Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rigid lifetime warranty home depot problems

replying to jack smith, Marty wrote:
After you purchase the item, make a photo copy. Regular home/office printers
normally do not use heat (thermo-copy) to make copies. No home printer? Go to
the local library, Office Max/Depot etc.
Copied receipts do not fade while in a file or attached to your owners manual
even if you keep it in the garage.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ms-225010-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 10:14:05 PM UTC-4, Marty wrote:
replying to jack smith, Marty wrote:
After you purchase the item, make a photo copy. Regular home/office printers
normally do not use heat (thermo-copy) to make copies. No home printer? Go to
the local library, Office Max/Depot etc.
Copied receipts do not fade while in a file or attached to your owners manual
even if you keep it in the garage.

A timeless suggestion, which is a good thing considering that this thread is
over 14 years old.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 9:52:42 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 10:14:05 PM UTC-4, Marty wrote:
replying to jack smith, Marty wrote:
After you purchase the item, make a photo copy. Regular home/office printers
normally do not use heat (thermo-copy) to make copies. No home printer? Go to
the local library, Office Max/Depot etc.
Copied receipts do not fade while in a file or attached to your owners manual
even if you keep it in the garage.

A timeless suggestion, which is a good thing considering that this thread is
over 14 years old.

Sometimes inexperience and ignorance go hand in hand. I shake my head in disbelief remembering at how some people thought a dastardly scheme had been perpetrated by big business with their disappearing ink. I used to think.... "am I the only one that //owns// a fax machine?" Really? Am I the only one that has seen all images disappear from thermal paper in an afternoon in my hot truck? Seemed so at the time. I laughed my ass off at the conspiracy theory guys that professed from their bar stool throne that the lifetime warranty was nothing but a scam by big business.

They still use thermal paper in their receipt generation, as does EVERYONE else these days. Find a real, printed receipt on paper generated from an ink printer. Not even the little businesses have those.

HD had a few problems with their lifetime warranty registrations, but in my experience they always have said to make a copy of your receipt and keep it in a safe place. Likewise (having just registered more tools) they have a suggestion when you received conformation of registration that you print the conformation page and save that, too.

You can also go to their website any time and check your registrations (I have about 16 tools registered) and if you want, print their page from their website with all your information.

I have used the Ridgid warranty program 3 times, including once to replace batteries. The battery problem was easy to solve; I called Ridgid and told them the batteries wouldn't hold a charge. The looked up my account, and the lady on the other end started laughing while I told her the symptoms. She said, "well, I guess you got good service out of them. They're over 8 years old!". She sent me two new batteries and I had them in about 10 days.

I have called them when I couldn't get the registration to work right, and found out that I was reading the sticker on the tool incorrectly. I can't remember which it is, they don't use a "0" or an "o" (zero or o ) or the other way around to keep from having typos. Cleared it up on the phone and my registration verification was sent to me in about 10 - 12 days.

It is meticulous to have to register every single piece of a combo kit, but you only do it once. Their side of the story is that people try to register just a tool, and not its batteries. Or the tool and the batteries, but not the charger. Or they wait past the 90 days window of registration because they "meant to" do it. Or they get the information on the receipt wrong, which that information is more important than the serial numbers on the tools. When I lost my receipt from a recent purchase I just went to the email account I set up to get email receipts for my company purchases, and pulled it up and registered it from the pdf I downloaded.

Doesn't seem to me that they are trying hard to get out of the whole warranty issue. On my side, I will say that I bought two of their 5" ROS to sand down a mile or two of awful fascia. I bought them about 20 years ago based on price, not on warranty or performance. I listened to the group here and my boys as well and didn't register them, so no protection as I felt like they warranty would never be honored. So when the velcro sanding pads wear out and fall off, I have to buy them online for about $13 plus delivery. My amigo that bought one at the same time registered his, and about every 3-5 years he calls Ridgid as needed, and they simply send him a new one. Lesson learned.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 3:10:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Another option is to scan documents and create pdf's. These can printed, emailed to oneself,
stored in the cloud, on a cd, thumb drive, etc. A combination of methods pretty much ensures
that the information will be available when needed.

