Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Kitchen Bookcases - Finally Done

Some of you may remember that I posted a few questions related to the
bookcases that I was building for the kitchen. Chamfering the shaker style
doors, paint options, etc.

I think I initially put blade to wood back in January. Since then there
have been a ton of delays, some by choice, others forced upon me. The need
to replace all of the trim, including the window trim, where the bookcases
were going, the removal of an old corner cabinet, patching the walls and
floor, painting most of the kitchen - twice. (Bad choice of color the
first time). I hate painting.

Toss in the death of my Dad (expected, but sooner than expected), Mom
going into hospice (and then recovering), the emptying of their apartment,
(300 miles from me), a few weekends away with SWMBO, and every day life in
general.

Oh..yeah. Did I mentioned that I hate painting? I often found ways to
avoid the painting so that prolonged the project too.

Well, ~6 months later, they are done and in place. SWMBO has just started
us like the current set-up so ignore the books for the most part. So far
all we've agreed on is that she has a lot of cookbooks!

Here you go...

https://i.imgur.com/r9LuQG5.jpg

The backs of the bookcases are painted the same color as the walls. After
I had already dado'd the sides to fit the backs, SWMBO saw some "open back"
bookcases in a magazine and liked the look. We compromised and I painted
the back panels to match the walls.

The walnut and maple Cribbage board on the right hand base cabinet is one
that I made for my Dad about 30 years ago. We've played hundreds of game
with it over the years, so many that the stain on the pegs is worn away in
spots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/18 11:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

They look great.
Nice and simple-- a Shaker would be proud... well, no... humble. He
would approve. :-)

Sorry about your Dad.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 11:08:34 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Some of you may remember that I posted a few questions related to the
bookcases that I was building for the kitchen. Chamfering the shaker style
doors, paint options, etc.

I think I initially put blade to wood back in January. Since then there
have been a ton of delays, some by choice, others forced upon me.

Well worth the wait. Better to do it right, than fast. Good job.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2018 11:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Looks great and probably vintage appropriate.

If you were to do a little more, I would suggest a short bump out wall
to act as a room divider, just to the right of the cabinet where the
paint color samples are at. As it is it appears that the furniture is
too/wide for the room.

The books, turn them all up right, IMHO laying some down always looked
staged. I like to display things on a shelf, not just fill the shelf
for the sake of filling it. Books up right on a shelf look like they
should be there.

Great job! The cabinets look appropriately proportioned, doors, rails,
stiles. Except for the right side where the right cabinet is blocking
the opening to the other room. IMHO that opening should be made smaller
so that the cabinet dies not appear to block the opening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

paint color samples are at.Â* As it is it appears that the furniture is
too/wide for the room.

The books, turn them all up right, IMHO laying some down always looked
staged.Â* I like to display things on a shelf, not just fill the shelf
for the sake of filling it.Â* Books up right on a shelf look like they
should be there.

Great job!Â* The cabinets look appropriately proportioned, doors, rails,
stiles.Â* Except for the right side where the right cabinet is blocking
the opening to the other room.Â* IMHO that opening should be made smaller
so that the cabinet dies not appear to block the opening.

One more thing. The tops of the cabinets look unfinished. Look at the
bottom cabinets, their tops that extend past the fronts and sides. The
tops should have trim to extend past the fronts and sides too. A 1x2
laying flat on top of the perimeter of the cabinets would make the tops
look complete. Nothing fancy, just something to finish off the tops.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 10:00:28 AM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Simple they are. I offered SWMBO some options for dressing up the top of the
bookcases, but she opted for plain. The plan is to make matching doors for
all of the kitchen cabinets. When they are done, they will be sent out for
painting. Did I mention that I hate painting?

There is one thing about the design that has bothered me for a while. Should
the tops of the base cabinets be thicker? Somehow that 3/4" panel just seems
a little wimpy.

Sorry about your Dad.

