Old April 15th 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled?

On 4/15/18 11:44 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/15/2018 10:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/15/18 8:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/13/2018 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

I'll start by saying that I don't need another cross cut
sled. I've made 2 of my own, a large one and a small one.
They work perfectly fine.

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there
is anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut
sled. Yes, it cost $150. Yes, the drop-off platform is
another $38. Yes, it is constructed of materials known to
be harmful to residents of Califormia. But you don't have
to pay for it and you don't live in CA. (Well, most of you
don't.)

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and
drop-off table, is there a specific reason (or reasons)
that you would forgo it's use and continue using your home
made sled, other than the emotional attachment to your good
ole sled?

www.rockler.com/tablesaw-crosscut-sled

Well, it is a copy of the Dubby. If you are going to get it
for free, jump on it. If you were going to buy you should
consider the Dubby. It is larger and you can buy for either
side get both. Mine are almost 20 years old. Very accurate.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/pro...able-saw-sled/

I guess I should show mine, again. :-)
https://youtu.be/DPg5xdeyCQk

Very nice Mike. I have a bunch of 4x8' 3/4" ceder plywood
painted white from an above ground pool I destructed and made a
couple of sliding tables from it, looks just like the stuff you
used, and wonder if that's where you got your painted plywood?

The sheet I used is actually regular old melamine covered particle
board. I use the stuff for temporary project tables because it's
cheap, flat, bright, and glue doesn't stick to it. I had just
finished a bookcase job and had the sheets from the tables, so I
used them for the sled and my outfeed table.
https://youtu.be/LRgwJzlFrOE

Just a note here Mike. Glue Does stick to Melamine, if you are
careful you can get it off. My old Jet cabinet saw had the same
material for the right extension table, AKA my glue up station.
There were chunks of Melamine missing where glue would drip and a
scrap piece of wood would be placed. ;~) If the glue simply
dried/cured on the surface I used a cabinet scraper to remove the
blob.

Well, yeah, I didn't mean it doesn't stick at all. But it doesn't "hold."
I use a piece of hardwood with a sharply cut edge to slide along the
surface. When it hits a dried glue blob, the blob just "pops!" right
off a flies through the air. It's kind of fun, actually... like popping
bubble wrap.

Anyhow, that is a nice sled, but pretty sure it won't work as you
actually made it yourself instead of spending a huge wad of cash
like some in this group seem to require in order to cut a
straight line. Something about the more you spend, the straighter
the line, or 'I buy it because I can'. I like the 'I build it
because I can' stuff. You can, and did. Excellent.

Thanks, Jack. For me it all depends on whether I have more time
than money or more money than time. Sometimes, I'll pay to buy a
jig or device I need to finish a paid project. But most times, I
do like the satisfaction of building them myself.

True! It often makes sense to build a jig as it can be so unique
that you can not buy one. And then there are times when time is
money and getting the job done on time out weighs the cost of the
jig.

Exactly! I'm actually thinking about buying one of those Kreg cabinet
hinge installation jigs. They look like they save a LOT of time in
measuring/marking and they let you do it with one hand.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old April 16th 18, 02:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2018 9:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 9:19:30 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You just can't help yourself can you?

Didn't know I was supposed to do that?

Please delete offensive response and replace it with just a "+1"

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old April 16th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Eaten up with jealousy as his comments and views are irrelevant and most
often out of touch.

Hey, perfect punctuation, and you actually typed something before sending.

+1

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old April 16th 18, 02:30 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

At least those that buy the tools, that he applies his tool snobbery
too, actually build something. I do not recall seeing any thing lately
that he has accomplished with his favored tools. Can you guess who
appears under another name when Leon makes a comment about Festool?

No, who? This should be a good one?

My festering tool comments are out there for all to see with my name
plastered all over them. I never had a need to use another name, never
will.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old April 16th 18, 05:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Even a blank post has a higher information content than yours.

Old April 17th 18, 06:07 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:30:26 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would forgo it's use

any reason not to just try it

Old April 17th 18, 11:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would forgo it's use

any reason not to just try it

Not having one might be a reason.
Old April 17th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

-1

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old April 17th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would forgo it's use

any reason not to just try it

Not having one might be a reason.

You asked, and I quote:

"If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off table, is
there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would forgo it's use and
continue using your home made sled, other than the emotional attachment
to your good ole sled?"

This eliminates the reason "not having one" might be a reason. If
someone gave you one, then you would have one, so, is there any other
reason to not "just try it"?

I can't help myself, I have to give the Comet a

+1

with or w/o punctuation.

I also can't help adding that if someone gave me one, I'd just try it,
and if I discovered a reason to forgo it's use, I'd try to sell the damn
thing to someone that can't cut a straight line w/o an over priced
gadget. Otherwise, I'd brag endlessly about how I easily cut straight
lines with this overpriced tool and everyone serious about cutting
straight lines should own one...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old April 17th 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You only prove my point.