Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grizzly Prices

Markem writes:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 15:45:10 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

If Grizzly only wanted to maintain their status quo they would sell
existing stock at cost plus markup % and leave the tariff out of it.

But by letting the customer know the price increase is due to Trump's
tariffs, they pass the buck to the customer and the blame on Trump.

Well, it is his fault after all.

Gotta pay for those foolish tax cuts somehow, after all. Might as
well soak the consumer so we don't have to tax the rich.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If Grizzly only wanted to maintain their status quo they would sell
existing stock at cost plus markup % and leave the tariff out of it.

But by letting the customer know the price increase is due to Trump's
tariffs, they pass the buck to the customer and the blame on Trump.

Well, it is his fault after all.

Gotta pay for those foolish tax cuts somehow, after all. Might as
well soak the consumer so we don't have to tax the rich.

Those same consumers who's confidence is at a near record high?
Like I said, it had to be done. The Chinese were and still are playing
the game at a huge (yuuuuge) unfair advantage.
But American consumers don't care as long as they can buy their $7.99
lawn chairs and other crap that would be impossible to manufacture that
cheap without near-slave wages absolutely no environmental regulations.
In the big picture, you see European nations starting to drop their
tariffs on our exports.
If it's allowed to be played out, it will be much, much better for our
economy and workers in the long run.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Unless we are experiencing a feedback loop where bull markets feed
consumer confidence which keeps the bull running which increases consumer
confidence which keeps the bull running, etc. etc.

Shiller's "Irrational Exuberance" phrase comes to mind. Former Fed Chair
Greenspan used it in a speech to describe the dot com bubble in 1996, a few
years before the bubble burst.

Earnings spiked with the tax cuts early this year, so P/E's aren't out of
line - yet. Let's hope this tariff game plays out before the market is
so overvalued that it all comes crashing down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, positive feedback always has its risks.

Shiller's "Irrational Exuberance" phrase comes to mind. Former Fed Chair
Greenspan used it in a speech to describe the dot com bubble in 1996, a few
years before the bubble burst.

....and so did GWB, before the housing collapse, in fact. It didn't
take a genius to see what was coming. People buying houses they have
no business buying and using their houses as ATMs can't end well.

Earnings spiked with the tax cuts early this year, so P/E's aren't out of
line - yet. Let's hope this tariff game plays out before the market is
so overvalued that it all comes crashing down.

OTOH, perhaps tariffs will be a better brake on the economy than the
Fed could dream of being. ...to long-term gain, as well.