Thanks. It's actually OK. His lungs were failing from too much exposure to
methyl bromide early in his career as an entomologist for the USDA. His need
to lug around an oxygen tank hit the 24-7 mark and he absolutely hated it.
We all knew the end was coming within a year or two (pulmonary fibrosis) but
he contracted pneumonia and passed while in re-hap. Of course there is
sadness, but there were very little tears. He wasn't happy, he couldn't help
my mom anymore and he really hated all the fuss related to his care. If the
saying "It was time" ever really applies, it certainly did here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 10:46:57 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 7/24/2018 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

See my reply to Mike the tops. SWMBO is reserving the right to add a
shelf across the top of the window. I'll toss some 1 by's up there and see
what she says.
Posted to rec.woodworking

There is one thing about the design that has bothered me for a while. Should
the tops of the base cabinets be thicker? Somehow that 3/4" panel just seems
a little wimpy.

I like what you have done. I also prefer a slightly thicker top, maybe a 5/4 rather than 4/4 with a very simple edge detail.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 10:42:58 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

That has been considered. In real life, they really don't look too wide as
there is a couch just out of view. There is also a floor lamp that usually
stands between the bookcase and the couch so it all sort of blends together.

There used to be a board up the wall where the paint samples are and a
built-in, open, 3 shelf book shelf thing that extended from that wall
as a "divider" between the rooms. It really looks much better without it.
I had to patch both the floor and the carpet when I removed it. (Don't move
the couch. I had to steal a piece of carpet for the patch. The carpet is
getting replaced after we paint the living room this fall.)

The books, turn them all up right, IMHO laying some down always looked
staged. I like to display things on a shelf, not just fill the shelf
for the sake of filling it. Books up right on a shelf look like they
should be there.

I agree. Do you want to tell SWMBO for me? ;-)

Great job! The cabinets look appropriately proportioned, doors, rails,
stiles. Except for the right side where the right cabinet is blocking
the opening to the other room. IMHO that opening should be made smaller
so that the cabinet dies not appear to block the opening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Did you draw this in Sketchup? And if so did you draw that wall and window?

Almost always I draw the room for a piece I am going to build. You get
to see what the results will look like before cutting wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 10:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

LOL, designers think books are art objects. Sorta like a guy redoing
his favorite vehicle and bolting a brake rotor to the side of the hood.
The brake rotor belongs on the car but not like that, IMHO same with books.

Great job! The cabinets look appropriately proportioned, doors, rails,
stiles. Except for the right side where the right cabinet is blocking
the opening to the other room. IMHO that opening should be made smaller
so that the cabinet dies not appear to block the opening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/18 10:11 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Leon's suggestion is a perfect solution to that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

No, and no.

Hey, as it was it took me 6 months to build this simple project. Imagine if
I had to learn SketchUp first? I ain't getting no younger, ya know. ;-)

Speaking of the window...I'm glad I measured the both sides of the wall
before I started building. That window is not centered. The left side unit
is about 1.5" narrower than the right. That gave me a matching gap between the
window sill and the walls on both sides. Even though there is not a full wall
on the right hand side, there is that short section that hangs from the
ceiling. I matched that gap with the gap at the other wall.

If I ever do build a divider wall there, the gaps will be even all around.

The PITA was that I basically had to make 2 "different" units. Any parts
related to "width" had to be measured, set up and cut separately.

Almost always I draw the room for a piece I am going to build. You get
to see what the results will look like before cutting wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Not an excuse, I'm 64 ;~) Seriously, if you have accurate plans
building goes much much faster. You build it when drawing so actual
building is like doing it the second time.

Speaking of the window...I'm glad I measured the both sides of the wall
before I started building. That window is not centered. The left side unit
is about 1.5" narrower than the right. That gave me a matching gap between the
window sill and the walls on both sides. Even though there is not a full wall
on the right hand side, there is that short section that hangs from the
ceiling. I matched that gap with the gap at the other wall.

If I ever do build a divider wall there, the gaps will be even all around.

The PITA was that I basically had to make 2 "different" units. Any parts
related to "width" had to be measured, set up and cut separately.

In my office I had a similar situation, the 6' wide window was not
centered on the wall. Fortunately the double door entry into the office
was centered.

Almost always I draw the room for a piece I am going to build. You get
to see what the results will look like before cutting wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Great job on the bookcases. Sorry for your loss.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 13:04:27 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Hey, as it was it took me 6 months to build this simple project. Imagine if
I had to learn SketchUp first? I ain't getting no younger, ya know. ;-)

Not an excuse, I'm 64 ;~) Seriously, if you have accurate plans
building goes much much faster. You build it when drawing so actual
building is like doing it the second time.

