Old April 22nd 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Would You Make The Slots First Or Cut The Triangles First?

On 4/21/2018 10:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/21/18 12:16 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/21/2018 9:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/21/18 7:48 AM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Slow day...

I stumbled across this tip and it got me wondering. This isn't
about the
bench pads themselves, it's more about the instructions and the order
of the steps.

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

Seems to me that working with the long board would be easier than
working with the triangles.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2018/04/19/bench-pads/

Looks like an excellent excuse to but a Domino. :-).¬* It would
probably be
easier to cut slots first.

I'm in the middle of another custom baby gate to match a staircase.

I spent a good portion of yesterday just setting up the Jet Mortiser
that I recently purchased, used.¬* There are so many quirks and
limitations to the mortising machine.¬* And they don't really make
them easy to set up for precise placement, to say the least.

I think the bench top mortisers, I have had a Delta since 1998, have
not changed design or improved¬* at all.¬* Finicky *******s.¬* LOL

I hadn't even bored a test piece, when it dawned on me... I told
SWMBO, "If I get any more furniture jobs, I'm getting a Domino.¬* In
the time it took me to get this thing (Mortiser) set up and ready to
cut, I'd be assembled and glued-up with the Domino."

IF you have not gotten on the reconditioned Festool mailing list you
might consider doing that.¬* I get daily e-mails offering a variety of
Festool reconditioned units.¬* You do have to be QUICK to respond, the
offered units are typically snatched up with in an hour.¬* I noticed
the smaller Domino was being offered a few days ago.

I'm on it.

RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ;~)