Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled?

On 4/21/2018 6:36 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 08:42:59 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 4/20/2018 11:37 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 08:50:20 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 4/17/2018 1:29 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 11:17:40 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 4/16/2018 12:22 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:23:44 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 4/15/2018 11:25 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/15/2018 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 9:19:30 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/13/2018 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

I'll start by saying that I don't need another cross cut sled. I've
made 2 of my own, a large one and
a small one. They work perfectly fine.

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is anything
inherently wrong with the
Rockler Cross Cut sled. Yes, it cost $150. Yes, the drop-off platform
is another $38. Yes, it is
constructed of materials known to be harmful to residents of
Califormia. But you don't have to
pay for it and you don't live in CA. (Well, most of you don't.)

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off table, is
there a specific reason (or
reasons) that you would forgo it's use and continue using your home
made sled, other than the
emotional attachment to your good ole sled?

www.rockler.com/tablesaw-crosscut-sled

Well, it is a copy of the Dubby. If you are going to get it for free,
jump on it. If you were going to buy you should consider the Dubby.
It is larger and you can buy for either side get both. Mine are
almost 20 years old. Very accurate.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/pro...able-saw-sled/

I guess I should show mine, again. :-)
https://youtu.be/DPg5xdeyCQk

Very nice Mike. I have a bunch of 4x8' 3/4" ceder plywood painted white
from an above ground pool I destructed and made a couple of sliding
tables from it, looks just like the stuff you used, and wonder if that's
where you got your painted plywood?

Anyhow, that is a nice sled, but pretty sure it won't work as you
actually made it yourself instead of spending a huge wad of cash like
some in this group seem to require in order to cut a straight line.
Something about the more you spend, the straighter the line, or 'I buy
it because I can'. I like the 'I build it because I can' stuff. You can,
and did. Excellent.

You just can't help yourself can you?

Eaten up with jealousy as his comments and views are irrelevant and most
often out of touch.

Hey, perfect punctuation, and you actually typed something before sending.

+1

Even a blank post has a higher information content than yours.

-1

You only prove my point.

-2

...and insist on digging.

-3

Amazing. The brat can count to three.

Backwards!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

[...]

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is
anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut sled. [...]

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off
table, is there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would
forgo it's use and continue using your home made sled, other
than the emotional attachment to your good ole sled?

Well, considering the source, I think I'd want to check it first to make sure it actually cuts
square. If its accuracy is similar to the pair of the Rockler Assembly Squares
http://www.rockler.com/clamp-it-assembly-square
that I bought about 15 years ago, and returned for a refund later the same day, then I'd say
that's more than sufficient reason not to use it.

(Set the two alleged "squares" on my jointer bed, facing each other and touching at the
bottoms... and measured a gap at the top of nearly 1/16". Repeated on the jointer fence and
the table saw, just to make sure; same results. Repeated that test in the store, too, when I
returned them, in hopes that I just got a bad pair. Nope, they were all like that, and many
were even worse.)

Out by 1/32" over only 6" doesn't meet *my* definition of square. Hopefully the sled is better.

FWIW, I wound up buying a set of four Jevons 3D Squares http://www.jevonstoolco.com/ at
the Woodworking Show a short time later. He guarantees 0.002" max per 6" and according
to my Starrett square it's actually 0.000, which I like a lot better than 0.030...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/22/18 10:13 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

I had the same experience with the Rockler "squares."
I left a review on their site, stating such, along with the many other
similar reviews.
I don't know how they sell any of them with those reviews.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 11:13:47 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

[...]

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is
anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut sled. [...]

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off
table, is there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would
forgo it's use and continue using your home made sled, other
than the emotional attachment to your good ole sled?

Well, considering the source, I think I'd want to check it first to make sure it actually cuts
square. If its accuracy is similar to the pair of the Rockler Assembly Squares
http://www.rockler.com/clamp-it-assembly-square
that I bought about 15 years ago, and returned for a refund later the same day, then I'd say
that's more than sufficient reason not to use it.

Good point, although as long as the fence has room past 90°, making it square should be
simple. The video shows the user cutting off a small piece as part of the setup, so squaring
it appears possible.

Granted, if the gauge is unusable, or inaccuracies have to compensated for, that's certainly a
drawback.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/23/18 5:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You last sentence could be used as a blanket statement for most of
Rockler's jigs/accessories.

Great ideas for jigs, but when it comes down to actually manufacturing
them, they often fall short in the details. Sometimes plastic just
doesn't cut it when trying to replicate things that other companies are
doing with machined metal.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)