Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OSHA requirment

Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop
today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took
the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could
not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return
them to me disassembled.

Anybody have this experience?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 9:54:43 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop
today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took
the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could
not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return
them to me disassembled.

Anybody have this experience?

Let's ask OSHA, shall we?

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...s/2009-03-16-1

I quote the final conclusion:

"In sum, there is no OSHA construction standard that specifically prohibits
the reassembly of a defective electric power tool. However, the repair
company you refer to may be concerned that reassembling the tool could
result in a construction employer putting it back into service in an
unrepaired condition, which the standards referenced above would prohibit"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 20:54:31 -0500, swalker wrote:

Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop
today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took
the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could
not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return
them to me disassembled.

Anybody have this experience?

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/2009-03-16-1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/7/2018 9:54 PM, swalker wrote:

Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop
today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took
the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could
not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return
them to me disassembled.

Anybody have this experience?

It protects them from giving you a tool that does not meet standards of
proper operation. Using such a tool would be an OSHA violation. It is
more of a CYA than anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 20:54:31 -0500, swalker wrote:

Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop
today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took
the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could
not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return
them to me disassembled.

Anybody have this experience?

Having read all this I can see the logic.

It really didn't matter to me one way or the other.

It they can not fix the tool I will certainly not drive the distance
to the repair center to pick it up. I will replace it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 12:23:53 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 20:54:31 -0500, swalker wrote:

Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop
today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took
the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could
not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return
them to me disassembled.

Anybody have this experience?

Having read all this I can see the logic.

It really didn't matter to me one way or the other.

It they can not fix the tool I will certainly not drive the distance
to the repair center to pick it up. I will replace it.

"Any item not picked up within 10 days will be assessed a storage fee of $5
per day. After 30 days, there will be a disposal fee of $25 per item."

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 11:23:46 -0500, swalker wrote:

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 20:54:31 -0500, swalker wrote:

Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop
today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took
the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could
not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return
them to me disassembled.

Anybody have this experience?

Having read all this I can see the logic.

It really didn't matter to me one way or the other.

It they can not fix the tool I will certainly not drive the distance
to the repair center to pick it up. I will replace it.

I wouldn't take a portable power tool (particularly anything from PC)
in for repair, at all. I'd just replace it. Labor is just too
expensive these days to bother with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't take a portable power tool (particularly anything from PC)
in for repair, at all. I'd just replace it. Labor is just too
expensive these days to bother with it.

I was offered free repair recently - to replace a wheel on a
favourite piece of luggage - but by the time I paid for shipping
or drove 90 minutes each way twice .. nah.
... so they sent not one wheel - but two wheel assemblies
shipped free to my home - now if I had an industrial riviting
machine, I'd be all set !
I'm still pondering - to drill out one of the new wheels and
do the wheel-only replacement ... not sure how to make
it a proper job .. never done any rivet peening before
... brass rivet or something else ? ideas welcomed.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 5:55:50 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I wouldn't take a portable power tool (particularly anything from PC)
in for repair, at all. I'd just replace it. Labor is just too
expensive these days to bother with it.

I was offered free repair recently - to replace a wheel on a
favourite piece of luggage - but by the time I paid for shipping
or drove 90 minutes each way twice .. nah.

Is there another excuse for making that drive? A park that you wanted to visit?
A restaurant that you wanted to try? A friend you haven't seen in a while? A
fair or festival that sounds like fun?

When SWMBO and I have to make a drive for a reason that we aren't thrilled
about, we try to find a way to make an adventure/day-cation out of the chore.
We've visited/hiked places that we never would have considered if we hadn't
have been "forced" to go in that direction.

A couple of weeks ago we walked 5 miles at Ashley Reservoir in Western MA
because we had to visit a family member that is ill. It added some enjoyment
to an otherwise depressing trip.

https://tinyurl.com/Ashley-Reservoir

Full URL

https://cdn-assets.alltrails.com/upl...1a45680cf8.jpg

.. so they sent not one wheel - but two wheel assemblies
shipped free to my home - now if I had an industrial riviting
machine, I'd be all set !
I'm still pondering - to drill out one of the new wheels and
do the wheel-only replacement ... not sure how to make
it a proper job .. never done any rivet peening before
.. brass rivet or something else ? ideas welcomed.
John T.

As I'm sure you know, there are lots of YouTube videos and instructions
for luggage wheel replacement available on the old interweb. Find the
style/brand of luggage that matches yours and have at it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't take a portable power tool (particularly anything from PC)
in for repair, at all. I'd just replace it. Labor is just too
expensive these days to bother with it.

I was offered free repair recently - to replace a wheel on a
favourite piece of luggage - but by the time I paid for shipping
or drove 90 minutes each way twice .. nah.

Is there another excuse for making that drive? A park that you wanted to visit?
A restaurant that you wanted to try? A friend you haven't seen in a while? A
fair or festival that sounds like fun?

Toronto - I enjoyid it like root canal surgury.

