Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Has anyone tried using EMT with pipe clamps?

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

My guess is it would be too flexible because it's so thin.
It seems to be getting thinner and thinner, too.
Anyone see how thin copper pipe is these days?
You can practically put your fingernail through it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in
:

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I have not tried it, but I have seen 1/2" black iron pipe bend as the
clamps were tightened. I've also played a lot with EMT on the backyard ice
rink, and can tell you the 3/4" EMT is probably as flexible as the 1/2
black iron.

It's also a lot cheaper too.

Let us know if you try it and it works.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 May 2018 22:29:25 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

My guess is it would be too flexible because it's so thin.
It seems to be getting thinner and thinner, too.
Anyone see how thin copper pipe is these days?
You can practically put your fingernail through it.

Yeah, the so-called water grade is pure crap. Even looking at a roll
of it will cause dents and the tubing to get out of round. Shudder my
first memories of picking some up at the local box store instead of my
normal supply house and getting that by mistake.

EMT seems about the same, I suppose because steel is a lot less
expensive. I think I'll try a short piece first because of the sliding
locking clamp and see what happens when it grips the EMT and if it
will cave it in or dent it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2018 03:34:13 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I have not tried it, but I have seen 1/2" black iron pipe bend as the
clamps were tightened. I've also played a lot with EMT on the backyard ice
rink, and can tell you the 3/4" EMT is probably as flexible as the 1/2
black iron.

It's also a lot cheaper too.

Let us know if you try it and it works.

Puckdropper

I think I have some short pieces out in the garage, I'll give it a
test to see. But yeah, running conduit shows it as flexible, maybe
short pieces will react differently?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/29/18 10:44 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2018 03:34:13 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I have not tried it, but I have seen 1/2" black iron pipe bend as the
clamps were tightened. I've also played a lot with EMT on the backyard ice
rink, and can tell you the 3/4" EMT is probably as flexible as the 1/2
black iron.

It's also a lot cheaper too.

Let us know if you try it and it works.

Puckdropper

I think I have some short pieces out in the garage, I'll give it a
test to see. But yeah, running conduit shows it as flexible, maybe
short pieces will react differently?

I had thought about something similar one time.

Use short stubs of black pipe with the clamps. Install "T"'s on the
threaded ends, then street elbows to EMT or other pipe so the system
will extend along both sides of a panel glueup. This should eliminate
any pipe bowing, assembly issues aside 8^)

-BR
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

My guess is it would be too flexible because it's so thin.
It seems to be getting thinner and thinner, too.
Anyone see how thin copper pipe is these days?
You can practically put your fingernail through it.

Yeah, the so-called water grade is pure crap. Even looking at a roll
of it will cause dents and the tubing to get out of round. Shudder my
first memories of picking some up at the local box store instead of my
normal supply house and getting that by mistake.

EMT seems about the same, I suppose because steel is a lot less
expensive. I think I'll try a short piece first because of the sliding
locking clamp and see what happens when it grips the EMT and if it
will cave it in or dent it.

I wasn't thinking about the clamps caving in or denting the steel,
although that is a possibility.
I was thinking about the pipe bowing in the middle like cheap bar clamps
do. It would cause the jaw faces to splay out and could cause poor/lost
grip on the stuff being clamped.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/29/2018 8:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

EMT is way to light. I can handily bend 3/4 over my knee without
hurting my knee.

IMC might be a viable alternative, but I have not really compared
strength and price to rigid.

Also, I do not know how the OD for each compares. I don't know if your
pipe clamps would go on easily or not. Need to wander over to the box
store and find out I guess.

EMT is likely cheapest at the box store, but for rigid or IMC it might
pay to check pricing at your local electrical suppliers. Especially if
you are buying half a dozen pieces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in
:

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

My first thought is that if this worked, we'd all have known about it by now, and everybody
would be doing it.

Has anyone tried it?

Not me, and I don't think it's going to work. Here's why:

1) I think it's *too* light, and is going to flex so much under clamping pressure that the clamp
jaws won't even be close to parallel (that is, assuming it doesn't just buckle). EMT is called
"thinwall" for a reason: wall thicknesses are 0.042" and 0.049" for 1/2" and 3/4" respectively.
The corresponding dimensions for Schedule 40 steel pipe are 0.109" and 0.113". EMT is
very easy to bend by hand; bending pipe or rigid conduit requires hydraulics.

