Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Slightly OT - This Building Offends My Senses

During my weekend travels, I was eating at a luxurious sidewalk cafe, also
known as the Two Rivers Burrito Co., a taco joint in Westfield, MA. As I
enjoyed my gourmet meal, I looked across the street at the City Hotel.

At first glance I simply said "That's an ugly building". After a very
short time I realize why it was so visually unpleasing.

The tree partially blocks the building but if you look closely you'll see
that the third floor windows have no alignment with the second floor windows,
plus none of the windows on either floor are spaced in any kind of symmetrical
manner in relation to each other . The rectangles near the top (old windows
or vents perhaps?) also don't line up nicely with anything below them.

Aside from strange layout of the windows in relation to each other, both
set of windows are shifted to one side of building, touching the trim on
one side, with a 6'-8' gap on the other.

https://i.imgur.com/28zvdCM.jpg

You should be able to walk around via this Google Map link. (the taco joint
is directly behind you)

https://tinyurl.com/city-hotel-ma

I wonder if the building was renovated on the inside for a maximum/better
room layout and they let the exterior be damned, ending up however it had
to based on the interior. I almost tossed my tacos just looking at it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2018 7:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It certainly is one, fugly building. Too bad that we can't take a
stroll around back to see what that looks like.

Considering the three different entrance styles exhibited, I'm wondering
if the building is actually comprised of three individual buildings that
were eventually joined together by a unifying redo of the facade.

To me, that's about the only answer that makes any sense. Why they
would do it shall remain forevermore a mystery. As great a mystery as
the f**ked up layout of the windows.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 19:12:42 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

I don't think so. The floors look perfectly aligned. I wouldn't
expect three buildings to be aligned that well. The buildings around
it aren't. Also, if you go down the street (to the right), you can
see that the odd window spacing goes down the side of the building, as
well. It looks like the third floor was added. Maybe apartments were
added to the top floor of the commercial building for income. Perhaps
the windows were put where they made "sense" for the interior, without
considering the exterior looks.

To me, that's about the only answer that makes any sense. Why they
would do it shall remain forevermore a mystery. As great a mystery as
the f**ked up layout of the windows.

It really is fugly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 8:12:44 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
[...]

This view, along the side of the building, shows a similar spacing issue
with the windows. I still leaning toward interior renovation with businesses
on the first floor and rooms/apartments on the top floors.

https://tinyurl.com/city-hotel-ma-side

The only info I can find is related to the bar on the first floor. I'm
betting on low rent apartments upstairs. The city of Westfield seems to be
a mix of very nice businesses and homes alongside very run down businesses
and homes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 17:01:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Butt ugly - but Ill bet there used to be another building to the
left, attached to it - that made it more symetrical

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If so, looks like 2 or 3 windows were filled in when the facade was
unified.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2018 8:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
During my weekend travels, I was eating at a luxurious sidewalk cafe, also
known as the Two Rivers Burrito Co., a taco joint in Westfield, MA. As I
enjoyed my gourmet meal, I looked across the street at the City Hotel.

At first glance I simply said "That's an ugly building". After a very
short time I realize why it was so visually unpleasing.

The tree partially blocks the building

The tree could use a trimming too. Both are ugly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2018 7:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

[snip]

This view, along the side of the building, shows a similar spacing issue
with the windows. I still leaning toward interior renovation with businesses
on the first floor and rooms/apartments on the top floors.

https://tinyurl.com/city-hotel-ma-side

The only info I can find is related to the bar on the first floor. I'm
betting on low rent apartments upstairs. The city of Westfield seems to be
a mix of very nice businesses and homes alongside very run down businesses
and homes.

Yeah, I took a look at that and also did what I should have done before
opining the three building routine. I took a close look at the overhead
satellite view of the building. Appears to be just the one building.
Also was able to grab an oblique view of the back in "bird's eye view"

I think that we can safely assuming it is one f**king ugly building and
that's about all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2018 8:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2018 8:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
During my weekend travels, I was eating at a luxurious sidewalk cafe,
also
known as the Two Rivers Burrito Co., a taco joint in Westfield, MA. As I
enjoyed my gourmet meal, I looked across the street at the City Hotel.

At first glance I simply said "That's an ugly building". After a very
short time I realize why it was so visually unpleasing.

The tree partially blocks the building

The tree could use a trimming too.Â* Both are ugly

Ed, the city placed that tree there and spent a ton of money watering it
and fertilizing it in an attempt to beautify the downtown area. Didn't
work as we can still see the hotel!

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You need to get a hold of those responsible and ask why you were not
consulted before the building process. ;~) I'm on a long list myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

It's a government building, probably designed by a committee.

What did you expect?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/18 7:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Nobody cares about style, proportion, scale, or symmetry anymore because
basically, no one hires architects anymore. Once general contractors
got their own PCs with home design software, well, "Why do we need to
pay that snobby guy in the suit anymore and put up with his bitching
about us staying on the plans?"

I think that alone is to blame for the loss of all semblance of style,
beauty, character, and most certainly, art in the majority of homes
built this century.

This architect has a great blog about the rise of McMansions and fall of
architectural style in the suburban sprawl of America. He even has a
post dedicated to the county I live in.

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/148605513816/mcmansions-101-what-makes-a-mcmansion-bad

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/11/2018 11:50 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
[...]

;-)

It's a government building, probably designed by a committee.

What did you expect?

My bad - it's a hotel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

because basically, no one hires architects anymore.Â* Once general
contractors got their own PCs with home design software, well,
"Why do we need to pay that snobby guy in the suit anymore and
put up with his bitching about us staying on the plans?"

I think that alone is to blame for the loss of all semblance of
style, beauty, character, and most certainly, art in the majority
of homes built this century.

This architect has a great blog about the rise of McMansions and
fall of architectural style in the suburban sprawl of America.
He even has a post dedicated to the county I live in.

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/148605513816/mcmansions-101-what-makes-a-mcmansion-bad

That was interesting. Engineering and industrialization have also
been enemies of style. Consider a common chair.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 2:34:21 PM UTC-4, Larry Kraus wrote:
[...]

Actually, it's not a hotel anymore. I just called and got some info,
but not enough. The person who answered did not know much more history
than the following:

The "City Hotel" is the name of the bar on the first floor.

The building has been in the same family since 1912. It used to be a fancy
restaurant and hotel, but now it's a bar downstairs and monthly rentals
upstairs. She called them "rooms" and said that there were "4 guys renting
them". Based on the size of the building, that sounds more like 4 apartments
than "rooms" but it was tough to get much more out of her. I got the
impression that she may have been a patron, not an employee.

I mentioned the exterior and asked if perhaps it had been renovated to look
like it does now but she had no idea. I may called the city tomorrow and
see if I can get anything out of them.

Based on the little info that I got - used to be a hotel and now it's
monthly rentals - I'm sticking with my original assumption: They renovated
the interior to turn it into income property and let the exterior be damned.
I seriously doubt that they are commanding high rents.

The address of the City Hotel is 43 Elm St. This document lists that address
as nothing more than a "commercial block" but it appears to have a "MA
Historical Commission Designation". Maybe I should call them.

https://www.cityofwestfield.org/Docu...ies-List-09-15

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From your pic versus google's, someone fixed up and repainted the
outside, looks a lot better than it did.

While it is just a mundane, but functional bldg, I just take it for
what it is. Looks like the bottom store was converted to another
apartment rental. My 2 cents.