.. so they sent not one wheel - but two wheel assemblies
shipped free to my home - now if I had an industrial riviting
machine, I'd be all set !
I'm still pondering - to drill out one of the new wheels and
do the wheel-only replacement ... not sure how to make
it a proper job .. never done any rivet peening before
.. brass rivet or something else ? ideas welcomed.
John T.

As I'm sure you know, there are lots of YouTube videos and instructions
for luggage wheel replacement available on the old interweb. Find the
style/brand of luggage that matches yours and have at it.

Nope - I haven't done a web/youtube search - thanks for the tip.
.... I doubt that the style/brand makes much difference, though.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 11:04:17 AM UTC-4, wrote:

[...]

I'll bet you'll be surprised. Do an image search on "luggage wheels".

Singles, dualies, wheels that mount inside a holder, holders that
mount outside the wheel, etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...ge-wheels.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2018 10:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 5:55:50 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I was offered free repair recently - to replace a wheel on a
favourite piece of luggage - but by the time I paid for shipping
or drove 90 minutes each way twice .. nah.

Is there another excuse for making that drive? A park that you wanted to visit?
A restaurant that you wanted to try? A friend you haven't seen in a while? A
fair or festival that sounds like fun?

When SWMBO and I have to make a drive for a reason that we aren't thrilled
about, we try to find a way to make an adventure/day-cation out of the chore.

We do the same. I also wonder if you called ahead if they would do the
repair in a short time. Go have lunch and come back for it.

I like to drive so any place at any time works for me. I've done a 60
mile round trip many times because a particular bakery had the best rye
bread in New England.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 10:53:50 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/11/2018 10:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 5:55:50 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I was offered free repair recently - to replace a wheel on a
favourite piece of luggage - but by the time I paid for shipping
or drove 90 minutes each way twice .. nah.

Is there another excuse for making that drive? A park that you wanted to visit?
A restaurant that you wanted to try? A friend you haven't seen in a while? A
fair or festival that sounds like fun?

When SWMBO and I have to make a drive for a reason that we aren't thrilled
about, we try to find a way to make an adventure/day-cation out of the chore.

We do the same. I also wonder if you called ahead if they would do the
repair in a short time. Go have lunch and come back for it.

I like to drive

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've said "I like to drive" I could
hire a chauffeur. Then I'd make him sit in the back seat. ;-)

so any place at any time works for me. I've done a 60
mile round trip many times because a particular bakery had the best rye
bread in New England.

Many years back when we were "perfecting" my son's World Championship Soap
Box Derby car, I used to make the 180 mile round trip to my buddy's shop 2-3
a week for about 4 months. Mostly after work/school. I never minded the
drives (well, almost never) and my son enjoyed the time too. Lots of
homework got done in the back of our van. Lots of talking got done too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/12/2018 5:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Many years back when we were "perfecting" my son's World Championship Soap
Box Derby car, I used to make the 180 mile round trip to my buddy's shop 2-3
a week for about 4 months. Mostly after work/school. I never minded the
drives (well, almost never) and my son enjoyed the time too. Lots of
homework got done in the back of our van. Lots of talking got done too.

You talked?

Many cars now come with screens in the back so passengers can watch a
movie on DVD, etc. Don't kids look at screens enough today? Look out
the window and see the world go by and talk to your parents. Now you
can drive coast to coast and see nothing but movies. You won't in my car.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:53:07 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/12/2018 5:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Many years back when we were "perfecting" my son's World Championship Soap
Box Derby car, I used to make the 180 mile round trip to my buddy's shop 2-3
a week for about 4 months. Mostly after work/school. I never minded the
drives (well, almost never) and my son enjoyed the time too. Lots of
homework got done in the back of our van. Lots of talking got done too.

You talked?

Many cars now come with screens in the back so passengers can watch a
movie on DVD, etc. Don't kids look at screens enough today? Look out
the window and see the world go by and talk to your parents. Now you
can drive coast to coast and see nothing but movies. You won't in my car.

1997 Dodge Ram B2500 Conversion Van

No screens except when I would put my 13" TV/VCR combo in the back when we
went away on race weekends. That's when the kids would watch videos or play
games while the *Dad's* talked. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 10:53:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many cars now come with screens in the back so passengers can watch a
movie on DVD, etc. Don't kids look at screens enough today? Look out
the window and see the world go by and talk to your parents. Now you
can drive coast to coast and see nothing but movies. You won't in my
car.

People are pretty much held captive by their hand-held devices; that's
why they're called cell phones.

Safety and OSHA rules... Oren[_2_] Home Repair 1 October 12th 10 01:36 AM
OSHA? rangerssuck Metalworking 16 May 6th 10 12:47 PM
Lawyers, OSHA & Attic Ladders wws Metalworking 9 December 25th 04 04:28 PM
OSHA Those Minds Metalworking 38 May 19th 04 06:16 AM
Rant: Lawyers, OSHA & Attic Ladders Doug White Metalworking 7 October 10th 03 11:23 AM