Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Ron is offline

Default Motorcycle ramp

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...mp-817849-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 11:44:07 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

Use the Load Span tables found here to determine the best type of plywood and
on-center measurements for the supports required to fit your application:

http://www.pacificwoodlaminates.com/...SpanTables.pdf

OTOH, why are you making a ramp from plywood?

You can get a 7.5' folding aluminum ramp rated at 750 lbs for under $60 he

https://www.discountramps.com/motocr...mp/p/AFP-9012/

Probably safer when wet than plywood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/28/2018 11:44 PM, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4
inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer.Â* Will the 3/4 "
plywood
hold the weight?

I wouldn't bet on it, though, is the car hauler a low profile? Then
maybe, but I would consider using 2" x 12" x 8' which you could join
together and apply 1/4" on top, if needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 03:44:04 GMT, Ron
m wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

It really depends on how you support it. Make a full length
wedge-shaped piece to go on each edge (make sure they're all _unde_r
the load-bearing surface--you want them to hold it up) and one in the
middle and if you're not on pavement lay another piece of ply under it
so it doesn't sink into the ground and put in some cross-bracing so it
doesn't collapse sideways and it should be fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/28/2018 10:44 PM, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4
inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer.Â* Will the 3/4 "
plywood
hold the weight?

I would not trust it. FWIW I used to load Harleys in the back of my 79
GMC and used an 8' 2x12. It bowed but never enough to make me feel it
might break. Trucks tail gates were not as tall back then either.

Maybe if you put a couple of cinder blocks under the plywood to limit
the bow, you would likely be OK. It would not have to be a perfect fit,
just close enough to limit the bow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XRvuuC...policy=3&rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPVCY5...policy=3&rel=0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2018 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/28/2018 10:44 PM, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with
3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer.Â* Will the 3/4 "
plywood
hold the weight?

I would not trust it.Â* FWIW I used to load Harleys in the back of my 79
GMC and used an 8' 2x12.Â* It bowed but never enough to make me feel it
might break.Â* Trucks tail gates were not as tall back then either.

Maybe if you put a couple of cinder blocks under the plywood to limit
the bow, you would likely be OK.Â* It would not have to be a perfect fit,
just close enough to limit the bow.

Smart money would go with DerbyDad's suggestion. Reasonably priced and
designed for the job.

If you go with wood and choose to do it right, you'd want some metal
flanges at the end to transition to the car carrier and keep the ramp
from sliding off. (figure $15-$20)

I made some wooden ramps like that for getting a wheel chair into the
house when my late father was confined to one. Kept it as it was quite
handy.

Still use it to occasionally load a riding lawnmower into the back of a
pickup to transport for service, etc.

Made it out of a pair of 2x10's to which I glued and screwed 1x4's to
the outside edge to a) prevent any sag and b) keep the wheels from going
off the edge.

Still like Derby's suggestion best for OP's intended purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/28/2018 11:44 PM, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer.Â* Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to do it yourself. Strong cheap loading ramps
are available at Harbor Freight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/18 8:17 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Ron wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XRvuuC...policy=3&rel=0

This video really illustrates why you want the arched ramps.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XRvuuC...policy=3&rel=0

This video really illustrates why you want the arched ramps.

....We don't need no stinking ramps
https://www.youtube.com/embed/8mG2Ok...toplay=1&rel=0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 8:17:57 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPVCY5...policy=3&rel=0

Beyond the weight bearing amenities of your ramp.....

No matter what ramp you use, always tie, bolt or pin, tightly, the ramp to the vehicle..... to the bumper, to the dedicated tie-down slots, rings, loops, or to whatever.

The guy in the video, at the 1 minute mark, didn't use the ramps' ties/straps, to secure the ramps to the vehicle. These ties keep the back wheel/wheels from ejecting the ramps from under the vehicle/trailer. So many novice bike/4 wheeler/etc. users simply don't think and make this mistake of not securing their ramps to the trailer/vehicle.

At least some of the metal ramps come with ties, for this very purpose, but idiot macho guys don't use them. Better safe, than sorry.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 9:19:04 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 6/29/2018 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/28/2018 10:44 PM, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with
3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer.Â* Will the 3/4 "
plywood
hold the weight?

I would not trust it.Â* FWIW I used to load Harleys in the back of my 79
GMC and used an 8' 2x12.Â* It bowed but never enough to make me feel it
might break.Â* Trucks tail gates were not as tall back then either.

Maybe if you put a couple of cinder blocks under the plywood to limit
the bow, you would likely be OK.Â* It would not have to be a perfect fit,
just close enough to limit the bow.

Smart money would go with DerbyDad's suggestion. Reasonably priced and
designed for the job.

