Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1946 DeWalt Radial Arm Saw

My father in law has a 1946 dewalt radial arm saw. Anyone have any idea how much it is worth? He is looking to sell it but I am trying to talk him into keeping it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Model GP and is in great working condition. Little dusty is all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am not paying someone to come throw it away. I can do that for free. If you are interested in buying it make an offer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in news:66980948-fe05-4b13-834e-57663235fe56
@googlegroups.com:

Model GP and is in great working condition. Little dusty is all.

This guy?
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=27418

Some dude on eBay's asking $290 buy it now for his saw DeWalt GP. That's
not what it's WORTH, that's what he's ASKING.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

10 inch dual pivot arm. It is in Junction City KS
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's the one
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 04:12:18 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

wrote in
:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:02:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am not paying someone to come throw it away. I can do that for free.
If you are interested in buying it make an offer.

Um, that's the point. I doubt you're going to find anyone who will
give you anything for it. Radial arm saws are really passe.

The RAS has its place in some people's shops, especially a DeWalt RAS
properly tuned. I use my RAS more than my SCMS, it holds 90 degrees
while my SCMS arm deflects really easily. Should I get a better SCMS?
Maybe--but my RAS is better at solving the same problems.

Let me put it another way. If you didn't have a RAS, would you buy
one? I sure as hell wouldn't.

If you've got room for a permanent cross-cut setup, a /good/ RAS can be a
very good way to go. The RAS can do everything a SCMS can do plus run a
dado stack.

As much as I'd use the setup, it wouldn't be worth the time setting it
up. A router and a table saw will do everything, too.

If you're constantly moving the saw, the CMS is probably going to be a
better saw for you. They're light weight and good ones will hold their
settings in a variety of conditions.

The only thing I want the SCMS for is crosscuts. No dados needed. I
have the room for the RAS but, as I've mentioned here, it hasn't been
plugged so much as plugged in, in over 25 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2018 9:51 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 04:12:18 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

wrote in
:

wrote:

I am not paying someone to come throw it away. I can do that for free.
If you are interested in buying it make an offer.

Um, that's the point. I doubt you're going to find anyone who will
give you anything for it. Radial arm saws are really passe.

The RAS has its place in some people's shops, especially a DeWalt RAS
properly tuned. I use my RAS more than my SCMS, it holds 90 degrees
while my SCMS arm deflects really easily. Should I get a better SCMS?
Maybe--but my RAS is better at solving the same problems.

Let me put it another way. If you didn't have a RAS, would you buy
one? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I started with a 10" RAS many years ago. I added a 1hp Craftsman cast
iron top TS about 4 years later. I seldom used the RAS after that and
got rid of it about 4 years after that. I never missed it.
In the 90's I set up a dedicated CMS station and almost as soon as I
got my first cabinet saw, 1999ish, the CMS station was removed and the
CMS went into storage.
I could/can cross cut as accurately with my 2 cabinet saws as with the
RAS or the CMS.

Why did I get another SCMS? I always find myself needing to square the
end of a board and or cut one to length when the TS is set up to cut
dado's or rabbets. The Kapex is great but certainly was not a necessity
for me. It is more of a time and effort saver for me. And it's list of
advantages over the other brands really checked all of the boxes that
were keeping me from buying another brand previously.

If you've got room for a permanent cross-cut setup, a /good/ RAS can be a
very good way to go. The RAS can do everything a SCMS can do plus run a
dado stack.

As much as I'd use the setup, it wouldn't be worth the time setting it
up. A router and a table saw will do everything, too.

If you're constantly moving the saw, the CMS is probably going to be a
better saw for you. They're light weight and good ones will hold their
settings in a variety of conditions.

The only thing I want the SCMS for is crosscuts. No dados needed. I
have the room for the RAS but, as I've mentioned here, it hasn't been
plugged so much as plugged in, in over 25 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2018 1:14 PM, Leon wrote:

I started with a 10" RAS many years ago.Â* I added a 1hp Craftsman cast
iron top TS about 4 years later.Â* I seldom used the RAS after that and
got rid of it about 4 years after that.Â* I never missed it.
In theÂ* 90's I set up a dedicated CMS station and almost as soon as I
got my first cabinet saw, 1999ish, the CMS station was removed and the
CMS went into storage.
I could/can cross cut as accurately with my 2 cabinet saws as with the
RAS or the CMS.

Why did I get another SCMS?Â* I always find myself needing to square the
end of a board and or cut one to length when the TS is set up to cut
dado's or rabbets.Â* The Kapex is great but certainly was not a necessity
for me.Â* It is more of a time and effort saver for me.Â* And it's list of
advantages over the other brands really checked all of the boxes that
were keeping me from buying another brand previously.

Similar here; 10" DeWalt RAS was only thing had initially; did
absolutely everything with it...that would have been early '70s. Didn't
get the Model 66 until mid80's I'd guess altho can't recollect for
absolute certain any longer precisely. Picked it up directly from
Powermatic in McMinnville, TN. Kept the RAS as well; before the day of
the miter saw..."inherited" a 14" Rockwell/Delta from owner of a cabinet
shop I got to know well when he retired but it was large-enough didn't
move it when came back to farm as Dad had bought the identical DeWalt
when he was redoing the house and so it was already hear and I thought
I'd be satisfied...kick my self routinely when have larger timbers than
the 10" will handle...