Yes, technologies change, but they also overlap, so even if you have to transfer the docs from
one type of media to another at some point, you'll be able to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 6:05:14 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I understand why Home Depot and everyone else does their warranties and registrations the way they do. But I still like the simple and easy Sears Craftsman method. Bring your Craftsman tool back to Sears and get a new one. You brought it in, therefore you own it and its yours and you have 100% right to the lifetime warranty. No messing around with registering your tool, keeping file cabinets or computer discs filled with serial numbers and receipts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 7:14:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Apples and forklifts.

Have you tried that with anything other than a Craftsman screwdriver or
hammer, such as a power tool? For Husky hand tools, Home Depot does the same
thing as Sears. There's no registration and no receipt required.

"If your Husky hand tool ever fails, bring it back and we will replace it
free."

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...b87722274f.pdf

On the flip side, Craftsman doesn't even guarantee their power tools for
life, so there is no comparison to be made there.

IOW, Home Depot wins:

1 - Same process for Husky hand tools as Craftsman
2 - Life guarantee on Rigid power tools, even if the customer has to
do a little work.

True Story:

I had a Husky labeled torque wrench that went bad. When I tried to exchange
it at a local store, HD no longer carried that model and the store is only
allowed to do a "same item swap". The CSR suggested that I call Husky.

When I called Husky, they said that they no longer carry that tool. 3/8" drive
with in-lb increments. In fact, they didn't supply HD with *any* in-lb
torque wrenches, only ft-lb. They suggested I call Home Depot customer service.

I called HD and the CSR located a 1/4" drive in-lb wrench by a different
manufacturer for $40. "If you'd like, I can send you check for $40 and you
can go buy the other wrench." I said OK.

Sure, I lost the lifetime warranty on the replacement tool, but HD did their
best to honor their commitment, so I was satisfied.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

BTW I'm pretty sure that "You brought it in, therefore you own it" would
not hold up in court.

Possession doesn't not equate to ownership.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 7:35:19 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On the flip side, Craftsman doesn't even guarantee their power tools for
life, so there is no comparison to be made there.

Back in the 70s when I was framing houses, I found that out. I bought a few of the Craftsman line of circular saws intending to use their guarantee, and I did just that. Amazingly, their saws would last about 4 months or so on the job, which was pretty damn good. And at that time, they did indeed honor the lifetime commitment on power tools as well.

But after seeing me in there so many times with worn out saws, the "tool corral manager" (yes, a real title!) took me aside and ask me what I was doing to wear out the saws so quick since he was seeing me about every 6 weeks. I told him what I was using them professionally, and he agreed that it didn't void the warranty. However, with any of the power tools, it was the discretion of the store and the tool corral manager to replace after the first replacement. Non corded tools, use them up and bring in the remains, no problem. Corded, store discretion.

Who knew?

I could have taken the tools to the other Sears store (remember, no computers to track) and fudged my way through, but I figured I had outgrown their tools anyway. It wasn't but a few years later that the "tool corral manager" told me they quit honoring the lifetime warranty on their power tools, period. It was a combination of things; first, they were losing their market and had cheapened the build quality of their tools to the point they had enough trouble honoring a one year warranty, and second, too many people had brought in their tools for replacement. Back then, all you needed to do was bring the receipt for the power tools, but all you had to do was bring the non corded tools in.

I am with you on the Ridgid warranty. I like it. Used it with success, so I keep investing in their tools if they have what I want.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2018 6:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

Apples, Oranges Craftsman never did that with power tools, and that is
what we are talking about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2018 7:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If helped if the tool appeared to be worn. If brand new they would be
skeptical that you picked one up off the shelf and exchanged for an
identical new on, in a bag.