Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rust on a morse taper

I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

..--. . .-. .... .- .--. ... / ...- .. -. . --. .- .-. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.-
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 19:33:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

.--. . .-. .... .- .--. ... / ...- .. -. . --. .- .-. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.-

That so bad of a visual pun you will be punished, you shall relieve
the titan push the stone ball up hill. ( If I could remember the name
maybe it would work)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

.--. . .-. .... .- .--. ... / ...- .. -. . --. .- .-. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.-

That so bad of a visual pun you will be punished, you shall relieve
the titan push the stone ball up hill. ( If I could remember the name
maybe it would work)

:-)

But did you translate it?

I really was trying to help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message

I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the
old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

My solution to cleaning up all rusty tools is electrolysis... In the past
few years I've "inherited" a bunch of old tools from friends, co-workers and
family. Brands include Starrett, Stanley, Millers Falls, etc. I just kept
putting them in a pile up until about 6 - 8 weeks ago... then I set up my
electrolysis station.

My electrolysis set up is simple, and cheap... I use a plastic waste paper
basket (borrowed from the laundry room), cans for sacrificial anodes (e.g.,
baked bean cans), jumpers, and an inexpensive 3 AMP 12 volt "dumb" power
supply. Most recent battery chargers will not work as they think the
"battery" is bad and shut off... if yours say "automatic," "computerized,"
or something similar it's a smart charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
with these cables
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

In the basket goes water and Arm & Hammer washing soda (in the laundry soap
section at the super market). I use 3M scrub pads and a brass "toothbrush"
to remove the crud.

I remove both ends of the cans, cut them near the label glue line, flatten
them out and put a hem on one end that is used to hang the can over the edge
of the basket. Put the outside of the can towards the middle of the
basket/inside of can towards the side of the basket. I use 2 cans connected
by a jumper... one on the side and one on the end of the basket to increase
the surface area.

The advantage of electrolysis over abrasives is you don't remove good metal.
It is gentle too... laundry soap and water... versus acid (which is part of
most chemical rust removers).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 5:46:00 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

If it's just a little staining, rub with metal polish; I like to keep a few
rags and some Fuller Brush Co polish under the sink. If you can
hold the gizmo in a vise, a string dipped in polish, wrapped around,
is easy to get rounds shiny.

As others have mentioined, perhaps vinegar would work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 17:45:57 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

The best rust remover that I have ever found and used is Evapo-Rust ER004.
This stuff works. It's fast and non-toxic with no bad fumes. In the case of
the taper - wrap it in a paper towel, soak the towel with the remover,
squeeze out any air pockets for good contact and wait about 15 minutes. Wash
the taper off with water and shine it up with scotch-brite - job done.

I buy the 3.5 gallon pail with a screen basket insert, but they sell smaller
quantities. Probably the cheapest place to buy is www.advanceautoparts.com/
although I purchase from Amazon.
--
Jerry O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 9:42:16 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, John! I'd really like to learn to do this someday. I have a few hand planes that I bought for next to nothing. But I just need to get going on turning a couple of things for a project for now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll go buy some today and see how it works. Appreciated!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

.--. . .-. .... .- .--. ... / ...- .. -. . --. .- .-. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.-

That so bad of a visual pun you will be punished, you shall relieve
the titan push the stone ball up hill. ( If I could remember the name
maybe it would work)

:-)

But did you translate it?

I really was trying to help.

I know two letters of morse code, ... (s) --- (o).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

.--. . .-. .... .- .--. ... / ...- .. -. . --. .- .-. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.-

That so bad of a visual pun you will be punished, you shall relieve
the titan push the stone ball up hill. ( If I could remember the name
maybe it would work)

:-)

But did you translate it?

I really was trying to help.

I know two letters of morse code, ... (s) --- (o).

It sucks when the situation is so bad that you don't have time to follow
that with ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching
the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

.--. . .-. .... .- .--. ... / ...- .. -. . --. .- .-. / .-- --- ..-
.-.. -.. / .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.-

PERHAPS VINEGAR WOULD WORK.
--

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

The best rust remover that I have ever found and used is Evapo-Rust ER004.
This stuff works. It's fast and non-toxic with no bad fumes. In the case of
the taper - wrap it in a paper towel, soak the towel with the remover,
squeeze out any air pockets for good contact and wait about 15 minutes. Wash
the taper off with water and shine it up with scotch-brite - job done.

I buy the 3.5 gallon pail with a screen basket insert, but they sell smaller
quantities. Probably the cheapest place to buy is www.advanceautoparts.com/
although I purchase from Amazon.

Interesting. I've always considered removers with phosphoric acid, like
RustFree, to be the most efficient and fastest removers. But phosphoric
acid is corrosive, so a lot more care must be taken.

This Evapo-Rust is non-corrosive and uses a different chemical process
to basically do the same this that phosphoric acid does-- change the
chemical bond of rust to turn into something other than rust.

I will try this product next time I need to do rust removal and see if
it works as well as RustFree.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael writes:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

If it is a light surface rust (i.e. no pitting), some 1000 grit
emory paper is sufficient.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

emory cloth and water then dry completely and do again if needed

then some mineral oil

if it has pits consider a new one

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2018 7:45 PM, Michael wrote:
I decided to change the center on my lathe and (finally) after punching the old one out, I see that there was rust on the connection.

What's the proper method for cleaning rust off a morse taper?

All help much appreciated.

Mike

0000 Steel wool on the male end, and this tool for the female end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcbntC8JJiU

#2 morse taper to 1" - 8 J. Mark Wolf Woodturning 6 December 2nd 04 11:24 AM
FS Morse Taper Drill Drivers MP Toolman Metalworking 0 June 28th 04 03:24 AM
Morse Taper Adapter Issue Lorin Woodturning 3 June 8th 04 05:51 AM
morse taper Allan Adler Metalworking 6 April 30th 04 01:35 AM
2 Morse taper extender to 3 taper, then 1 inch threading die holder Doug Goncz Metalworking 5 October 21st 03 12:00 PM