Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grizzly Prices

On 9/25/2018 9:20 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:46:02 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 9/25/18 6:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 4:02:26 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
I went browsing at Grizzly and noticed many of the prices now
featured an added "tariff fee" of about 20%. Maybe it has been
this way for while and I just noticed? When I searched online, I
found out that even people who already had orders in place were
informed that a 20% fee would be added. Just out of curiosity,
what is the actual amount of the tariff? Are they already
charging it at the border? It must be more difficult to sell
Grizzly tools after an instant 20% markup... I read that Harbor
Freight is following suit (I don't know if that's true or not,
but have little doubt that higher costs lead to higher prices..).

I can't speak to the exact amount of the tariffs, but...

First, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some amount of price gouging
by companies that raise their prices on products that are already on the
shelf and not impacted by the tariffs. Just like when gas prices go up at
the first mention of a hurricane, even on the gas that is already in the
local gas station's tanks.

I heard an interview of the owner of a company that makes specialty
waterproof lighting (scuba lights, lights for TV stations so they can
film the reporter out in the storm, etc.) He buys his parts from China
and assembles the lights in the US. It's the parts that will impacted
by the tariffs. Meanwhile, some of his competitors also buy their parts
from China, but they have the equipment assembled in "most favored nation"
countries. No tariffs on the Chinese parts going into those countries and
no tariffs on the fully assembled product coming into the US. The owner
said that he will not be able to compete with those companies unless he
moves his assembly operations overseas.

The interview did not include the question "How many American jobs
will be lost?"

My concern is that even if the tariff scheme is a negotiating tactic being
employed just to bring the Chinese to the table, companies such as this
lighting company have to do what they have to do to stay in business *today*.
They can't wait for the ploy to play out. Once they set the wheels in motion
to send the jobs overseas, it probably won't get undone even if the tariffs
are removed.

There are also companies that are adding jobs because of the tariffs.
We have to wait it out, we have no choice.
We've been on an un-level playing field with China for too long and
something needed to be done about it. These tariffs are a step to
turning the tide. China doesn't want to lose its biggest market. Is it
a Chess match? Yes. But at least we're finally at table.

+1

Do we have the stomach to stay at the table?

We have been since Carter took office. IMHO it is high time that we do
unto others as they have done unto us.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Huh? We've capitulated to every two-bit dictator around the world.