Posted to rec.woodworking

Default If it slips, where's it gonna go?

http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2018 5:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................
If the electricity goes off........................
If the house is on fire........................
If the car starts to slide........................
If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2018 4:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

Line of fire.....I have use a TS for so long just about any where on the
front side of the saw is in the line of fire.

BTW just how tall are you? LOL. The last time I had a close encounter
I got hit about 2" above the belt, and I am 6' tall. On another
occasion I got hit in the chest and the fence was between me and the
work being cut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2018 7:51 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................
If the electricity goes off........................
If the house is on fire........................
If the car starts to slide........................
If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

If the condom breaks..........................
If the husband comes home.......................
If your mother walks into the room.....................
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 4:23:38 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

Great thought. I try to keep that kind of thing in mind. What can go wrong here? Where can I get injured here? But I like the question, if the tool slips, where is it going to go?

On a related note, last week, a piece of cedar flew back from my table saw and hit my safety glasses so hard I thought it broke them. I'm glad I wasn't lazy and wearing regular glasses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................
If the electricity goes off........................
If the house is on fire........................
If the car starts to slide........................
If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

If I get out of bed in the morning I might fall and break a hip..........

F orget
E verything
A nd
R un

Life can be an incredible journey if you have the courage to live it
without a head full of crippling fear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

If the condom breaks..........................

If it slips, where's it gonna go?

If the husband comes home.......................

If he slips, where's he gonna go?

If your mother walks into the room.....................

She's not gonna slip, she'll probably flip!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:23:34 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go?

Ever since I got this scar (points to inside of left thumb) that
thought has not been far from my mind.

If I have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:23:34 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go?

Ever since I got this scar (points to inside of left thumb) that
thought has not been far from my mind.

If I have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

Scars are a good reminder to be safe.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 7:52:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On 6/12/2018 5:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................
If the electricity goes off........................
If the house is on fire........................
If the car starts to slide........................
If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

Good luck with #5.

For the most part, Items 1-4 are under your control and you get to decide
what to do. With #5, you have no idea what the other driver is going to do
once you make your decision as to how to avoid the collision. Will they go
back where they belong right away but after you've made a move to avoid
them? Will they keep drifting onto your side of the road, forcing you to go
right, right, right until you are in the ditch? What will they do, what you
will do, and how fast will this all happen at possibly 65 MPH?

There was a head-on collision near me this weekend but no one knows exactly
what happened because both drivers are still in a coma. The 3rd person is
dead.

All they know are these 2 things:

1 - The sedan with the passenger in it crossed the center line first.
2 - The oncoming SUV was straddling the center line when it tore through
the *passenger* side of the sedan, killing the passenger.

As of now, they don't know why the driver of the SUV went left, instead of
right. Did she see the at-fault driver going farther to her own left to avoid the SUV? Was there no other place for the SUV to go (somebody on the SUV's right?) Was it just a bad decision?

My point is that there are some situations where you can plan all you want
but if you are not the only human involved, parts of that plan may go awry.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 07:51:56 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 6/12/2018 5:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................
If the electricity goes off........................
If the house is on fire........................
If the car starts to slide........................
If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

Used that last one today. Unmarked police car, no lights, just siren,
pulls around a car in the oncoming lane and expects everybody to get
out of his way. Fortunately there was a place to go.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2018 7:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The point of number 5 was you should always be considering your options.
Yes as the collision is unfolding things will be changing.

However as you are driving you should always be aware of the berm, etc
of the road you are driving. Is it a solid rock wall as on some
mountain roads; Is it a drop off of several dozen feet; or is it a field
you could go into to avoid the head on. Also you should always keep
track of the cars on both sides and behind you. In a developing head
on, it would be to your advantage to know where those cars was.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I pay special attention to police cars. Yes they are emergency vehicle

and you must obey the regulations about emergency vehicles.

However; sometimes they get so caught up in the activities they are
engaging in, they forget other cars and their actions can actually cause
wrecks.

Two examples: I have a 21' sailboat that I trailer. One afternoon I was
coming home from the lake at the speed limit on a two lane road. Out of
nowhere a police car appeared behind me, and quickly passed me. As soon
as he was back in my lane, he immediately put on his brakes and started
to turned left. This left me looking for a way to avoid hitting him in
the rear, fortunately I missed him. If I had not, it would have been my
fault if I hit him in the rear, but I was a large vehicle with a longer
stopping distance so it gave me several very uncomfortable milliseconds.

I don't know how many times I have seen them stop a car and create a
traffic hazard. There were several time the police stopped cars on
86th street in Indianapolis. Since there was no place to get off the
road used, the right lane to write the ticket. I have seen accidents
around these stopped cars as the traffic tries to avoid the hazard.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:23:34 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

That's pure gold, Puckdropper; thanks!

Cheers,
Colin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 8:20:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

That sounds an awful lot like every day driving. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:23:34 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go?

I find myself asking that question alot with phillips-head screw
drivers..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Colin Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:23:34 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time
I'm doing something that involves applying force, I take a second
and ask myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going
to go?

I find myself asking that question alot with phillips-head screw
drivers..

Why are your Phillips head screw drivers slipping?

