DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   center finder (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/612098-re-center-finder.html)

Electric Comet June 1st 18 07:14 PM

center finder

On Wed, 23 May 2018 09:57:54 wrote:

I made one for my lathe 40+ years ago. Simple to make, simple to use.
Finds the center of squares, not squares and round.

gives me an idea
one side for round stock and flip it over for square

but usually square is not a problem however multipurpose tools are
best even if they see minimal use

Jack June 2nd 18 02:18 PM

center finder

On 6/1/2018 2:14 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2018 09:57:54 wrote:

I made one for my lathe 40+ years ago. Simple to make, simple to use.
Finds the center of squares, not squares and round.

gives me an idea
one side for round stock and flip it over for square

I said that poorly. The one Pictured works for Squares, Not squares,
and rounds and not rounds. In other words, it finds the center for all
spindle turnings, regardless if square, round or in between. If you
look, the jig is a V that fit's rounds and squares:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/CenterFinder1.jpg

but usually square is not a problem however multipurpose tools are
best even if they see minimal use

Make the one pictured. It is not multipurpose, it is just a center
finder for lathe turnings. If you have an out of square "square, or out
of round, "round" and draw four lines approximately 90 degrees apart,
you will get a little square box directly in the center.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com