2) I may be mistaken, but I don't think you're going to find the kind of adapter you need.
Rigid electrical conduit is the same size as water pipe, with the same size threads -- but the
only EMT-to-rigid adapters I've ever seen have female threads, probably because rigid
has male threads on each end. Sure, you can add a pipe nipple too, but now you're starting
to move into Rube Goldberg territory...

3) Even if you can manage to somehow adapt the clamp headstock to the EMT, I very
much doubt that the tailstock will grip it tightly enough for clamping, because the tailstocks
are sized for pipe and EMT is noticeably smaller: actual outside diameters are 1/2" EMT,
0.706"; 1/2" pipe, 0.840; 3/4" EMT, 0.922; 3/4" pipe, 1.050 -- and 1" EMT (1.163") is 10%
larger than 3/4" pipe.

4) If you *do* manage both 2) and 3), I think that once you start tightening the clamps, the
gripping mechanism in the tailstock will crush the EMT. Like I said, it's called "thinwall" for a
reason.

If you decide to try it anyway, though, best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 2:58:19 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

4) If you *do* manage both 2) and 3), I think that once you start tightening the clamps, the
gripping mechanism in the tailstock will crush the EMT. Like I said, it's called "thinwall" for a
reason.

I doubt the gripping rings on the tail end of the pipe clamps will grip the EMT. The gripping rings are chromed steel. The EMT is chromed or some kind of gray plating. Its slick. I don't think the rings will grip the slick EMT pipe. So no clamping force. I don't think it will grip enough to even dent the thinwall EMT. It'll just slip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

My guess is it would be too flexible because it's so thin.
It seems to be getting thinner and thinner, too.
Anyone see how thin copper pipe is these days?
You can practically put your fingernail through it.

That just depends which grade you buy. L is still L, K is still K
and M is still M.
L is the "standard good" pipe, and M is the crappy cheap stuff that
no self respecting plumber would have used 40 years ago.

K is the heavy stuff.

Now FITTINGS, I will agree. Used to be K or L weight copper, now much
of it appears to be the thickness of M, if that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

My guess is it would be too flexible because it's so thin.
It seems to be getting thinner and thinner, too.
Anyone see how thin copper pipe is these days?
You can practically put your fingernail through it.

Yeah, the so-called water grade is pure crap. Even looking at a roll
of it will cause dents and the tubing to get out of round. Shudder my
first memories of picking some up at the local box store instead of my
normal supply house and getting that by mistake.

Roll copper has ALWAYS been soft because it is annealed copper.
Hard straight copper is what is "generally" used for water plumbing -
M has always been thin. M is now stocked as "standard" at the Borg and
other big box centers, L is still available and is "standard" at a
good plumbing supply - where the cheaper lighter M is also available.

EMT seems about the same, I suppose because steel is a lot less
expensive. I think I'll try a short piece first because of the sliding
locking clamp and see what happens when it grips the EMT and if it
will cave it in or dent it.

There are standards - which have not changed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2018 19:58:16 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

[...]

If your aim is to make a cheap flexible useless clamp, just go buy a
cheap chinese one and save the trouble???? BG
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2018 13:23:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 2:58:19 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

4) If you *do* manage both 2) and 3), I think that once you start tightening the clamps, the
gripping mechanism in the tailstock will crush the EMT. Like I said, it's called "thinwall" for a
reason.

I doubt the gripping rings on the tail end of the pipe clamps will grip the EMT. The gripping rings are chromed steel. The EMT is chromed or some kind of gray plating. Its slick. I don't think the rings will grip the slick EMT pipe. So no clamping force. I don't think it will grip enough to even dent the thinwall EMT. It'll just slip.

EMT is NOT chromed, it is electro-zinc plated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2018 19:58:16 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

My first thought is that if this worked, we'd all have known about it by now, and everybody
would be doing it.

Has anyone tried it?

Not me, and I don't think it's going to work. Here's why:

1) I think it's *too* light, and is going to flex so much under clamping pressure that the clamp
jaws won't even be close to parallel (that is, assuming it doesn't just buckle). EMT is called
"thinwall" for a reason: wall thicknesses are 0.042" and 0.049" for 1/2" and 3/4" respectively.
The corresponding dimensions for Schedule 40 steel pipe are 0.109" and 0.113". EMT is
very easy to bend by hand; bending pipe or rigid conduit requires hydraulics.

