Posted to rec.woodworking

Default You'd Pay $400 For This Table, Wouldn't You?

My daughter is looking at buying this table. The seller wants $400.

It is rock solid, no wobble at all. It appears that the top has been replaced.

37" x 74"

The 3 drawers are all in good shape and slide easily.

The gap between the 2 sections that make up the top are not even but I can
see the plugs that hide the screws. I told my daughter that if she ever wants
to fix the gap, it would be easy to do.

What do you think?

https://i.imgur.com/4cXunvr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DcvlpF8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZcOqAtN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eiu3Sd5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/87sqvUG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/r51qzRl.jpg

This is why I think the top is not original. With the drawer slid out
you can see where the glue blocks appear to have been removed.

https://i.imgur.com/zH3W01x.jpg

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2018 12:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter is looking at buying this table. The seller wants $400.

It is rock solid, no wobble at all. It appears that the top has been replaced.

37" x 74"

The 3 drawers are all in good shape and slide easily.

The top is much newer, yes.

It's worth whatever your daughter thinks it's worth....

If she wants it badly enough to spend (or daddy is willing to indulge
) $400, then it's worth $400. That would be quite good for the seller;
if were to go to auction it probably wouldn't much top $100 I'd guess.

The rest is also pine; question would be whether the intent is to leave
it painted or try to restore to something approximating the original;
fastening a top down thru the top solidly into the rails is
_a_bad_idea_(tm), fortunately either by design or accident the
instigator of that event did leave some gap for movement in the middle
so it hasn't buckled.

If you were to ever fix that, the thing to do is, as you already know,
reinstall the blocks or slot the inner rail for the metal holddown rings.

The leg pockets look sound; it should last indefinitely from that
standpoint...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't pay $400 for it. $400 is too much for that modest rebuild. The top looks like 2X12 scaffold boards and they, as a table top, have damage.. For replacing, you could probably select better looking 2X12s (no knots) or flip those present boards.... the bottom side looks better, from what I can see. However, the knotty and/or abused look (rustic or used farm table), I suppose, is what your daughter wants, and that's what counts.

Though you may already have repair/refinish plans, some thoughts:
A NEW top might not result in the (used) farm table appearance, as the table looks, now.
Replacement 2X12 pine could be faux aged, using a vinegar-steel wool solution. Faux aging beats staining for some projects, especially if the aged/abused/rustic appearance is desired.
If the base color is maintained, maybe paint the drawer trim and handle a gold or bronze accent. The combo colors - dark brown top, grey-green-blue base & gold/bronze trim - might coordinate well. Maybe test the gold/bronze accent on some thin scrap, for viewing that color coordination. Hand painted accent drawer trim, no matter what color, might contribute to a folk art ambiance, more so than the present paint job does.
Rub some candle wax on the drawer runners, even though they are functioning well.
Put a clear coat finish on the drawer insides, if not there, already.

I do like the rustic, farm table appearance of the whole, though, as with lots of my projects. Too bad you didn't live nearby, I have sixteen 1X12X22' really old long leaf pine boards I'd offer, for replacing that top. *For a long time, I've been trying to think of a good deserving project for these boards.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 2:32:09 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 6/23/2018 12:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter is looking at buying this table. The seller wants $400.

It is rock solid, no wobble at all. It appears that the top has been replaced.

37" x 74"

The 3 drawers are all in good shape and slide easily.

The top is much newer, yes.

It's worth whatever your daughter thinks it's worth....

If she wants it badly enough to spend (or daddy is willing to indulge
) $400, then it's worth $400. That would be quite good for the seller;
if were to go to auction it probably wouldn't much top $100 I'd guess.

....and if the seller was giving it away it would be free, but neither
buying it at an auction or getting it via a give-away is an option, so
neither $100 or $0 don't really enter into the decision process. ;-)

The rest is also pine; question would be whether the intent is to leave
it painted or try to restore to something approximating the original;

Most likely not. The table is actually her roommate's, who is moving out
of the apartment and doesn't really have room for it where she will be
for the next 2 years. That gives my daughter some negotiating power, although
it's not a given that the seller won't get someone else to buy. The advantage
for my daughter is that is already in *her* dining room and doesn't have
to be moved. She likes it just the way (and where) it is. She's into rustic,
as you can tell by the bed that she asked me to build for her. She sent me
this picture...

https://i.imgur.com/lVY9OQQ.jpg

....and ended up with this:

https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

fastening a top down thru the top solidly into the rails is
_a_bad_idea_(tm), fortunately either by design or accident the
instigator of that event did leave some gap for movement in the middle
so it hasn't buckled.

