Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler 4-Way Panel Clamps 54% Off

http://www.rockler.com/4-way-equal-pressure-clamp

These seem to be the perfect combination of top/bottom parallel clamping
and using cauls.
They use shop made cauls as part of the clamping mechanism, so you get
flatness and it prevents boards from popping up at the seems under
compression.

I've been waiting for these to go on sale and will probably get at least
four.
Seems like a no-brainer considering the great design and how much
cheaper they are than good parallel clamps.

I go in with caution because having bought many of Rockler's
"inventions" and being greatly underwhelmed due to low quality control
and under-performance, I've grown to be wary of their house brand.

However I'm fairly certain, they didn't invent, nor manufacturer these.
We'll see how it goes.

Anyone have these, already?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/2018 11:27 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I would caution you to wax the cauls so that they do not stick to the
panel joints.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/2018 1:10 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Oh wait, ;~) one more caution..

WARNING Cancer and Reproductive Harm. For more information go to
www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/product
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/18 1:10 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I planned on using iron-on melamine, since I have a bunch of it leftover.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 2:10:40 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

So how come when I posted a link to a set up that used cauls you
chastised me...errr...I mean...politely stated:

"IMHO learning to glue up panels correctly negates the need for cauls
of any kind."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/18 4:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

IIRC, he suggested using the over/under parallel clamping technique in
which you have parallel clamps on the bottom and top of the panel which
keeps the panels from popping up at the seems.

These clamps, which incorporate cauls as part of the clamping mechanism,
accomplish the same thing as over-under clamping.

Perhaps he was saying that using parallel clamps *with* cauls was
overkill since you can do the same thing with parallel clamps alone.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 4:58:11 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/26/18 1:10 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Clear packing tape works pretty well too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/2018 4:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The beauty to these type clamps is that you are unlimited to the length
of clamp you set up. The fact that is acts as a caul is secondary IMHO
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:20:52 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

They're a good use for warped wood, too. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message news
http://www.rockler.com/4-way-equal-pressure-clamp

However I'm fairly certain, they didn't invent, nor manufacturer these.
We'll see how it goes.

Anyone have these, already?

I had 8 sets of clamps like those when I started getting serious about
woodworking... I made the cauls with camber so that the pressure in the
middle was maintained as they were tightened. Ultimately I got a bunch of
Bessy clamps and got rid of the 4 way clamps. When I need really long clamps
I've got pipe clamps with couplers that give me all the length I'd ever
need... As I recall I had them about 12'-14' long one time to help with
straightening out framing during a house renovation.

The 4-way clamps were a crutch when I started as they let me glue up panels
with cupped boards where the edges did not butt up square without them. With
good board prep the need for them disappeared... About the only time I need
cauls now is when I'm gluing up things like cutting boards that have a lot
of slippery glue joints. I haven't missed the 4-way clamps at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
http://www.rockler.com/4-way-equal-pressure-clamp

However I'm fairly certain, they didn't invent, nor manufacturer these.
We'll see how it goes.

Anyone have these, already?

I had 8 sets of clamps like those when I started getting serious about
woodworking... I made the cauls with camber so that the pressure in the
middle was maintained as they were tightened. Ultimately I got a bunch
of Bessy clamps and got rid of the 4 way clamps. When I need really long
clamps I've got pipe clamps with couplers that give me all the length
I'd ever need...Â* As I recall I had them about 12'-14' long one time to
help with straightening out framing during a house renovation.

The 4-way clamps were a crutch when I started as they let me glue up
panels with cupped boards where the edges did not butt up square without
them. With good board prep the need for them disappeared... About the
only time I need cauls now is when I'm gluing up things like cutting
boards that have a lot of slippery glue joints. I haven't missed the
4-way clamps at all.

So, you've used all three types and still prefer the Bessy.

If I had a bunch of pipe clamps, I suspect I wouldn't be getting these
4-ways.
The price is so low on these, I had to bite. The cauls being integrated
in them isn't the feature that makes me want them. To me it's the
customization of length-- similar to pipe clamps. But, the fact that
they use cauls for that purpose is definitely a bonus.

