On 11/12/2018 7:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

How about a heat pump? Something like this ...
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...pSrc=srch&th=1

The SEER for this unit seems pretty low for a mini-split. Wonder why.
Any HVAC workers around?

Posted to rec.woodworking

on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:54:43 -0500 typed in
wrote:

[...]

When drafts like those, exhaust product production is not a major
concern.
Now, the next question is: how sensitive do you want your
detector? 100ppm? 50ppm? the least amount detectable?

I want the best detection possible at an affordable price. The alarm
limit is a different story -and even there, very low because if you
are getting ANY Co something is not working right - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/15/2018 9:37 AM, swalker wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 13:49:42 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

On 11/12/2018 7:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

How about a heat pump? Something like this ...
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...pSrc=srch&th=1

The SEER for this unit seems pretty low for a mini-split. Wonder why.
Any HVAC workers around?

Considering the average 12,000BTU window or through wall AC unit (at
120v) has a CEER or SEER rating of 10.5 or less, 17.2 is nothing to
sneeze at. Don't recall what the 12,000BTU unit we replaced with this
split system had, but our electric bill dropped and even if it hadn't
we'd be happy as this is whisper (literally) quiet.

This Pioneer unit was not significantly more expensive than a top of the
line thru wall unit of the same capacity. My only regret with the
purchase is that we didn't start with this unit.

If you look into the additional cost involved with very high SEER rated
units and computer energy savings over a 15 year period, you'll find
that you're coming up at least $1,000 short. High SEER looks good,
sells good, but really isn't worth it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich writes:

Now, the next question is: how sensitive do you want your
detector? 100ppm? 50ppm? the least amount detectable?

The atmospheric fraction of CO is 0.1PPM, so you don't want
your detector to be too sensitive (e.g. to the PPB).

The lethal concentration leading to a 50% death rate is 4000PPM
over 30 minutes, or 5000PPM over 5 minutes.

The permissible exposure limit is 50PPM.

The recommended exposure limit ie 35PPM.

Immediate danger at 1200PPM.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I didn't mean to suggest wood, just that propane is quieter than wood
(which isn't deafening). Both have the problem of open flame, which
probably isn't good where there's a lot of flammable dust.

Sigh. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have the shop in a
different place, and ....

I've had a couple of do-overs. My previous house had my shop split
between the garage and the attic. It was a good workout but not very
efficient. I have 2000 ft^2 of unfinished walk-out basement in this
house. I learn from my mistakes. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:23:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:52:26 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

My other issue is the noise, but between freezing and not being
able to hear the radio "How do you like your coffee?"

Noise? Wood makes a lot more noise than propane. OTOH, an open flame
may not be such a good idea in a shop.

This burner "roars" when running. I makes more noise than I ever
heard out of a wood stove.

The "salamander" type jet heaters ARE noisy and DANGEROUS. AKA
"construction heaters"
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:52:26 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

My other issue is the noise, but between freezing and not being
able to hear the radio "How do you like your coffee?"

Noise? Wood makes a lot more noise than propane. OTOH, an open flame
may not be such a good idea in a shop.

This burner "roars" when running. I makes more noise than I ever
heard out of a wood stove.

Propane? I've heard noisy kerosene heaters (salamanders) but I can't
imagine why a propane heater would have to be noisy. I guess
anything's possible but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 17:40:39
+0000 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:52:26 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

My other issue is the noise, but between freezing and not being
able to hear the radio "How do you like your coffee?"

Noise? Wood makes a lot more noise than propane. OTOH, an open flame
may not be such a good idea in a shop.

This burner "roars" when running. I makes more noise than I ever
heard out of a wood stove.

"roars"?

https://youtu.be/zEArFOV3LnY
https://youtu.be/qEyygtCZAN4?t=354
https://youtu.be/OFUDYnD6Qwc?t=324
https://youtu.be/bw2Z2C2UTBA?t=181

yea, I'd say that's an accurate description.

What I have is along these lines:
https://www.equipsupply.com/mr-heate...oker-ene-mh15c

Works real well to make coffee and take the chill off "the shack".

It is that "make coffee"feature I snagged it for.
--
pyotr filipivich