Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edgetech Disc sand for TS

Has anyone used one of these? I was helping a buddy this weekend and he showed me a video of a guy using one, but I can't find much info - this is about it... https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/...c/prodET2.html

This really seems like a superior way to edge sand, to me. Leave each edge say a 32nd oversize and sand it dead square and parallel. There is a similar product here...
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=95-430

Thoughts? The Woodtek one is $37 and discs are $7 each - you have to set up an account to see the actual Edgetech price.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2018 16:31:52 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

Has anyone used one of these? I was helping a buddy this weekend and he showed me a video of a guy using one, but I can't find much info - this is about it... https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/...c/prodET2.html

This really seems like a superior way to edge sand, to me. Leave each edge say a 32nd oversize and sand it dead square and parallel. There is a similar product here...
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=95-430

Thoughts? The Woodtek one is $37 and discs are $7 each - you have to set up an account to see the actual Edgetech price.

If the blade isn't making a dead square and parallel, then a sanding
disk on the same machine isn't likely to do any better.

On the other hand, if you need a disk sander and are willing to put up
with changing out the blade for a sanding disk every time you need to
sand something, this sort of setup works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If the blade isn't making a dead square and parallel, then a sanding
disk on the same machine isn't likely to do any better.

Agreed. And I think you have to tilt the blade slightly for it to work properly, so you'll need to check for square.

On the other hand, if you need a disk sander and are willing to put up
with changing out the blade for a sanding disk every time you need to
sand something, this sort of setup works.

This is really only a "disc sander" in the sense that it's disc-shaped. In my mind they serve different functions. To me this is really an edge sander.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2018 16:31:52 -0700 (PDT), JayPique wrote:

Has anyone used one of these? I was helping a buddy this weekend and he showed me a video of a guy using one, but I can't find much info - this is about it... https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/...c/prodET2.html

This really seems like a superior way to edge sand, to me. Leave each edge say a 32nd oversize and sand it dead square and parallel. There is a similar product here...
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=95-430

Thoughts? The Woodtek one is $37 and discs are $7 each - you have to set up an account to see the actual Edgetech price.

JP

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...mounting-plate

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/freud-cd010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 8:59:07 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2018 16:31:52 -0700 (PDT), JayPique wrote:

Has anyone used one of these? I was helping a buddy this weekend and he showed me a video of a guy using one, but I can't find much info - this is about it... https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/...c/prodET2.html

This really seems like a superior way to edge sand, to me. Leave each edge say a 32nd oversize and sand it dead square and parallel. There is a similar product here...
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=95-430

Thoughts? The Woodtek one is $37 and discs are $7 each - you have to set up an account to see the actual Edgetech price.

JP

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...mounting-plate

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/freud-cd010

Those appear to be flat discs - for use as a disc sander. I'm interested in the ones made specifically to sand an edge - they have about a 3 degree bevel to the sanding surface, which you then square up to the table of your TS. It looks like Woodtek has one. I was wondering if the Edgetech one was better.
-JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2018 6:31 PM, JayPique wrote:
Has anyone used one of these? I was helping a buddy this weekend and he showed me a video of a guy using one, but I can't find much info - this is about it... https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/...c/prodET2.html

This really seems like a superior way to edge sand, to me. Leave each edge say a 32nd oversize and sand it dead square and parallel. There is a similar product here...
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=95-430

Thoughts? The Woodtek one is $37 and discs are $7 each - you have to set up an account to see the actual Edgetech price.

JP

A solution for a problem with technique. With a properly set up saw and
a good blade the most you should need to clean up an edge would be to
simply make a pass or two with a scraper or lite hand sanding.

If you are taking off 1/32 you would surely wear out the sand paper
rather quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 10:46:24 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

So you've never used one, Leon?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2018 9:16 PM, JayPique wrote:
[...]

Never.

I have seen them come and go over the past 30 years. Interest renews
and they show up again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Many grits are offered, seems that you will be changing paper to get rid
of the coarse sanding marks. Start with a finer grit and you will
likely burn the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Has anyone used one of these? I was helping a buddy this weekend and he showed me a video of a guy using one, but I can't find much info - this is about it... https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/...c/prodET2.html

This really seems like a superior way to edge sand, to me. Leave each edge say a 32nd oversize and sand it dead square and parallel. There is a similar product here...
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=95-430

Thoughts? The Woodtek one is $37 and discs are $7 each - you have to set up an account to see the actual Edgetech price.

If the blade isn't making a dead square and parallel, then a sanding
disk on the same machine isn't likely to do any better.

