Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sofa Table ReDo

Several weeks I mentioned that I was refinishing a sofa table for a
customer. Unfortunately I applied the last varnish coat during a hot
and humid day. It took more than 3 weeks for the varnish to dry well
enough that you could handle the parts that were painted black.
Fortunately I varnished the top a few weeks before and dry time was
simply over night.

Anyway, she is happy and I delivered the piece yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 11:10:04 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Several weeks I mentioned that I was refinishing a sofa table for a
customer. Unfortunately I applied the last varnish coat during a hot
and humid day. It took more than 3 weeks for the varnish to dry well
enough that you could handle the parts that were painted black.
Fortunately I varnished the top a few weeks before and dry time was
simply over night.

Anyway, she is happy and I delivered the piece yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Very nice. Certainly can't readily tell the top is 5-6 boards.

This morning/today is the first day with temps below 90° and much lower humidity, in a long time. Whew!

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Several weeks I mentioned that I was refinishing a sofa table for
a customer.Â* Unfortunately I applied the last varnish coat during
a hot and humid day.Â* It took more than 3 weeks for the varnish
to dry well enough that you could handle the parts that were
painted black.
Fortunately I varnished the top a few weeks before and dry time
was simply over night.

Anyway, she is happy and I delivered the piece yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I'm especially enchanted by the 19th century style base. I feel
pretty sure I would have put an elliptical top on it, but that's
just me. As it is, it's prettier than anything I have ever built
and may ever build! LOVE the curves!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2018 3:33 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
Several weeks I mentioned that I was refinishing a sofa table for a
customer.Â* Unfortunately I applied the last varnish coat during a hot
and humid day.Â* It took more than 3 weeks for the varnish to dry well
enough that you could handle the parts that were painted black.
Fortunately I varnished the top a few weeks before and dry time was
simply over night.

Anyway, she is happy and I delivered the piece yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I'm especially enchanted by the 19th century style base.Â* I feel pretty
sure I would have put an elliptical top on it, but that's just me. As it
is, it's prettier than anything I have ever built and may ever build!
LOVE the curves!

Bill

FWIW I only refinished the piece. this is not normally my style but I
like it too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:33:45 -0400, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:
Several weeks I mentioned that I was refinishing a sofa table for
a customer.* Unfortunately I applied the last varnish coat during
a hot and humid day.* It took more than 3 weeks for the varnish
to dry well enough that you could handle the parts that were
painted black.
Fortunately I varnished the top a few weeks before and dry time
was simply over night.

Anyway, she is happy and I delivered the piece yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I'm especially enchanted by the 19th century style base. I feel
pretty sure I would have put an elliptical top on it, but that's
just me. As it is, it's prettier than anything I have ever built
and may ever build! LOVE the curves!

Bill

Yep - nice elegant lines & dimensions.
I forget - was this piece original construction
and just re-finished - or re-constructed ?
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Several weeks I mentioned that I was refinishing a sofa table for a
customer.Â* Unfortunately I applied the last varnish coat during a hot
and humid day.Â* It took more than 3 weeks for the varnish to dry well
enough that you could handle the parts that were painted black.
Fortunately I varnished the top a few weeks before and dry time was
simply over night.

Anyway, she is happy and I delivered the piece yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I'm especially enchanted by the 19th century style base.Â* I feel
pretty sure I would have put an elliptical top on it, but that's just
me. As it is, it's prettier than anything I have ever built and may
ever build! LOVE the curves!

Bill

FWIW I only refinished the piece.Â* this is not normally my style but I
like it too.

Nice work, as usual.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Several weeks I mentioned that I was refinishing a sofa table for a
customer.Â* Unfortunately I applied the last varnish coat during a
hot and humid day.Â* It took more than 3 weeks for the varnish to dry
well enough that you could handle the parts that were painted black.
Fortunately I varnished the top a few weeks before and dry time was
simply over night.

Anyway, she is happy and I delivered the piece yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I'm especially enchanted by the 19th century style base.Â* I feel
pretty sure I would have put an elliptical top on it, but that's just
me. As it is, it's prettier than anything I have ever built and may
ever build! LOVE the curves!

Bill

FWIW I only refinished the piece.Â* this is not normally my style but I
like it too.

Nice work, as usual.

Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

It was like a drunk four legged critter when I got it. The finish was
sticky add clouded. It now stands stiff and ridged. ;~)

I refinished every thing and went with the complimentary black instead
of staining the aprons and legs the same as the top.