Be absolutely certain you're using the right size Phillips screw driver.
#2 is the most common size with #1 being the second most common. If
you put a screw driver in a screw head and it moves side to side easily,
you're using a screw driver that's too small.

Phillips screwdrivers also work best with force applied along the
turning axis. Push in as you rotate the screw.

Puckdropper

#2 is the most common size with #1 being the second most common. If
you put a screw driver in a screw head and it moves side to side easily,
you're using a screw driver that's too small.

Phillips screwdrivers also work best with force applied along the
turning axis. Push in as you rotate the screw.

Puckdropper

Just use Torx heads.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

#2 is the most common size with #1 being the second most common. If
you put a screw driver in a screw head and it moves side to side easily,
you're using a screw driver that's too small.

Phillips screwdrivers also work best with force applied along the
turning axis. Push in as you rotate the screw.

Puckdropper

Or the screw has a brass head and is worn out to begin with... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2018 7:51 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................

Chain mesh gloves.

If the electricity goes off........................

Battery powered head lamp.

If the house is on fire........................

Flame retardant suit

If the car starts to slide........................

NASCAR crash helmet, seat restraints and steel crash cage.

If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

Premade funeral urn.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:55:39
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Puckdropper on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:23:34 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go?

Ever since I got this scar (points to inside of left thumb) that
thought has not been far from my mind.

If I have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

Scars are a good reminder to be safe.

As a friend says "Experience is what tells you 'This is going to
hurt - a lot!'" or "Now is the time to flinch!"

Sigh. You see a bunch of guys standing round talking, and one is
gesturing and the others have their hands tucked in their armpits or
pockets - and it is not cold out - you know that story is going to end
" and then he pulled back what was left..."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:c_SdnRzanKyeirzGnZ2dnUU7-
:

Or the screw has a brass head and is worn out to begin with... ;~)

Just use the trash can. It's not worth keeping bad screws.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news

Just use Torx heads.

Does anyone make pocket screws with Torx heads? I use a square driver for
those, as it's not quite as bad as Phillips but it's still awful.

Special snowflake (combo) heads should be banned.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/18 2:38 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news

Just use Torx heads.

Does anyone make pocket screws with Torx heads? I use a square driver for
those, as it's not quite as bad as Phillips but it's still awful.

Special snowflake (combo) heads should be banned.

Puckdropper

I don't know, but that would be nice.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/18 3:19 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/13/18 2:38 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news

Just use Torx heads.

Does anyone make pocket screws with Torx heads?Â* I use a square driver
for
those, as it's not quite as bad as Phillips but it's still awful.

Special snowflake (combo) heads should be banned.

Puckdropper

I don't know, but that would be nice.

Well, well...
https://woodworker.com/7-x-1-1-4-sta...u-154-400.asp?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news
On 6/13/18 3:19 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/13/18 2:38 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in
news

Just use Torx heads.

Does anyone make pocket screws with Torx heads?Â* I use a square
driver for
those, as it's not quite as bad as Phillips but it's still awful.

Special snowflake (combo) heads should be banned.

Puckdropper

I don't know, but that would be nice.

Well, well...
https://woodworker.com/7-x-1-1-4-sta...t20-mssu-154-4
00.asp?

I know what I'm going to order when this batch runs out! Thanks!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/18 3:39 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news
On 6/13/18 3:19 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/13/18 2:38 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in
news

Just use Torx heads.

Does anyone make pocket screws with Torx heads?ÂÂ* I use a square
driver for
those, as it's not quite as bad as Phillips but it's still awful.

Special snowflake (combo) heads should be banned.

Puckdropper

I don't know, but that would be nice.

Well, well...
https://woodworker.com/7-x-1-1-4-sta...t20-mssu-154-4
00.asp?

I know what I'm going to order when this batch runs out! Thanks!

Puckdropper

Google it... there are other suppliers.
I have a TON of pocket hole screws left, but I'll look fort these when I
run out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/2018 2:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:c_SdnRzanKyeirzGnZ2dnUU7-
:

Or the screw has a brass head and is worn out to begin with... ;~)

Just use the trash can. It's not worth keeping bad screws.

But you have to remove the screw first.....

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/2018 8:06 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:4oOdnW75QuaQCrzGnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 6/13/2018 2:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:c_SdnRzanKyeirzGnZ2dnUU7-
:

Or the screw has a brass head and is worn out to begin with... ;~)

Just use the trash can. It's not worth keeping bad screws.

But you have to remove the screw first.....

I've done that one. I used every screw removal trick I know and invented
a new one. It was on my RAS. It was a flat head set screw, so there was
no way to get a tool other than a screw driver in. I had a good fit with
the screwdriver, but the screw wouldn't come out and wound up messing up
the head. So, I tried the left-handed drill bits, but the screw was
still stuck.

If you used the right sized screwdriver in the first place.... ;~)

You know there are some screws, especially the ones from those Asian
countries, that look like they were old and used screws when the machine
was built.

So I drilled out the bulk of it, carefully selecting a size that would
leave the female threads intact. Next came a series of very careful
turns with a tap and poking a wire in there to loosen up any threads that
were knocked loose by the tap.

Success! Got the screw freed from the threads and put into the trash can
where it belongs. Made a new set screw (I could have ordered one, but I
had all the parts--why wait?) and got on with adjusting my saw.

Puckdropper