If you were to ever fix that, the thing to do is, as you already know,
reinstall the blocks or slot the inner rail for the metal holddown rings.

The leg pockets look sound; it should last indefinitely from that
standpoint...

I agree with that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 17:56:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 2:32:09 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 6/23/2018 12:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter is looking at buying this table. The seller wants $400.

It is rock solid, no wobble at all. It appears that the top has been replaced.

37" x 74"

The 3 drawers are all in good shape and slide easily.

The top is much newer, yes.

It's worth whatever your daughter thinks it's worth....

If she wants it badly enough to spend (or daddy is willing to indulge
) $400, then it's worth $400. That would be quite good for the seller;
if were to go to auction it probably wouldn't much top $100 I'd guess.

...and if the seller was giving it away it would be free, but neither
buying it at an auction or getting it via a give-away is an option, so
neither $100 or $0 don't really enter into the decision process. ;-)

Actually, it does. If you think it's worth $0 or even $100 and the
seller thinks it's worth $400, the answer is "No Sale" ($0).

The rest is also pine; question would be whether the intent is to leave
it painted or try to restore to something approximating the original;

Most likely not. The table is actually her roommate's, who is moving out
of the apartment and doesn't really have room for it where she will be
for the next 2 years. That gives my daughter some negotiating power, although
it's not a given that the seller won't get someone else to buy. The advantage
for my daughter is that is already in *her* dining room and doesn't have
to be moved. She likes it just the way (and where) it is. She's into rustic,
as you can tell by the bed that she asked me to build for her. She sent me
this picture...

https://i.imgur.com/lVY9OQQ.jpg

...and ended up with this:

https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg

That's beautiful (the table isn't my cup-o-tea).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I meant in *this* case it doesn't enter into it because we both (especially
her) think it's worth more than that "auction price".

The fact that she not only likes the table (after using it for 2 years)
but it is also in place, which means no shopping, no moving anything, no
change. Those thing alone are probably worth those 3 digits.

The rest is also pine; question would be whether the intent is to leave
it painted or try to restore to something approximating the original;

Most likely not. The table is actually her roommate's, who is moving out
of the apartment and doesn't really have room for it where she will be
for the next 2 years. That gives my daughter some negotiating power, although
it's not a given that the seller won't get someone else to buy. The advantage
for my daughter is that is already in *her* dining room and doesn't have
to be moved. She likes it just the way (and where) it is. She's into rustic,
as you can tell by the bed that she asked me to build for her. She sent me
this picture...

https://i.imgur.com/lVY9OQQ.jpg

...and ended up with this:

https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg

That's beautiful

Thanks!

(the table isn't my cup-o-tea).

No problem there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2018 1:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter is looking at buying this table. The seller wants $400.

It is rock solid, no wobble at all. It appears that the top has been replaced.

37" x 74"

The 3 drawers are all in good shape and slide easily.

The gap between the 2 sections that make up the top are not even but I can
see the plugs that hide the screws. I told my daughter that if she ever wants
to fix the gap, it would be easy to do.

What do you think?

Depends on how much she likes it and the style. It would not look so
good in my house and would not consider it for free in my new house.

The legs are worth quite a bit though, you won't find anything like that
for cheap.

I have a hard time putting a value on things like that. In the past new
weeks I've given away probably thousands of dollars in furniture,
appliances, accessories just so I don't have to move them.

Since she is moving out, I'd let the roommate try to sell it. My guess
is she won't get near the $400 asking, then offer her half that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2018 7:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I recall the bed; the conditions surrounding the table alter "open
market" dynamics entirely; you're willing to essentially make a donation
to the roommate owing to the existing relationship and call it a
purchase...that's fine, nothing at all wrong with it...and we all
sometimes need to justify what we know isn't really a _totally_ rational
purchase!

So, sure, give the (soon to be former) roomie the $400 and you'll have
done a good turn and your daughter will enjoy having the table and the
remembrances that go with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 10:30:15 wrote:

My daughter is looking at buying this table. The seller wants $400.

what does the seller accept

that is the thing to know

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 12:00:05 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 10:30:15 wrote:

My daughter is looking at buying this table. The seller wants $400.

what does the seller accept

that is the thing to know

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Yes I would buy it! People sell furniture like this all the time and
way under priced. Gotta make room for the new furniture kit from Ikea!