Many years ago, before I had a disk/belt sander and before dust
collection, I made a plywood disk for the TS and attached sandpaper to
it. It worked, but the TS is the wrong tool, it turns way too fast and
created a huge amount of dust, and tended to burn the wood due to speed
of TS. You would need really good DC on the saw, both top and bottom.

My experiment led to immediate purchase of a 48" belt/disc sander combo.
The disk is one of my most used tools, and would hate changing the TS
Blade out every time is used it, even if it did work well, which it doesn't.

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges. IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

--
Jack
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

What is the URL of this elusive video you mentioned: "he showed me a
video of a guy using one" ?
There are several 'flat' TS sanding disc vids on YT. I didn't find
any (table saw); tapered, conical, or convex sanding disc videos.

Master box maker, Doug Stowe, uses a TS tapered disc to 'thickness'
sand small parts: https://tinyurl.com/doug-stowe-tapered-disc

....as does this luthier: http://www.moonlightluthiers.com/conesander.htm

FWIW, Shopsmith offers a 'Conical Sanding Disc' as well
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...al_sanding.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges.* IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

+1

OTOH, disc sanders are the bees knees for miter joints, not just curved edges.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges.Â* IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

+1

OTOH, disc sanders are the bees knees for miter joints, not just curved edges.

I guess. While I will agree that the disk sander will form "a" good
miter, like a 45 miter, IMHO using one to do so is like using a jointer
to resurface all sides of a rough cut board. It will look good but will
you end up with the exact measurements? My TS and miter saw deliver
expected length cuts and exceptional fitting miter joints.

BUT if the disk sander had a jig or setup to guarantee exact length
results it would work better than with out.

My experience is that a tool should be equipped with a fixed reference
to insure precise results, ie. a surface planer bed, TS rip fence, TS
miter gauge fence stops.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

[...]

Oh, indeed. A jig/fence is required. I don't use it to form
the miter, just to clean it up a bit and maybe nudge it a bit
towards true if the stock wasn't held tight against the SCMS
fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What is the URL of this elusive video you mentioned: "he showed me a
video of a guy using one" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8rVyWemSsw
6 minutes in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges. IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

+1

OTOH, disc sanders are the bees knees for miter joints, not just curved edges.

I've used it on miter joints more than once, but I don't think I'd call
it the "bees knees". If your saw is set up correctly, you generally
have no need for a disc sander to fix miter joint problems. The main
secret to TS miters is preventing the wood from sliding when cutting, so
sandpaper on the fence of your perfectly made miter saw table is a good
idea.

--
Jack
The older I get the meaner I get. I'm pretty sure soon I'll be biting
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges. IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

+1

OTOH, disc sanders are the bees knees for miter joints, not just curved edges.

I've used it on miter joints more than once, but I don't think I'd call
it the "bees knees". If your saw is set up correctly, you generally
have no need for a disc sander to fix miter joint problems. The main
secret to TS miters is preventing the wood from sliding when cutting, so
sandpaper on the fence of your perfectly made miter saw table is a good
idea.

Personally, I cut a lot of miters with my H.C. Marsh miter vise (subsequently
sold by Stanley as the #100 miter machine https://www.ebay.com/i/123109187472)
and a backsaw. So cleaning up the cut on the disc sander works well.

"perfectly made miter saw table" sounds expensive :-). My 25yo Delta
chopsaw isn't perfect by any stretch of anyone's imagination, but works
well when building fences and doing construction (nowadays I keep an
abrasive blade in it for cutting unistrut and EMT).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges.ÂÂ* IMO, if you
[...]

Got'cha! ;~) Sneaking up on a perfect fit. It will do that for sure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

[...]

I can see that. On a TS however, generally no reason to use a disk
sander, particularly a disk sander on a TS.

"perfectly made miter saw table" sounds expensive :-).

I should have put that in quotes, and included "homemade". It was meant
as a light reference to another thread about making miter tables for the
TS. They are super easy to make and about guarantee perfect miters
every time, and cost almost nothing but a small amount of time to
construct. Miter joints in my cabinet shop are not used that often. I
made the "perfectly made miter sled" when I was making lots of picture
frames, which is where 99% of my miter joints are used in my shop.

My 25yo Delta
chopsaw isn't perfect by any stretch of anyone's imagination, but works
well when building fences and doing construction (nowadays I keep an
abrasive blade in it for cutting unistrut and EMT).

I don't own a chop saw. I considered buying one once when I did more
carpentry work than I do now. When I built my shed with a gambrel roof
I borrowed one which made things easier, but other than that, I just
used a plane old CS to cut up construction wood for decks, steps
porches, sheds etc.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can anyone find this disc for sale on the internet? the links in this group does not sell it anymore. Thanks