Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OSB or PT ply?

I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit includes a plastic floor. Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I need pressure treated ply?

PS: Yes, my first instinct was to build it myself, but SWMBO wants it done this year and my credibility for timely turnaround is close to zero.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/18 9:03 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit
includes a plastic floor. Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I
need pressure treated ply?

If there's any chance of direct contact with water, go with PT.
I'm not sure what the plastic floor is, but couldn't you just use 1x
decking boards?

PS: Yes, my first instinct was to build it myself, but SWMBO wants it
done this year and my credibility for timely turnaround is close to
zero.

LOL! Happy wife, happy life.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2018 9:03 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit includes a plastic floor. Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I need pressure treated ply?

PS: Yes, my first instinct was to build it myself, but SWMBO wants it done this year and my credibility for timely turnaround is close to zero.

If the wood part of the floor is going to be facing the ground with the
plastic floor on top, I would advise pressure treated.

If the plastic floor goes on bottom and the wood part of the floor will
be protected from outside moisture go with what you like.

I painted my Tuff Shed floor with an Epoxy paint to protect against
scuffing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 9:42:39 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL! Happy wife, happy life.

Well, hopefully. At least your chances are better!

I don't know what plastic floor is, either. But when I build something like your shed that is outside and I am looking for some moister protection, I staple down a couple of layers of Visqueen (black plastic sheet) over the framing then add the subfloor. PT is a great idea, but locally, they NEVER store it correctly so it is soaking wet. Since I like to "glue and screw" the sub floors I can't do that either because the PT ply is too wet for the adhesive to grip permanently.

When installed the wet PT it shrinks, moves, and the nails pop. Again, this is because of their storage methods not a product fault.

With that in mind I put down the plastic over the framing, screw down the sub floor and go on. The alternative would be to buy your PT, then sticker it in the garage or under a tarp for a month or so before using.

REALLY like the idea of the epoxy floor as per Leon. It makes the floor easier to clean,cuts the wear factor down by a huge amount, and even makes the floor have more stability against movement. Put it on while the floor is perfectly clean and the coating will llast for years.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/18 9:55 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2018 9:03 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit
includes a plastic floor.Â* Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I
need pressure treated ply?

PS: Yes, my first instinct was to build it myself, but SWMBO wants it
done this year and my credibility for timely turnaround is close to zero.

If the wood part of the floor is going to be facing the ground with the
plastic floor on top, I would advise pressure treated.

That would be a real moisture trap, wouldn't it.
I think I would go for either a composite or at least rated for ground
contact.

I can't tell you how many decks there are around here that have rotted
joists where the decking boards sit against them and trap the water
run-off.
I've seen joists rotted out, half of their depth, in under 15 years.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 10:16:16 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

That would be a real moisture trap, wouldn't it.
I think I would go for either a composite or at least rated for ground
contact.

I can't tell you how many decks there are around here that have rotted
joists where the decking boards sit against them and trap the water
run-off.
I've seen joists rotted out, half of their depth, in under 15 years.

Unless it is a pier sitting on a footing or poured in concrete, I don't so anything that has direct ground contact. Like you, I have found that ground contact causes the "treated" or "rated" wood to rot away quickly, but more importantly, become unstable. Also, if the building shifts, ground contact framing is almost impossible to repair after it conforms to the ground.

I don't know what the life expectancy is for treated wood these days, but it doesn't seem to be much more than regular untreated wood. The last fairly large deck repaired a few years ago, I painted all the substructure replacement members with a couple of coats of oil based paint before installation. Put the PT out in the customer's yard for month to stabilize, the painted, then used the wood. Much more satisfactory than my previous effort at which the treated wood shrank so much I was embarrassed and replaced it for free later on.

Don't trust pressure treated at all these days.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 07:03:59 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit includes a plastic floor.
Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I need pressure treated ply?

I like the 5/4 pressure treated deck boards - I used them for
flooring on my 10 x 12 garden shed.
Cost difference shouldn't be a big issue on a small shed ?
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 7:04:04 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit includes a plastic floor. Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I need pressure treated ply?

If it'll get some moisture, and if there's a wood floor over plastic, the wood
won't dry well. So, I'd consider polymer deck material instead of wood for
the floor. OSB is not much good when it gets cycles of moisture, and
plywood isn't a good wear surface, though paint can help.

The wood won't last long, though, if it gets wet and has paint and plastic
on its surfaces.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 7:04:04 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit includes a plastic floor. Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I need pressure treated ply?

I wouldn't use either, if solid wood (either close framing or ventilation and subfloor-type
planks) was an option. OSB doesn't take strain and moisture changes both, it'll sag.
Wood preservative painted-on should suffice, or PT. OSB will be less structural than
you want, plywood is pricey.

Heck, it's a shed; let the floorboards squeak.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit
includes a plastic floor. Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I
need pressure treated ply?

does the kit recommend a sub floor

plastic over any kind of wood seems like a bad combo

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2018 2:59 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 7:04:04 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I am putting up a kit shed on a 2x6 PT framed platform. The kit includes a plastic floor. Can I cover the platform with OSB or do I need pressure treated ply?

If it'll get some moisture, and if there's a wood floor over plastic, the wood
won't dry well. So, I'd consider polymer deck material instead of wood for
the floor. OSB is not much good when it gets cycles of moisture, and
plywood isn't a good wear surface, though paint can help.

The wood won't last long, though, if it gets wet and has paint and plastic
on its surfaces.

If it is a decently built shed the floor should not get wet, except for
a small amount now and then if the door is open and it is raining.
Occasionally getting a little damp and allowing to completely dry should
not be an issue.

If the shed leaks there are many more problems that will come up in
addition to the floor issue.