Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Latest Project On My Own Home

There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening and
watching the wildlife, having a couple beers, listening to some yacht
rock, or just watching a summer rain storm as you sit in its breeze.
But I could really do without the mosquitoes. :-)

This is a project we've been wanting to do for quite a while and I
finally set aside some time to do it. It will have full screens from
bottom to top and a really cool window system called Magic Wall by
Solara, a company from Florida that started out making hurricane panels.

They don't have a lot of pictures, but I saw their system at the
Nashville builders convention and it's really cool. Basically, you have
these glass panels on tracks that slide open and closed. You can have 4
panels, that will slide into one. In my case, the patio is 13'x16', so
on 2 sides, I will have four 4' panels that slide over to 4', leaving
12' of full screen. On the end, there will be four panels that slide
over to 3', leaving 9' of full screen.

I decided to do the rafter framing in cedar and have solid, T&G roof
decking to be exposed from the underneath. The tie-in to the existing
roof with be plain old pine lumber, since it won't be seen.

Here's the progress so far, with all the cedar framing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26
I have to say this cedar is a joy to work with. Besides the smell, it
cuts wonderfully, is super light weight, and doesn't warp nearly as much
as SYP. Then there's the looks. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 6:31:37 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening and
watching the wildlife, having a couple beers, listening to some yacht
rock, or just watching a summer rain storm as you sit in its breeze.
But I could really do without the mosquitoes. :-)

Looking good....

And it's nice to see Crepe Myrtles that haven't been butchered, by pruning them 4'-5' off the ground. I'm sure they add to your lawn's relaxing ambiance. Next year, maybe you can add a hobbit/rabbit hole house under one of those crepe myrtles, to accent the hanging plants, etal, decor.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/18 8:58 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 6:31:37 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening
and watching the wildlife, having a couple beers, listening to some
yacht rock, or just watching a summer rain storm as you sit in its
breeze. But I could really do without the mosquitoes. :-)

Looking good....

And it's nice to see Crepe Myrtles that haven't been butchered, by
pruning them 4'-5' off the ground. I'm sure they add to your lawn's
relaxing ambiance. Next year, maybe you can add a hobbit/rabbit
hole house under one of those crepe myrtles, to accent the hanging
plants, etal, decor.

Sonny

1st... I was totally expecting a reply from "Cedar" Sonny! :-)
2nd... Yes, we love the Crepe Myrtles and so do all the birds and
squirrels. Our cat loves to climb in them... so much that I added some
ramps so he can run up and down easier. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 7:31:37 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Love the cedar!

How thick is that slab?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/18 9:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Ha! Everybody asks that. :-)
It's only 4" but has the skirts down the sides. The middle section is
packed fill.
It's called a monolithic slab. It's designed to incorporate the
foundation/footings into the slab in one pour. Since the posts are the
the load bearing foundation, the slab/skirt doesn't need to support and
weight of the structure.

However, it probably could since they made the skirt 8" wide just in
case the county code inspector was clueless.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/2018 6:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening and
watching the wildlife, having a couple beers, listening to some yacht
rock, or just watching a summer rain storm as you sit in its breeze. But
I could really do without the mosquitoes.Â* :-)

This is a project we've been wanting to do for quite a while and I
finally set aside some time to do it.Â* It will have full screens from
bottom to top and a really cool window system called Magic Wall by
Solara, a company from Florida that started out making hurricane panels.

They don't have a lot of pictures, but I saw their system at the
Nashville builders convention and it's really cool.Â* Basically, you have
these glass panels on tracks that slide open and closed.Â* You can have 4
panels, that will slide into one.Â* In my case, the patio is 13'x16', so
on 2 sides, I will have four 4' panels that slide over to 4', leaving
12' of full screen.Â* On the end, there will be four panels that slide
over to 3', leaving 9' of full screen.

I decided to do the rafter framing in cedar and have solid, T&G roof
decking to be exposed from the underneath.Â* The tie-in to the existing
roof with be plain old pine lumber, since it won't be seen.

