Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pipe pipe clamp rack

not just for pipe clamps

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/pipe-clamp-rack/

he puts end caps on the pipe to protect the threads from something

but to me it is somehwat of a fail

over engineered and it is not made of wood

a few scraps and the same solution could be made

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 13:26:01 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

not just for pipe clamps

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/pipe-clamp-rack/

he puts end caps on the pipe to protect the threads from something

but to me it is somehwat of a fail

over engineered and it is not made of wood

a few scraps and the same solution could be made

I certainly wouldn't want them coming down on my head. This might
work if all the clamps are the same size but then it takes a lot of
space to store them all. I prefer something like this mounted to the
wall.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...lel-clamp-rack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 3:26:05 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
not just for pipe clamps

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/pipe-clamp-rack/

he puts end caps on the pipe to protect the threads from something

End caps are to prevent the pipes from sliding off the ends. End caps stick up about 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

but to me it is somehwat of a fail

over engineered and it is not made of wood

Over engineered to screw some flanges to the floor beams and screw some pipes into the flanges? Seems very simple and easy to me. All of your woodworking machines are made of metal. Are you a worthless loser of a woodworker because of it? The clamps aren't wood either. Metal clamps should be stored on metal pipes.

a few scraps and the same solution could be made

I don't like it because the clamps aren't easily available. They are up high. Hard to reach. And getting some of the inside ones is not easy. Do you have to remove all the outside ones to get the ones on the inside? Or monkey around and try to knock the one interior clamp up 6 inches to try to get it out? Just not as easy as having them all in a line leaning against a wall.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 12:21:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I dunno about him, but I can touch the overhead subfloor in my
basement while standing flatfooted, so this is a non-issue. And if
all the clamps stored on a given rack are the same, why do you need to
get the inner one first?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have 9' ceilings. So you're going to build a separate hanger for
each length? That works but it takes a lot more beams. I'm not sure
about putting a lot (any, in my case) torque on the (engineered)
joists. I much prefer wall hangers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Some of my rectangular heat ducts run perpendicular, and therefore below, my basement joists.
2 side by side ducts give me about 3.5' of flat surface. I store some of my longer clamps on top
of the duct work, in the joist bays. I can reach them with ease and they come out individually.

My 12" to 36" clamps hang on wall hangers in the shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Lets pretend you have four each of 50", 40" and 24" Bessy clamps. Twelve clamps. You put in four or five of these pipes about one foot apart. The 50" clamps span the whole 5 pipe length. The 40" clamps span only 4 of the pipes. The 24" clamps span 3 of the pipes. To get the 50" or 40" clamps you will have to lift them out of the middle. Or as you say, put up separate pipes for each length of clamps. Probably a lot of people on this site have clamps of 6 feet all the way down to 1 foot. So you have six different sets of pipes on beams in the basement. Might run out of linear space for all the pipes since you cannot put different length clamps on the same set of pipes. I can touch the beam standing on my basement floor. Not the subfloor. Subfloor is almost 8 feet high in my basement. I live in the Midwest where we build basements a full height. 8 feet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2018 2:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't like it because the clamp yo always want will be mixed somewhere
the outer most clamp.

My Set up. Dense and no clamps blocking any other clamps.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/18 9:10 AM, Leon wrote:
My Set up.Â* Dense and no clamps blocking any other clamps.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I like the way the shorter clamps stack under the longer ones, between
the bars.
I'm stealing that idea.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2018 9:16 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/4/18 9:10 AM, Leon wrote:
My Set up.Â* Dense and no clamps blocking any other clamps.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I like the way the shorter clamps stack under the longer ones, between
the bars.
I'm stealing that idea.

FWIW the clamps are tilted back slightly, when hanging, to insure they
do not get bumped and fall off. I'm certain there would be other ways
to guard against that if mounted directly to a vertical wall. This set
up is on a mobile clamp cart.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 10:10:32 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/3/2018 2:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

Did you use Dominoes to attach the blocks? ;-)

My wall mounted rack is similar to yours, except that I cut "teeth" into
a long board instead of attaching individual blocks.

https://i.imgur.com/yWWd3U3.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Seems like a lot of weight on the ducts but if it works...

My joists are manufactured I-Beams (2x3s top and bottom of OSB
panels), so they aren't much good for hanging anything. All walls are
2x6, so work out much better.

My 12" to 36" clamps hang on wall hangers in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Heavy duty 1950's ductwork. Plenty strong enough.