Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is this safe????

It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2018 1:44 PM, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

Is what safe, the rope or the Eye bolt?

I would think the bolt should go in further.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2:44:30 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

I would not rely on on a lag screw, especially where it could spin/rotate. I put a pair of 2x4's with 1/2" plywood spacers across 2 joists (attic) and used a threaded eye bolt/locknut and a 3/4" plywood "washer" to hang a similar chair, and likewise on a "floating" corner of a loft bed, rather than a corner post to the floor...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 1:44:30 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

Porch swings are hung using eye bolts. It depends on how large (diameter) the eye bolt is and how long it is, to have more than enough threads into the joist. I wouldn't trust or feel comfortable with a 1/4" eye bolt, which looks, to me, what that is.

I vote: No.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny writes:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 1:44:30 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

Porch swings are hung using eye bolts. It depends on how large (diameter) the eye bolt is and how long it is, to have more than enough threads into the joist. I wouldn't trust or feel comfortable with a 1/4" eye bolt, which looks, to me, what that is.

I vote: No.

Sonny

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ad-Limits.aspx

two 1/4" eye bolts (forged, fully closed eye, not home depot) should support a load
of 1000 pounds.

for non-forged (wire, i.e. not fully closed) eye bolts, the limit is 50# per each 1/4"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2018 1:44 PM, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

As Leon says, the screw should have full thread depth in the wood; we
don't know what size the screw is nor pilot hole was drilled so can't
comment on what might be the actual installed strength of the connection.

"Safe" depends on what the maximum working load is going to be as well
from a purely practical standpoint without consideration of any
code-like rules...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/22/2018 1:44 PM, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

As Leon says, the screw should have full thread depth in the wood; we
don't know what size the screw is nor pilot hole was drilled so can't
comment on what might be the actual installed strength of the connection.

"Safe" depends on what the maximum working load is going to be as well
from a purely practical standpoint without consideration of any
code-like rules...

And let's not even speak to the load capacity of the cord, the canvas
(?) seating, the weight of the occupant, the. . .

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 17:26:48 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/22/2018 1:44 PM, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

As Leon says, the screw should have full thread depth in the wood; we
don't know what size the screw is nor pilot hole was drilled so can't
comment on what might be the actual installed strength of the connection.

"Safe" depends on what the maximum working load is going to be as well
from a purely practical standpoint without consideration of any
code-like rules...

And let's not even speak to the load capacity of the cord, the canvas
(?) seating, the weight of the occupant, the. .

Person I used to know made slings for people who engage in
"alternative lifestyles". His general rule was that if it wouldn't
hold a Hemi, it wasn't strong enough (yes, he had a large Chrysler
engine that he used as a test article).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2018 3:22 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2:44:30 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:
It's in a joist pree drilled
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fz
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/g0

I would not rely on on a lag screw, especially where it could spin/rotate. I put a pair of 2x4's with 1/2" plywood spacers across 2 joists (attic) and used a threaded eye bolt/locknut and a 3/4" plywood "washer" to hang a similar chair, and likewise on a "floating" corner of a loft bed, rather than a corner post to the floor...

I agree. Don't drill a hole to weaken the one joist you are using to
support the load. Spread the load over two or more joists.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Some people weigh more than a typical V* engine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Static vs active load.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Anybody who weights more than 700 pounds probably won't be playing in
a sling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

But 200 lbs in action exerts more force on that hook than a hanging
700lb hemi!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

[...]