Here's the progress so far, with all the cedar framing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26
I have to say this cedar is a joy to work with.Â* Besides the smell, it
cuts wonderfully, is super light weight, and doesn't warp nearly as much
as SYP.Â* Then there's the looks.Â* :-)

I have been thinking of doing something like that, again, for about 7
years. Looks great so far!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 9:04:37 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

1st... I was totally expecting a reply from "Cedar" Sonny! :-)
2nd... Yes, we love the Crepe Myrtles and so do all the birds and
squirrels. Our cat loves to climb in them... so much that I added some
ramps so he can run up and down easier. :-)

For a moment, other than my screen name, I wondered if I was that predictable.

It was good to hear of a project in progress. Lately, there hadn't been any posts of ongoing work. Folks must be on vacation, busy with back to school stuff and/or summer's heated lazy days for idleness, hence, no time for projects.

For about 2-3 weeks, I've been "away", so not much work from here. Mom had a bout with a UT infection and we've been double teaming her care, since she's been discharged from the hospital. She's improving, greatly, and is almost back to her normal elderly self, again, so we can relax, a bit, again.

Lately, a friend asked if I'd build and upholster (tufted) wall panels (bed headboard-like). The panels are to wrap around 3 walls in her dance studio. A wrap-around set of benches will complement the panels.... I'm not making or upholstering the benches. I should be, hoping to be, finished with the panels by mid next week.

A Korean friend saw my cedar table top, sitting idle since it was built.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
She asked me to make it into a tea table, 14" high, so I've made short legs.. I might will install the legs today, if I can finish the prep work. Maybe I'll have some presentable pics by this evening.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/3/18 7:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/2/2018 6:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening and
watching the wildlife, having a couple beers, listening to some yacht
rock, or just watching a summer rain storm as you sit in its breeze.
But I could really do without the mosquitoes.Â* :-)

This is a project we've been wanting to do for quite a while and I
finally set aside some time to do it.Â* It will have full screens from
bottom to top and a really cool window system called Magic Wall by
Solara, a company from Florida that started out making hurricane panels.

They don't have a lot of pictures, but I saw their system at the
Nashville builders convention and it's really cool.Â* Basically, you
have these glass panels on tracks that slide open and closed.Â* You can
have 4 panels, that will slide into one.Â* In my case, the patio is
13'x16', so on 2 sides, I will have four 4' panels that slide over to
4', leaving 12' of full screen.Â* On the end, there will be four panels
that slide over to 3', leaving 9' of full screen.

I decided to do the rafter framing in cedar and have solid, T&G roof
decking to be exposed from the underneath.Â* The tie-in to the existing
roof with be plain old pine lumber, since it won't be seen.

Here's the progress so far, with all the cedar framing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26
I have to say this cedar is a joy to work with.Â* Besides the smell, it
cuts wonderfully, is super light weight, and doesn't warp nearly as
much as SYP.Â* Then there's the looks.Â* :-)

I have been thinking of doing something like that, again, for about 7
years.Â*Â* Looks great so far!

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it.
So is our cat. Maybe he'll stop waking us up at 4:30am to go out, if he
can hng out on this thing all night. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/3/18 8:44 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

That's a gorgeous top. What finish did you use?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 9:48:55 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

A Korean friend saw my cedar table top, sitting idle since it was
built.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
She asked me to make it into a tea table, 14" high, so I've made short legs. I might will install the legs today, if I can finish the prep work. Maybe I'll
have some presentable pics by this evening.

Sonny

That's a gorgeous top. What finish did you use?

ER cedar is resinous. Often times, especially around knots and denser wood, the resin leaches/oozes out, little by little, over time. To help prevent this leaching, shellac is used as a blocker, similarly as Kiltz or other shellac primers are used. I think I used shellac as a first coating, then sprayed top coats of lacquer.

