Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Rough Cut show

On 5/31/2018 11:36 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/31/18 10:40 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/29/2018 8:52 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
J. Clarke writes:
On Mon, 28 May 2018 13:37:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 4:06:47 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

I took a look at Felder.

5300 bucks for a saw that can't break down a sheet of plywood?Â* I'm
afraid that they need to learn a bit about the American market before
they try to sell those things here.

You will have to tell us exactly which Felder saw you looked at
that cannot break down a sheet of plywood.

The one that has a 30 inch rip limit and costs 5300 bucks.

Any pro shop "breaking down sheets of plywood" will have a panel
saw for that purpose.Â*Â* Silly to use a tablesaw for that.

Totally agree if this type of panelsaw, which is a table saw.

https://lagunatools.com/classic-mach...12-4-panelsaw/

Â*Â* The panel saws that you see in Home Depot for cutting plywood are
IMHO not the best set up.Â* I do not like the horizontal cuts that they
make.Â* the top portion of the cut piece pinches the blade near the end
of the cut.

They are great for breaking down sheets to rough sizes, but that's about
it.
The ones at HD are not kept up very well, always have dull blades and
the operators are hit or miss.

I suspect the dull blades are because of the pinching and burning at the
end of the horizontal buts. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 4:06:47 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

I took a look at Felder.

5300 bucks for a saw that can't break down a sheet of plywood?* I'm
afraid that they need to learn a bit about the American market before
they try to sell those things here.

You will have to tell us exactly which Felder saw you looked at
that cannot break down a sheet of plywood.

The one that has a 30 inch rip limit and costs 5300 bucks.

Any pro shop "breaking down sheets of plywood" will have a panel
saw for that purpose.** Silly to use a tablesaw for that.

Totally agree if this type of panelsaw, which is a table saw.

https://lagunatools.com/classic-mach...12-4-panelsaw/

** The panel saws that you see in Home Depot for cutting plywood are
IMHO not the best set up.* I do not like the horizontal cuts that they
make.* the top portion of the cut piece pinches the blade near the end
of the cut.

They are great for breaking down sheets to rough sizes, but that's about
it.
The ones at HD are not kept up very well, always have dull blades and
the operators are hit or miss.

I suspect the dull blades are because of the pinching and burning at the
end of the horizontal buts. ;~)

I always took what you guys mentioned into consideration at HD and
agree with it all. In my area there is a Lowes and their panel cutter
is much better, and always appears to be working too, a big plus.

However, at home, I made up a deal that sits on to two sawhorses and
interlocking 2x4s to cut 4x8 wood, but you still had to pick up the
sheets to put it on and then take off all the pieces. Mentioning the
panel cutters that you all did, got me to thinking. My roll around
cart for plywood I could easily modify one side of it for both
vertical and horizontal cuts and use clamps to hold the top pieces in
place until the cut was complete. This way once the wood is on the
cart it doesn't have to be moved around for cutting as many times.

LOL, even while typing this I thought, why clamp when I could just put
shims in the cuts as I go across the plywood. Hmmm.

It pays to listen to you guys sharing your thoughts and projects.