Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another task to do

Walked out on the platform on the lake to see how many boards needed
replacing when one corner collapsed. Quite a jolt!

See the image in a.p.b.w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 19:03:49 -0500, swalker wrote:

Walked out on the platform on the lake to see how many boards needed
replacing when one corner collapsed. Quite a jolt!

See the image in a.p.b.w

.... for the few here who pay for binary newsgroups -
perhaps one of them will post it to a public forum
and share the link ..
I haven't had a binary news feed in about 12 years ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Walked out on the platform on the lake to see how many boards needed
replacing when one corner collapsed. Quite a jolt!

See the image in a.p.b.w

... for the few here who pay for binary newsgroups -
perhaps one of them will post it to a public forum
and share the link ..
I haven't had a binary news feed in about 12 years ..
John T.

If that is your correct email you will receive it shortly from
fxxxxxxxpxxxxxxx.......net

I haven't posted my actual email on usenet ..
... in forever.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
wrote:

... for the few here who pay for binary newsgroups -
perhaps one of them will post it to a public forum
and share the link ..

http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/

Just FYI...

There seems to be a bit of a delay in the images working their way onto the delorie site.

I check for swalker's lastest image sometime fairly soon after he posted and the platform
image wasn't there. It is now, but I don't know when it showed up because I hadn't checked
until just a few minutes ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 03:03:49 +0000, Spalted Walt

... for the few here who pay for binary newsgroups -
perhaps one of them will post it to a public forum
and share the link ..

http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/

9 days ago:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....M/LlelbB7ACQAJ

Thanks ! .. back to 2013 - I got some catching-up to do ! :-)
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 10:08:11 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/12/2018 8:44 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 19:03:49 -0500, swalker wrote:

Walked out on the platform on the lake to see how many boards needed
replacing when one corner collapsed. Quite a jolt!

See the image in a.p.b.w

... for the few here who pay for binary newsgroups -
perhaps one of them will post it to a public forum
and share the link ..
I haven't had a binary news feed in about 12 years ..
John T.

Why not get a better source. For 4 dollars you can get enough at
www.blocknews.org to last you a couple of years.

Perhaps you mean www.blocknews.net

blocknews.org is "parked" by GoDaddy:

Is this your domain? Let's turn it into a website!

Would you like to buy this domain?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2018 3:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps you mean www.blocknews.net

Yes. $2.75 for 5 gigs. I've been on it about a year and have used
0.625 GB. Really can't beat it for the low cost and it is more reliable
than eternal-september.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2018 3:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/13/2018 3:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps you mean www.blocknews.net

Yes. $2.75 for 5 gigs. I've been on it about a year and have used
0.625 GB. Really can't beat it for the low cost and it is more reliable
than eternal-september.

Eternal-september is free and I've used it since comcast dumped all
newsgroup support. For binaries I've been using Astraweb since around
2011 for $10 bucks I got 25 gigs and still have 23 gigs left. don't know
anything about blocknews.net but it sounds great for the price,
particularly if you think eternal-september is unreliable. It's been
about problem free for me for going on 10 years.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

The deck (platform) has been deconstructed and removed from the lake.

The deck was 10 X 20 of pressure treated lumber. The deck was tied to
the concrete seawall by a single 2X12 ledger that had 1/2" bolts that
were placed in the concrete when the wall was poured. After 10 years
the bolts were in good shape with no rust apparent.

Although the bolts holding the ledger to the wall were in good shape
the 2X12 PT material was shot. A 3' section in the middle was mostly
missing and the remaining ledger wasn't much better. My best guess is
that 10 years of being tight against the damp concrete and subject to
over 50 inches of rain a year with no way to dry out was more than it
could or should have been expected to endure.

The floor joists were joined to the ledger with clipped 8d ring shank
nails that were toe nailed into the ledger. The nails were badly
deteriorated with most of the rings on the shanks missing. The end of
the joists were rotten. There was no other support for the floor
except for a secondary ledger on the side bands of the platform to
which the floor ends were nailed.

The only good structure were the 3 6X6 PT post that supported the far
side of the deck. The former owner who had the work done said that the
post holes were dug by a track-hoe that was being used to clean out
the lake while it was drained and that each post has a couple of bags
of concrete around them. When we couldn't move the post using a wench
chained to a tree we began to suspect that this was going to be
harder than anticipated. From someone who was around at the time we
learned that the track-hoe took big bites out of the ground, the posts
were set and braced and when the guy pouring the wall came along he
overfilled the holes.

Using a 2 ton come-along, a Kubota tractor and lots of strong language
we managed to get 1 post free of the bottom but were unable to lift it
out of the lake.

Obviously time for substantially heavier equipment.

This deck would make a good example of how not to build a deck.