Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cool Wooden Restaurant Benches - Comfortable?

On 9/3/2018 9:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
SWMBO and I had a really good but way too expensive (IMO) breakfast at a
restaurant in Amherst, MA. I'm more of greasy spoon diner breakfast kind of
guy but this place was suggested by the owner of the Airbnb we were staying
at, so we tried it. Anyway, they had some cool wooden and metal benches. I
didn't get a chance to sit on one, so I can't speak to the comfort. The seats
seem like they would be fine, but the backs look like they wouldn't be
comfortable for all customers. Have a look...

https://i.imgur.com/XPMMfSe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/brFrYqH.jpg

Of all of the things I do not build, anything you sit on. Seating is
just too touchy to get right. It can look great and might be something
you would not want your worst enemy to sit in.

These benches are cool but "many" restaurants have uncomfortable chairs
for a reason, they don't want you staying too long after you have eaten.

These might fit the bill just right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 07:55:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

I understand this is the same reason they tend to make restaurants
loud with garish lighting. These customer unfriendly tactics make for
grumpy customers if the kitchen is slow. Grumpy customers make for
grumpy (underpaid) staff.

These might fit the bill just right.

Another place to avoid.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 7:55:56 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Of all of the things I do not build, anything you sit on. Seating is
just too touchy to get right.

Getting a little off Derby's subject, some comments about seating:
I've built quite a few seats and, yes, it's somewhat hard to make a nice comfortable seat that suits everyone. I suspect this is one problem with comfortable seating, that, one design can't satisfy all sitters. For some time, now, I've built to satisfy my personal comfort and that seems to be the best approach for achieving more of others' comfort, as well.

In many of my seat-building cases, it hasn't been the comfort aspect that has been my most pressing problem, but getting the correct jointery and mating of the joints, for the overall surety of the structure, especially with rocking chairs, where the forces, on the structure, vary, as one rocks.

As to rocking chairs, one leg longer and/or the angle (front to back) of each the rockers, themselves, needs to be the same exact angle, otherwise the rocker will creep sideways, across the floor, as one rocks.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

As to rocking chairs, one leg longer and/or the angle (front to back)
of each the rockers, needs to be the same exact angle, otherwise
the rocker will creep sideways, across the floor, as one rocks.
Sonny

.... here, all along, I thought it was the whisky ! :-)
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 8:53:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:

As to rocking chairs, one leg longer and/or the angle (front to back)
of each the rockers, needs to be the same exact angle, otherwise
the rocker will creep sideways, across the floor, as one rocks.
Sonny

... here, all along, I thought it was the whisky ! :-)
John T.

It is the whisky, during the build and the rocking.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/18 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/3/2018 9:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
SWMBO and I had a really good but way too expensive (IMO) breakfast at a
restaurant in Amherst, MA. I'm more of greasy spoon diner breakfast
kind of
guy but this place was suggested by the owner of the Airbnb we were
staying
at, so we tried it. Anyway, they had some cool wooden and metal
benches. I
didn't get a chance to sit on one, so I can't speak to the comfort.
The seats
seem like they would be fine, but the backs look like they wouldn't be
comfortable for all customers. Have a look...

https://i.imgur.com/XPMMfSe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/brFrYqH.jpg

Of all of the things I do not build, anything you sit on.Â* Seating is
just too touchy to get right.Â* It can look great and might be something
you would not want your worst enemy to sit in.

These benches are cool but "many" restaurants have uncomfortable chairs
for a reason, they don't want you staying too long after you have eaten.

These might fit the bill just right.

That was my though.
Most of the Mexican restaurants around here have benches with the seat
made of flat plywood with no padding and the back "rest" the same
material at 90 degrees from the seat. Talk about uncomfortable.

Those types of businesses are based om quantity, not quality.
Get em in and out in a hurry.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2018 9:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/4/18 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

material at 90 degrees from the seat.Â* Talk about uncomfortable.

Those types of businesses are based om quantity, not quality.
Get em in and out in a hurry.

Eggsactly! Almost anyone can sit on anything for 20-35 minutes but only
if they are already being served. If I have not been served I will tend
to walk out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 7:19:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 9/4/2018 9:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/4/18 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I hate waiting at restaurants. I too have walked out, usually letting
someone who works there know why.

I also tend to ask for the check "early". Sometimes at the "How is everything?"
visit when I know we won't be having desert, otherwise I'll ask them to bring
the check at the time we order dessert. I'm polite, usually saying something
like "We have plans for right after dinner. Would you mind getting the check
ready when you have a chance? Thanks!"

As much as I hate waiting to order my food, I hate even more having to wait
for the check after I'm done eating.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2018 9:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

As much as I hate waiting to order my food, I hate even more having to wait
for the check after I'm done eating.