The resin, in ER cedar, moves/flows, somewhat like mercury in a thermometer, when temps fluctuate. The short legs are (somewhat) carved from cedar stump/log stock, some wood denseness varies within each leg. They have been in the house for a few days, acclimating to AC, so hopefully, the resin movement will be better/more limited, in/for their long term use.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/18 6:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I added a couple more pictures of one half of the 4/4 T&G Poplar roof
decking installed.
We stained the underside to match the Cedar and I have to say it's
pretty dead on.
It looks great from underneath.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 7:08:39 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I added a couple more pictures of one half of the 4/4 T&G Poplar roof
decking installed.
We stained the underside to match the Cedar and I have to say it's
pretty dead on.
It looks great from underneath.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26

Looking better and better each time. Seems you worked on the western side...... smart! If as here, the afternoon sun really beats down, making the high humidity even worse. Have a porch swing in mind? I can already sense having a relaxing swing and/or a couple of rockers under that canopy.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/18 8:24 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 7:08:39 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I added a couple more pictures of one half of the 4/4 T&G Poplar
roof decking installed. We stained the underside to match the Cedar
and I have to say it's pretty dead on. It looks great from
underneath.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26

Looking better and better each time. Seems you worked on the
western side..... smart! If as here, the afternoon sun really beats
down, making the high humidity even worse. Have a porch swing in
mind? I can already sense having a relaxing swing and/or a couple
of rockers under that canopy.

Sonny

That is the south side but it was late afternoon, so the sun was hitting
it from the west.
We have 80ft+ Poplars on the south property line that provide a lot of
shade, plus the giant Crepe Myrtles. There aren't too many hours of
direct sunlight.

My Sharn is right next to those Poplars so it actually stays very
reasonable inside it.

The wife brought up the porch swing idea, so it's under consideration.
She already has outdoor furniture picked out... they always seem to have
something decorated before it's actually built. :-)

Of course, I already have the speakers and flat-screen TV location in my
mind.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2018 10:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/6/18 8:24 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 7:08:39 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

[snip]

The wife brought up the porch swing idea, so it's under consideration.
She already has outdoor furniture picked out... they always seem to have
something decorated before it's actually built.Â* :-)

Of course, I already have the speakers and flat-screen TV location in my
mind.

A man's got to have his priorities straight. You do!

Looks great!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 10:05:01 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

The wife brought up the porch swing idea, so it's under consideration.
She already has outdoor furniture picked out... they always seem to have
something decorated before it's actually built. :-)

Of course, I already have the speakers and flat-screen TV location in my
mind.

One other possible consideration, if your place is like mine, mosquito control. Even in winter, we have bouts with mosquitoes. Walmart, HD, Lowes and other outlets have Yard Guard (or similar) mosquito spray.

I shoot 1/4 second spritz, here and there, in dark places, nooks and crannies, etc., to fend off/drive off those pesky critters. It doesn't take much spraying, just some short spritz, in their general hiding places.

The Yard Guard products are sold seasonally at some of the outlets, so they are not always available year 'round. If need be, you might want to get a couple of extra cans, for times the stores aren't offering the product, until next spring/summer time.

I often spritz my shop, also, before starting work, when out there late in the evenings.

The Yard Guard products are effective for a few/several hours, before needing spritzing, again, in those scenarios.

Very rarely, maybe once a year, do I have issues with wasps & hornets on the patios.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/18 7:28 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 10:05:01 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

The wife brought up the porch swing idea, so it's under
consideration. She already has outdoor furniture picked out... they
always seem to have something decorated before it's actually built.
:-)

[...]

This will be fully screened.

One of the main reasons we're building it is mosquitoes. They are very
bad around here. About the only thing that works is to have the pest
guys come and spray the entire yard. But we won't do that because it
kills about every other insect, too, including pollinators.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Latest project pics Nate Perkins Woodworking 7 November 28th 04 05:12 PM
Latest project - beech workbench Nate Perkins Woodworking 19 August 31st 04 01:17 AM
Latest Project Pics Dave Woodworking 4 June 20th 04 08:55 PM
Latest project: Civil War Cannon carriage Joe Wilding Woodworking 4 February 29th 04 05:29 PM
PICS: My latest project Chris Woodworking 3 July 18th 03 08:16 PM