Thanks, but I have to admit that I do have a set of home made ramps that
have worked well.

I took a couple of 2 x 6 PT boards and screwed them to some 4 x 4 PT
fence posts. They ain't bending or breaking under my usage.

The heaviest thing I've loaded with them (and why I built them) is to get
a riding lawn mower into my trailer. Maybe an 18" rise, so it's not hard
to push it up carefully and come back down if we get off center.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2018 9:17 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Ron wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XRvuuC...policy=3&rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPVCY5...policy=3&rel=0

I'm amazed (not really) at the lack of thinking from many of the loaders
in the videos. The last video really stood out where the truck is facing
decline on driveway, which raises the bed of the truck. If people had
sense, they would find a spot where the tail of the truck would be at a
lower point from the ground, such as the end of the driveway.

The OP never stated the height of his car hauling trailer. Many or low
to the ground and this, makes a difference to the type of ramp he can make.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with
3/4 inch plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will
the 3/4 " plywood hold the weight?

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XRvuuCzckJU?

autoplay=1&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPVCY59F1KE?

autoplay=1&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

I'm amazed (not really) at the lack of thinking from many of the loaders
in the videos.

There seems to be a common thread in these episodes: a failure to
understand that maintaining balance on any two-wheeled conveyance
requires significant forward speed.

In some cases, this is replaced by the failure to recognize that the
speed sufficient to get up the ramp while maintaining balance simply
*cannot* be shed in just a couple of feet.

Of course, the folks who had the good sense to walk their bikes up the
ramps didn't have the sort of outcome that would have resulted in being
included in these vids...
Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with 3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will the 3/4 " plywood
hold the weight?

The short answer is no.
The longer answer is depends what else you use to make the ramp, and
the engineering you put into it, and how high it needs to be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with
3/4 inch plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer. Will
the 3/4 " plywood hold the weight?

i'll just leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XRvuuCzckJU?

autoplay=1&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPVCY59F1KE?

autoplay=1&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

I'm amazed (not really) at the lack of thinking from many of the loaders
in the videos.

There seems to be a common thread in these episodes: a failure to
understand that maintaining balance on any two-wheeled conveyance
requires significant forward speed.

I think they *understand* the need for speed (after all, they ride, don't
they?) I think those they fall simply fail to plan ahead and *remember* that
they will have to slow down once they reach the top of the ramp. You covered
those that do remember in your second paragraph ;-)

You can also toss in the use of a narrow ramp, leaving them no place to put a
foot down to hold the bike up once they slow down. Again, failure to plan
for the unexpected.

In some cases, this is replaced by the failure to recognize that the
speed sufficient to get up the ramp while maintaining balance simply
*cannot* be shed in just a couple of feet.

Of course, the folks who had the good sense to walk their bikes up the
ramps didn't have the sort of outcome that would have resulted in being
included in these vids...

Or...

When someone is about to ride a bike up a ramp, it's either going to
turn out pretty cool or pretty bad. There *will* excitement not matter
what the result. That's worth pulling out the recording device for.

However, if a guy is going to walk a bike up a ramp, that's just not worth
recording. I'm sure there are lots of dropped bikes during roll-on attempts
(e.g. operator realizing that they are too short or too weak, failure to
maintain speed, slipping/tipping ramps, etc.) That practice is just not as
widely recorded, other than instructional videos which always tend to turn
out well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Of course, the folks who had the good sense to walk their bikes up the
ramps didn't have the sort of outcome that would have resulted in being
included in these vids...

+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c742Nz_zSY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 14:04:02 +0000, Spalted Walt wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

Of course, the folks who had the good sense to walk their bikes up the
ramps didn't have the sort of outcome that would have resulted in being
included in these vids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c742Nz_zSY

The loading mechanism at 6:58 is pretty slick. No muss, no fuss, just get
the job done.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Of course, the folks who had the good sense to walk their bikes up the
ramps didn't have the sort of outcome that would have resulted in being
included in these vids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c742Nz_zSY

The loading mechanism at 6:58 is pretty slick. No muss, no fuss, just get
the job done.

The mechanism at 0:35 is just as slick and the operator is so, so much cuter.

I don't know for sure, but it's possible that the "cuter" ramp can be used
as a cart to roll the bikes into storage. Those big rubber wheels sure beat
the metal rollers on the 6:58 rig for off-truck transport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

[...]

LOL, Exactly. Cant count the number of times I walked my Harley up the
2x12 into the bed of my PU. Typically my wife was pushing from the rear
also and that also kept the bike steady as I made my jump up into the
bed and steering.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

[...]

Wow! Your wife is in really good shape. How much does she bench
press?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

[...]

Actually back then, early to mid 80's she did weight lifting.