It that isn't the truth! The "second time" part.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:08:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear about your Dad, and all the extra things involved,
thanks for posting this, it generated some fine comments and thoughts,
so I learned indirectly from it all. While I agree with the comments
after reading them all, I still appreciated the work you put into
these things.

Yes, Paint and all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Did you draw this in Sketchup? And if so did you draw that wall and
window?

Almost always I draw the room for a piece I am going to build. You
get to see what the results will look like before cutting wood.

Have you built up a library of some of your most common components?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 7:45 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Did you draw this in Sketchup? And if so did you draw that wall and
window?

Almost always I draw the room for a piece I am going to build. You
get to see what the results will look like before cutting wood.

Have you built up a library of some of your most common components?

Puckdropper

Actually, yes and no. I have a library of full extension slides that I
downloaded from the warehouse but I seldom use them. It is easier to
simply draw a rectangle with depth to represent the slide.

BUT I did draw one of the steel adjustable feet that I use on almost all
of my cabinets. The bottoms of the cabinets have to be at a certain
height to hide the feet so I use the foot component drawing to double
check fit for the real thing.

And I have the drawer/cabinet pull components that I designed and make
out of wood.

IF I were using the pro version I would be using dynamic components and
I would probably have a larger library.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 12:08 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Looks good. I don't care for open back but your compromise is a good
idea.

We have chairs the same style as yours. Bought them over 40 years ago
as part of a dining set of Bennington Pine. A bit larger they called
them Admiral's chairs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 10:17 AM, Sonny wrote:

Well worth the wait. Better to do it right, than fast.

Sonny

You're just telling me now? No wonder all my projects look like crap.
I'm going to write that down and try it next time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2018 12:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speaking of the window...I'm glad I measured the both sides of the wall
before I started building. That window is not centered. The left side unit
is about 1.5" narrower than the right. That gave me a matching gap between the
window sill and the walls on both sides.

That is a good tip. I was starting a major kitchen remodel on my old
house. The window was a double hung with a row of glass block on either
side. I was putting in a new smaller window. After taking out the old,
I would have centered it and bricked up the sides. Fortunately, my
step-father knew to measure and center it to the room. It was off by an
inch+ and would have played hell with wall cabinets.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 7:49:55 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/24/2018 12:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speaking of the window...I'm glad I measured the both sides of the wall
before I started building. That window is not centered. The left side unit
is about 1.5" narrower than the right. That gave me a matching gap between the
window sill and the walls on both sides.

That is a good tip. I was starting a major kitchen remodel on my old
house. The window was a double hung with a row of glass block on either
side. I was putting in a new smaller window. After taking out the old,
I would have centered it and bricked up the sides. Fortunately, my
step-father knew to measure and center it to the room. It was off by an
inch+ and would have played hell with wall cabinets.

I guess I could have centered the window first, which would have made
building the bookcase units a little easier. ;-)

I once helped a buddy move an interior door about 6". There was a door between
the back porch and his kitchen, real close to the corner of the room. At a
right angle to that doorway was the exterior door for the porch. When you
opened the porch door, it blocked about 6" of the kitchen doorway. It looked
bad and it was really inconvenient.

One night his wife was carrying grocery bags in through the narrowed doorway
and banged her arm. "Dammit. I hate that door!" My buddy didn't say a word.
He just went out into the garage, grabbed a sledge hammer, walked back into
the kitchen, and smashed a hole in the wall. As he was walking out he said
"I'll fix it this weekend".

By the end of the weekend we had moved the door and he was ready to paint.

Finally Rev Share Done Right Rebecca B Home Repair 8 December 16th 12 04:26 PM
Finally got it done jtpr Woodworking 29 October 4th 11 10:59 PM
Got my water line done (finally) Steve Barker[_2_] Home Repair 3 August 18th 07 03:17 PM
Cabinet finally done rthomps9 Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 April 7th 07 12:53 AM
Almost done with my home-made vacuum press. Anyone else done one? Joe Emenaker Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 01:23 AM