Aside from some tourist traps, you'd not enjoy eating out in Italy.
Nothing is rushed and many restaurants do not open until 7 PM. The
check will not come until you are finished your last drop of espresso.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2018 9:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/4/18 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yup! I do the same in the grocery store. I don't tolerate waiting to
PAY. I once wasked away from a full basket because the register lines
had 5~7 people in each, with full baskets. Only 4 of the 10-12 registers
were open and there were 3 or 4 supervisors standing around just
watching. I think they watched me walk out of the store empty handed.
:~) Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/5/2018 9:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/4/2018 9:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

As much as I hate waiting to order my food, I hate even more having to
wait
for the check after I'm done eating.

Aside from some tourist traps, you'd not enjoy eating out in Italy.
Nothing is rushed and many restaurants do not open until 7 PM.Â* The
check will not come until you are finished your last drop of espresso.

Not unique to Italy, Small town Texas is that way too. BUT if you are
out of town your time is probably not so cramped.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 11:21:23 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 9/5/2018 9:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/4/2018 9:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

As much as I hate waiting to order my food, I hate even more having to
wait
for the check after I'm done eating.

Aside from some tourist traps, you'd not enjoy eating out in Italy.
Nothing is rushed and many restaurants do not open until 7 PM.Â* The
check will not come until you are finished your last drop of espresso.

Not unique to Italy, Small town Texas is that way too. BUT if you are
out of town your time is probably not so cramped.

I don't know about "probably". SWMBO and I just spent 2 weeks on a road
trip through Utah and Arizona. Basically a big loop around the Grand Canyon..

While our time was not "cramped", sitting in a restaurant was not a how we
wanted to spend the time that we had. Bryce, Zion, Lake Powell and the
Colorado River were the priorities.

Lot's of PB&J sandwiches on the trail. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/5/2018 1:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

When you are retired, vacations often give you a chance to unwind and
slow the pace down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 08:57:25 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

That's one reason[*] why I'm hesitant to retire; I'm working hard
enough now.
[*] The other being SWMBO doesn't want me at home. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2018 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/3/2018 9:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
SWMBO and I had a really good but way too expensive (IMO) breakfast at a
restaurant in Amherst, MA. I'm more of greasy spoon diner breakfast kind of
guy but this place was suggested by the owner of the Airbnb we were staying
at, so we tried it. Anyway, they had some cool wooden and metal benches. I
didn't get a chance to sit on one, so I can't speak to the comfort. The
seats
seem like they would be fine, but the backs look like they wouldn't be
comfortable for all customers. Have a look...

https://i.imgur.com/XPMMfSe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/brFrYqH.jpg

Of all of the things I do not build, anything you sit on.Â* Seating is just
too touchy to get right.Â* It can look great and might be something you
would not want your worst enemy to sit in.

These benches are cool but "many" restaurants have uncomfortable chairs for
a reason, they don't want you staying too long after you have eaten.

These might fit the bill just right.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2018 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:

Of all of the things I do not build, anything you sit on. Seating is
just too touchy to get right. It can look great and might be something
you would not want your worst enemy to sit in.

Seating is a challenge to get right, but good design is everywhere. The
big thing for most is working with angles. Much woodworking is simply
squares, chairs, not so much. My first chair was a childs rocking chair
and it was a bitch. Still have it 35 years later and still remember the
problems it gave me to get right.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2018 10:42 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/4/2018 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:

Of all of the things I do not build, anything you sit on.Â* Seating is
just too touchy to get right.Â* It can look great and might be something
you would not want your worst enemy to sit in.

Seating is a challenge to get right, but good design is everywhere.Â* The
big thing for most is working with angles.Â* Much woodworking is simply
squares, chairs, not so much. My first chair was a childs rocking chair
and it was a bitch.Â* Still have it 35 years later and still remember the
problems it gave me to get right.

Precisely. My wife and I were on vacation one year and wandered into an
Amish furniture store. I found an attractive dining room chair, sat in
it, and immediately got right back up. It was uncomfortable. A chair
at the next table looked very similar but sitting in it was a pleasure.
When we returned home we looked for 3 years to get that feel again at
the local Amish furniture stores. It tool that many years to find that
right fit again and we bought 6 all wood chairs. Most every one that
sits in them really like the fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 12:57:10 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 9/6/2018 10:42 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/4/2018 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I think that you should have all of us over to see/try them.

I'm available this weekend. Does that work for everyone else?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:11:27 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

On 9/4/2018 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

But where is the comfy chair???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2018 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Don't know, but it certainly isn't in that restaurant.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2018 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

In Leon's dining room. We're all meeting there for beers at 6:00. Be
there!