Possibly but it is worth a check, many clams aren't high pressure
clamps anyhow so depending on use it may not make that big of a
difference. BTW, I do have rigid pipe benders for 1/2 & 3/4" in my
garage. I used to bend pipe on electrical installations for explosion
proof connections.

2) I may be mistaken, but I don't think you're going to find the kind of adapter you need.
Rigid electrical conduit is the same size as water pipe, with the same size threads -- but the
only EMT-to-rigid adapters I've ever seen have female threads, probably because rigid
has male threads on each end. Sure, you can add a pipe nipple too, but now you're starting
to move into Rube Goldberg territory...

EMT to box connectors, work with rigid nipples as well. They typically
will bottom out because they are a straight not a tapered thread but
they can be tightened.

3) Even if you can manage to somehow adapt the clamp headstock to the EMT, I very
much doubt that the tailstock will grip it tightly enough for clamping, because the tailstocks
are sized for pipe and EMT is noticeably smaller: actual outside diameters are 1/2" EMT,
0.706"; 1/2" pipe, 0.840; 3/4" EMT, 0.922; 3/4" pipe, 1.050 -- and 1" EMT (1.163") is 10%
larger than 3/4" pipe.

Last I checked the OD of 3/4 pipe was smaller than EMT. and yes the
tail stock would be the first thing to check out since if it did fit
will it hold without damage the conduit.

4) If you *do* manage both 2) and 3), I think that once you start tightening the clamps, the
gripping mechanism in the tailstock will crush the EMT. Like I said, it's called "thinwall" for a
reason.

If you decide to try it anyway, though, best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.

I hope to give it a go this week sometime. It is just a question that
nagged me for years. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2018 17:32:00 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2018 19:58:16 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
m:

[...]

LOL, I have American made newer F clamps that are mighty weak.
It is surprising that many don't publish the max clamping ft/lbs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
[...]

I've had that problem with any pipe clamps. I threw them all away and
bought Besseys. No problems with them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
[...]

'L' copper is available at the BORG, too. It costs about 50% more
than type 'M' but it is available. I use it for compressed air.

EMT seems about the same, I suppose because steel is a lot less
expensive. I think I'll try a short piece first because of the sliding
locking clamp and see what happens when it grips the EMT and if it
will cave it in or dent it.

There are standards - which have not changed.

Like the size of a 2x4? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2018 19:58:16 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, and "american made" really doesn't mean anything anymore -
"made in the USA of world sourced parts" just means they put in the
last rivet or pin and put it in a box.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/29/2018 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm sure this is obvious,,,,, what is EMT? Emergency Medical Team? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/29/2018 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm sure this is obvious,,,,, what is EMT? Emergency Medical Team? ;~)

Electro-metallic tubing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2018 1:04 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/29/2018 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm sure this is obvious,,,,, what is EMT? Emergency Medical Team? ;~)

Electro-metallic tubing.

Thank you Scott.

Is that like the electrical conduit? If so, certainly not stiff enough
to prevent the glued up from bowing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/31/2018 1:04 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/29/2018 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm sure this is obvious,,,,, what is EMT? Emergency Medical Team? ;~)

Electro-metallic tubing.

Thank you Scott.

Is that like the electrical conduit? If so, certainly not stiff enough
to prevent the glued up from bowing.

It is exactly electrical conduit, and there is no way it would work for clamping.

Flexible Metal Conduit (FMC), EMT, Galvy rigid (GRC), Intermediate
Metal (IMC), Rigid Metal/Steel (RMC/RSC) and Rigid non-metallic (PVC).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2018 1:14 PM, Leon wrote:

Is that like the electrical conduit?Â* If so, certainly not stiff enough
to prevent the glued up from bowing.

Precisely...it's a nonsense thread from the git-go.

Nominal OD Sch 40 EMT OD
1/2" 0.840" 0.706"
3/4" 1.05" 0.922

so the EMT is almost a full 1/8" smaller diameter so clamps wouldn't
clamp even if the wall thickness weren't such that would simply collapse
it if did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I doubt the gripping rings on the tail end of the pipe clamps will grip the EMT. The gripping rings are chromed steel. The EMT is chromed or some kind of gray plating. Its slick. I don't think the rings will grip the slick EMT pipe. So no clamping force. I don't think it will grip enough to even dent the thinwall EMT. It'll just slip.

EMT is NOT chromed, it is electro-zinc plated.

