Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Would You Make The Slots First Or Cut The Triangles First?

Slow day...

I stumbled across this tip and it got me wondering. This isn't about the
bench pads themselves, it's more about the instructions and the order
of the steps.

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

Seems to me that working with the long board would be easier than
working with the triangles.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2018/04/19/bench-pads/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 18:50:22 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Slow day...

I stumbled across this tip and it got me wondering. This isn't about the
bench pads themselves, it's more about the instructions and the order
of the steps.

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

Seems to me that working with the long board would be easier than
working with the triangles.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2018/04/19/bench-pads/

Bet you he has a jig to make those slots, if you make the slots first,
you have to calculate your kerf, and be more precise in your cuts. If
you are picky like me that is
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Slow day...

I stumbled across this tip and it got me wondering. This isn't about the
bench pads themselves, it's more about the instructions and the order
of the steps.

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

Seems to me that working with the long board would be easier than
working with the triangles.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2018/04/19/bench-pads/

Bet you he has a jig to make those slots, if you make the slots first,
you have to calculate your kerf, and be more precise in your cuts. If
you are picky like me that is

All you have to do it be precise about cutting the slot in the first,
then use it as a template.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking more in terms of handling a longer board as far as using a drill press to
drill the holes, clamping it down for chiseling them into slots, etc. Then just cut, cut, cut
at the miter saw.

(Yes, I'm ready for the inevitable "way overthinking a simple task" comments. Bring 'em on.
I'm not planning on building a set anyway. It's just conversation.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 8:50:27 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

I'd cut the slots first and be done with it. Might not matter that the triangles are perfectly equally sized. If the slots are not perfectly equal, then the triangle's tilt would be off, a little. Both the slots and triangles would need to be perfectly cut and each perfectly matched, for the pads to sit perfectly level, assuming the table top work place is level.

Compared to the example in the link, a similar project, in my workings, wouldn't need to be perfectly cut or level.... and they seldom are for this sort of pad application.

A better(?) pad application might be to cut an arc along/from the edge of a short 2X4. Rest the work piece on the pointy ends of the cut arc.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You could also stack them after cutting, then use a drill press to drill
out several at once.
If you had a mortiser, you could go straight to it after the drill press.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Slow day...

I stumbled across this tip and it got me wondering. This isn't about the
bench pads themselves, it's more about the instructions and the order
of the steps.

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

Seems to me that working with the long board would be easier than
working with the triangles.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2018/04/19/bench-pads/

Looks like an excellent excuse to but a Domino. :-). It would probably be
easier to cut slots first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/18 7:48 AM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Slow day...

I stumbled across this tip and it got me wondering. This isn't about the
bench pads themselves, it's more about the instructions and the order
of the steps.

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

Seems to me that working with the long board would be easier than
working with the triangles.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2018/04/19/bench-pads/

Looks like an excellent excuse to but a Domino. :-). It would probably be
easier to cut slots first.

I'm in the middle of another custom baby gate to match a staircase.

I spent a good portion of yesterday just setting up the Jet Mortiser
that I recently purchased, used. There are so many quirks and
limitations to the mortising machine. And they don't really make them
easy to set up for precise placement, to say the least.

I hadn't even bored a test piece, when it dawned on me... I told SWMBO,
"If I get any more furniture jobs, I'm getting a Domino. In the time it
took me to get this thing (Mortiser) set up and ready to cut, I'd be
assembled and glued-up with the Domino."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/2018 9:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/21/18 7:48 AM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Slow day...

I stumbled across this tip and it got me wondering. This isn't about the
bench pads themselves, it's more about the instructions and the order
of the steps.

If you were to make a set of these bench pads, would you follow the
instructions and make the slots in the individual triangles after
they were already cut or would you make the slots in the board and
then cut the triangles?

Seems to me that working with the long board would be easier than
working with the triangles.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2018/04/19/bench-pads/

Looks like an excellent excuse to but a Domino. :-).Â* It would
probably be
easier to cut slots first.

I'm in the middle of another custom baby gate to match a staircase.

I spent a good portion of yesterday just setting up the Jet Mortiser
that I recently purchased, used.Â* There are so many quirks and
limitations to the mortising machine.Â* And they don't really make them
easy to set up for precise placement, to say the least.

I think the bench top mortisers, I have had a Delta since 1998, have not
changed design or improved at all. Finicky *******s. LOL

I hadn't even bored a test piece, when it dawned on me... I told SWMBO,
"If I get any more furniture jobs, I'm getting a Domino.Â* In the time it
took me to get this thing (Mortiser) set up and ready to cut, I'd be
assembled and glued-up with the Domino."

IF you have not gotten on the reconditioned Festool mailing list you
might consider doing that. I get daily e-mails offering a variety of
Festool reconditioned units. You do have to be QUICK to respond, the
offered units are typically snatched up with in an hour. I noticed the
smaller Domino was being offered a few days ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/18 12:16 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/21/2018 9:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/21/18 7:48 AM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

changed design or improvedÂ* at all.Â* Finicky *******s.Â* LOL

I hadn't even bored a test piece, when it dawned on me... I told
SWMBO, "If I get any more furniture jobs, I'm getting a Domino.Â* In
the time it took me to get this thing (Mortiser) set up and ready to
cut, I'd be assembled and glued-up with the Domino."

IF you have not gotten on the reconditioned Festool mailing list you
might consider doing that.Â* I get daily e-mails offering a variety of
Festool reconditioned units.Â* You do have to be QUICK to respond, the
offered units are typically snatched up with in an hour.Â* I noticed the
smaller Domino was being offered a few days ago.

I'm on it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/2018 10:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/21/18 12:16 PM, Leon wrote:

not changed design or improvedÂ* at all.Â* Finicky *******s.Â* LOL

I hadn't even bored a test piece, when it dawned on me... I told
SWMBO, "If I get any more furniture jobs, I'm getting a Domino.Â* In
the time it took me to get this thing (Mortiser) set up and ready to
cut, I'd be assembled and glued-up with the Domino."

IF you have not gotten on the reconditioned Festool mailing list you
might consider doing that.Â* I get daily e-mails offering a variety of
Festool reconditioned units.Â* You do have to be QUICK to respond, the
offered units are typically snatched up with in an hour.Â* I noticed
the smaller Domino was being offered a few days ago.

I'm on it.

RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ;~)