We'll see what happens next time I have a panel glue-up.
Who knows, maybe I'll be buying a bunch of Bessys. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message news
"-MIKE-" wrote in message news

So, you've used all three types and still prefer the Bessy.

If I had a bunch of pipe clamps, I suspect I wouldn't be getting these
4-ways.
The price is so low on these, I had to bite. The cauls being integrated in
them isn't the feature that makes me want them. To me it's the
customization of length-- similar to pipe clamps. But, the fact that they
use cauls for that purpose is definitely a bonus.

We'll see what happens next time I have a panel glue-up.
Who knows, maybe I'll be buying a bunch of Bessys. :-)

We all work a bit differently so they may be just the ticket for you... or
maybe not. After some experience with them you'll know if they work for YOU.
Having the Bessy clamps, a bunch of handscrews, a bunch of C-clamps, a bunch
of spring clamps, packing tape, rubber bands, and 4 pipe clamps that I can
adjust for length is meeting my needs. I've been known to use a vacuum bag
food sealer for things too. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news

So, you've used all three types and still prefer the Bessy.

If I had a bunch of pipe clamps, I suspect I wouldn't be getting these
4-ways.
The price is so low on these, I had to bite.Â* The cauls being
integrated in them isn't the feature that makes me want them.Â* To me
it's the customization of length-- similar to pipe clamps.Â* But, the
fact that they use cauls for that purpose is definitely a bonus.

We'll see what happens next time I have a panel glue-up.
Who knows, maybe I'll be buying a bunch of Bessys.Â*Â* :-)

We all work a bit differently so they may be just the ticket for you...
or maybe not. After some experience with them you'll know if they work
for YOU. Having the Bessy clamps, a bunch of handscrews, a bunch of
C-clamps, a bunch of spring clamps, packing tape, rubber bands, and 4
pipe clamps that I can adjust for length is meeting my needs. I've been
known to use a vacuum bag food sealer for things too. ;~)

I wish I would've taken pictures or recorded a video, but I came up with
a pretty ingenious solution to challenging veneer gluing job I had,
several years back.

I was asked to put Bubinga veneer on some 22" maple bass drum hoops.
Bass drum hoops are what hold the head on the drum and are a bit larger
than the drum shell. They are about 1-3/4" wide, 1/4-3/8" thick, and
usually around 18-24" in diameter.

The outside was easy to clamp using a simple band clamp. Piece of cake.
But how do you clamp the inside of a cylinder, and one that big? I
though about using a couple dozen spring clamps. But I came up with a
great idea that came from this contraption I made...

https://youtu.be/9K_2iQJfYAc

In the video you can see how I used a pneumatic tire to hold the drum
shell while the base spins. That gave me the idea to try a bicycle
inner-tube as an air bladder clamp for the inside surface of the bass
drum hoop. It worked absolutely perfectly and even bent the veneer
around the curved edge on one side of the hoops.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 12:56:30 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
[...]

I assume you read the reviews. One common complaint is that the depth for the notches given
in the instructions is too shallow to hold under pressure. I think that was mentioned in both the
Amazon reviews and the Rockler reviews. That could be a user/usage issue, but the complaint
is pretty common.

I wonder if cutting flat notches with a dado blade or a router might be better than the curved
bottom notches that you get by drilling holes and then cutting the cauls in half per the
instructions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
[...]

I think it will be simple enough to drill separate holes for each one
and not cut through the dead center of the holes. I'll start there and
see how it works.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
[...]

It wasn't about the making of the holes, it was the size of the holes
that appears to be the issue. Even if the loss of some of the hole due
to the kerf is the main issue, you'd think that they (the designers)
would have accounted for that when they decided what size to put in the
instructions.

Then again, it could simply be that those that complained were trying
to apply more pressure than should be necessary. Let's us know.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
[...]

I also suspect that there is a certain height required for the cauls in
order for them to be effective. The higher the cauls, the more downward
the pulling action is making it less prone to pulling out of the groove.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--