Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Recomendations for an Inexpesive Sand Blasting System ???

This will be a fairly sporadic, light duty service. I will mainly be doing
smallish metal parts that have been neglected over the years. Many things can
be handled with a wire brush and some sweat, but I anticipate a few items that
really do need to be blasted for paint removal and whatever reason.

I have a 33 gallon Craftsman oil less compressor that was given to me. It seems
to work ok the last time I used it. It is 110v on a 20a circuit and never trips
the breaker. When it dies I will upgrade to a bigger system. I don't remember
the cfm on the unit, and it is several hundred miles away at the moment.

I have looked at the HF blasting systems a couple of times. I bought their
cheapest system, a vacuum unit, a few years ago for some very light work. I
was not thrilled with it, but managed to use it to get the job done.

I would appreciate any recommendations of things to look for. Outside of my use
of the HF vacuum system, I have zero experience with sand blasting. I don't
want to spend a ton of money, but don't want to have to fight it every time I
need to use it either.

Much obliged,

Roy Parker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 8:43:25 PM UTC-7, Roy wrote:
This will be a fairly sporadic, light duty service. I will mainly be doing
smallish metal parts that have been neglected over the years. Many things can
be handled with a wire brush and some sweat, but I anticipate a few items that
really do need to be blasted for paint removal and whatever reason.

Look around on the Internet. I found several sites discussing merits of one system or another. The HF is about the cheapest, but it's not well made and many problems exist.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

A blast cabinet is really the way to go, but a small gravity fed Harbor
Freight gun has worked for me for small projects. I'm on my second one.

They both will use as much or as little air as you care to put through them.
Both will use the same media. The gun is dirt cheap, but the plastic sand
tank will get brittle and break after a few years. You should wear face
shield, respirator, long sleeves and gloves when using the gun. The blast
cabinet will last for decades. The windows will get crazed, but are easily
replaced. Recycling media is more practical with the cabinet. The cabinet
pretty much is its own protective gear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2018 1:35 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
A blast cabinet is really the way to go, but a small gravity fed Harbor
Freight gun has worked for me for small projects.Â* I'm on my second one.

They both will use as much or as little air as you care to put through
them. Both will use the same media.Â* The gun is dirt cheap, but the
plastic sand tank will get brittle and break after a few years.Â* You
should wear face shield, respirator, long sleeves and gloves when using
the gun.Â* The blast cabinet will last for decades.Â* The windows will get
crazed, but are easily replaced.Â* Recycling media is more practical with
the cabinet.Â* The cabinet pretty much is its own protective gear.

I'm Just Wondering, if the cabinet pretty much is its own
protective gear, why should you wear all that protective gear?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 2:40:27 PM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:

I'm Just Wondering,

LOL.

if the cabinet pretty much is its own
protective gear, why should you wear all that protective gear?

Because Bob said so. :-)

Kidding aside, I've never done blasting, but have watched. There's debris and dust flying all over, even when using a cabinet. Small investment for protective gear, which can be used for other tasks and other times.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Just Wondering" wrote in message ...

On 8/20/2018 1:35 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
A blast cabinet is really the way to go, but a small gravity fed Harbor
Freight gun has worked for me for small projects. I'm on my second one.

They both will use as much or as little air as you care to put through
them. Both will use the same media. The gun is dirt cheap, but the
plastic sand tank will get brittle and break after a few years. You
should wear face shield, respirator, long sleeves and gloves when using
the gun. The blast cabinet will last for decades. The windows will get
crazed, but are easily replaced. Recycling media is more practical with
the cabinet. The cabinet pretty much is its own protective gear.

I'm Just Wondering, if the cabinet pretty much is its own
protective gear, why should you wear all that protective gear?

**** Rather than explain it to you and restate what was already said I
suggest you re-read my previous post. Please note words included and not
included in specific sentences, and note that a period typically denotes the
end of a sentence. Even a poorly worded one. I'm sure you will figure it
out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2018 3:40 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/20/2018 1:35 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
A blast cabinet is really the way to go, but a small gravity fed Harbor
Freight gun has worked for me for small projects.Â* I'm on my second one.

They both will use as much or as little air as you care to put through
them. Both will use the same media.Â* The gun is dirt cheap, but the
plastic sand tank will get brittle and break after a few years.Â* You
should wear face shield, respirator, long sleeves and gloves when using
the gun.Â* The blast cabinet will last for decades.Â* The windows will get
crazed, but are easily replaced.Â* Recycling media is more practical with
the cabinet.Â* The cabinet pretty much is its own protective gear.

I'm Just Wondering, if the cabinet pretty much is its own
protective gear, why should you wear all that protective gear?

As he wrote: "You should wear face shield, respirator, long sleeves and
gloves when using the gun."
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 22:43:17 -0500, Roy wrote:

Thanks for the comments. My B-I-L tipped me off to using sand and high pressure
water instead of regular sand blasting. I had never heard of it, but some
videos on the web make it look plausible and relatively inexpensive. Nice thing
is no dust so no issues with silicosis.

I may go this route in the fall, still digging for info.

Regards,

Roy Parker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 11:30:03 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 22:43:17 -0500, Roy wrote:

Thanks for the comments. My B-I-L tipped me off to using sand and high pressure
water instead of regular sand blasting. I had never heard of it, but some
videos on the web make it look plausible and relatively inexpensive. Nice thing
is no dust so no issues with silicosis.

I may go this route in the fall, still digging for info.

Regards,

Roy Parker

Not sure if this will work for you. Just a suggestion...

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs...dia-92155.html

and/or

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs...dia-92150.html