Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planer or sander

On 3/30/2018 12:00 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/30/18 10:50 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 3/30/18 10:18 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/29/2018 3:39 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 3/29/2018 12:38 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/23/2018 8:55 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm contemplating the purchase of a bench top planer. After looking
around for a used machine, I often thought about a vertical drum
sander
instead. Obviously, I know the difference between the two but they
basically do the same thing. Therefore, seeking the sage advice,
could I
get by with a sander instead of a planer?

I'd go for the planer. Moreover, I would go for one with a spiral
head
segmented cutter. Grizzly sells them rather cheap, and they work
well,
much better than a 2 or 3 knife cutter. A bit louder than a sander
but
still very quiet. Like a sander, they cut smooth regardless of grain
pattern/direction or knots. You can finish sand with a hand
sander in a
minute, even large surfaces. About no need for a drum sander if
you
have one of these as they come out ready for a quick finish sand.

But to be clear, a drum sander is hard to beat when sanding thin
veneers
to a uniform thickness. Or for flattening the top and bottoms of the
sides of small/short drawers and boxes so that one side does not
stand
higher or lower than it's mating piece.

A drum sander can also be useful for surfacing wider surfaces than the
15" a typical
planer will handle. The 16-32 will handle 32" wide surface and
the 22-44 a 44" wide (in two passes).

A 15" planer can plane 2 perfectly flat, exact thickness 15" pieces
that
can be edge glued easily to 30" wide with very minimal sanding needed,
which can be done quickly with any hand sander.

That's what I end up doing for wider panel glue-ups.
One glued seem is pretty easy to knock down by sanding or a card
scraper, which works better to avoid dips at the seem.

On the other hand, I see no good reason to rip a 30" wide board
down to 15", plane, then glue it back up when I can just use the
drum sander.

Was someone suggesting to do that? Probably not wise, unless you have
no other choice.
I thought we were just discussing ways to glue up wide panels.

I'll suggest it now. First, a 30" piece of lumber is unusual, but, if
found, is most likely flat sawn, and will likely warp, and is too wide
for all home jointers, planers and drum sanders. My brother scoffed up
an old 20" wide 10/4 hunk of oak a while back. I told him I'd use it
for sure but would cut it into narrow pieces first. I ended up making a
dresser out of it, and for the top. I cut 5/4 strips, 2 1/2" wide. The
flat sawn face grain became the side grain, the quarter sawn side grain
became the face grain, so essentially, it was now a quarter sawn top.
Super stable and very nice looking. The side panels and drawer faces
were also from cut down from wide and glued up for best figure. It
should be very rare for a cabinet shop to use a 30" board w/o breaking
it down unless they are doing some sort of specialty natural edge board
room table top or something like that.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/18 9:42 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/30/2018 11:50 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 3/30/18 10:18 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/29/2018 3:39 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 3/29/2018 12:38 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/23/2018 8:55 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm contemplating the purchase of a bench top planer.
After looking around for a used machine, I often
thought about a vertical drum sander instead.
Obviously, I know the difference between the two but
they basically do the same thing. Therefore, seeking
the sage advice, could I get by with a sander instead
of a planer?

I'd go for the planer. Moreover, I would go for one
with a spiral head segmented cutter. Grizzly sells them
rather cheap, and they work well, much better than a 2 or
3 knife cutter. A bit louder than a sander but still
very quiet. Like a sander, they cut smooth regardless of
grain pattern/direction or knots. You can finish sand
with a hand sander in a minute, even large surfaces.Â
[...]

On the other hand there are very good reasons to rip a 30" piece of
lumber into less than 6" widths, then glue them up into a large
piece. In fact, it is the common method of making wide boards.

I think the point they're making is if you have a 30" wide board, you
probably aren't going to do that. You're probably going to find
something to make for which you can leave it 30" wide.
Yes, glued up panels are more stable, but solid panels are better looking.
Unless you're talking poplar or some other very plain wood.
But if you have a 30" wide board with any character to the grain at all,
it would be a shame to chop it up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 3/30/18 10:18 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

For me, the only reason I would want a wide board is to chop it up.
This way, you can make an entire piece of furniture, the top, styles,
rails, drawer fronts, doors, door panels from one board from one tree.
Looks good, sands the same, stains the same, is stable and so on.

Yes, I get making a 30" table top from one piece of crazy figured wood,
but rarely is that done or necessary. If you chop up one huge board for
a wide top, and are careful you can re-assemble so it looks much like
same board before you cut it up, even if using a magnifying glass to
search for seams, which no one does. Much more noticeable w/o a
magnifying glass is cupped/bowed/cracked 30" wide, one piece top. Sure
it's done, sure it's risky.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com