OK. But my point is still valid. I don't think the grip rings will work on the electro zinc plated coating. Too slippery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I doubt the gripping rings on the tail end of the pipe clamps will grip the EMT. The gripping rings are chromed steel. The EMT is chromed or some kind of gray plating. Its slick. I don't think the rings will grip the slick EMT pipe. So no clamping force. I don't think it will grip enough to even dent the thinwall EMT. It'll just slip.

EMT is NOT chromed, it is electro-zinc plated.

OK. But my point is still valid. I don't think the grip rings will work on the electro zinc plated coating. Too slippery.

They work fine on clamps that come with electrozinc plated "pipes"
from the factory. If the tube is the right size they will hold - but
EMT is not the same size as pipe, and is too flimsy -0 the grip plates
will deform the tube.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 May 2018 13:01:05 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/29/2018 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm sure this is obvious,,,,, what is EMT? Emergency Medical Team? ;~)

Electro Metalic Tubing - AKA lightweight electrical conduit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Clare Snyder wrote in news:edt0hdl19fdiu4rioi9n8lha0qslbrdj7k@
4ax.com:

wrote:

I doubt the gripping rings on the tail end of the pipe clamps will grip the EMT. The

gripping rings are chromed steel. The EMT is chromed or some kind of gray plating. Its
slick. I don't think the rings will grip the slick EMT pipe. So no clamping force. I don't think it
will grip enough to even dent the thinwall EMT. It'll just slip.
EMT is NOT chromed, it is electro-zinc plated.

OK. But my point is still valid. I don't think the grip rings will work on the electro zinc plated

coating. Too slippery.
They work fine on clamps that come with electrozinc plated "pipes"
from the factory.

Perhaps for some definitions of "just fine'. I haven't had good experiences using pipe
clamps with galvanized pipe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in
:

wrote:

3) Even if you can manage to somehow adapt the clamp headstock to the EMT, I very
much doubt that the tailstock will grip it tightly enough for clamping, because the tailstocks
are sized for pipe and EMT is noticeably smaller: actual outside diameters are 1/2" EMT,
0.706"; 1/2" pipe, 0.840; 3/4" EMT, 0.922; 3/4" pipe, 1.050 -- and 1" EMT (1.163") is 10%
larger than 3/4" pipe.

Last I checked the OD of 3/4 pipe was smaller than EMT.

It's the other way around -- I even listed the diameters above. The actual outside diameter
of steel pipe is greater than the actual outside diameter of EMT of the same nominal size, in
all cases.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 May 2018 20:23:06 -0700
OFWW wrote:

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

depends

are you a clamp it hard to deal with any errors or other
imperfections in wood or cuts or what have you

or are you a clamp it just to keep it together until cured

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 13:42:01 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

wrote:

3) Even if you can manage to somehow adapt the clamp headstock to the EMT, I very
much doubt that the tailstock will grip it tightly enough for clamping, because the tailstocks
are sized for pipe and EMT is noticeably smaller: actual outside diameters are 1/2" EMT,
0.706"; 1/2" pipe, 0.840; 3/4" EMT, 0.922; 3/4" pipe, 1.050 -- and 1" EMT (1.163") is 10%
larger than 3/4" pipe.

Last I checked the OD of 3/4 pipe was smaller than EMT.

It's the other way around -- I even listed the diameters above. The actual outside diameter
of steel pipe is greater than the actual outside diameter of EMT of the same nominal size, in
all cases.

Actually that is sort of what I figured based on the tools for each
that I have, but I was going by the info on the HD site last week
which seemed strange to me, but,,,,?

Anyhow, I tried it today, it was a no show. The emt is small enough
that the tail stock would not grip it tightly. Given the nature of the
design I thought it might come close, but it was a no show.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:

Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

depends

are you a clamp it hard to deal with any errors or other
imperfections in wood or cuts or what have you

or are you a clamp it just to keep it together until cured

One grips it so there is consistency down the full length of the
joint, tightly. No room for imperfections, etc. Glue is not a filler.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 11:14:53 AM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 5/31/2018 1:04 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/29/2018 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT

I'm sure this is obvious,,,,, what is EMT? Emergency Medical Team? ;~)

Electro-metallic tubing.

Is that like the electrical conduit? If so, certainly not stiff enough
to prevent the glued up from bowing.

Exactly. Both EMT (thin stuff) and conduit (thicker, can tolerate wet)
are bending-grade tubing. Black iron pipe is not. Black iron
is thrifty compared with structural steel, but not a lot weaker.