Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Colt tools?

I went to the Atlanta Woodworking Show yesterday and know, now, why I
didn't bother last year. OTOH, I did see a turning demo by Colt. I'm
not so interested in seeing what a master can do on a lathe but one is
on my wish list. I didn't even know that Colt made lathes, so knew
nothing about them. They make only a full-size (~$3K buy in) and a
midi (~$1K, without legs). They look like they're fairly nice and
what I've found online speaks well of them. Anyone have any other
words of wisdom? I'm not looking to buy soon but seeing something
that I hadn't seen before piqued my interest.

BTW, this is the same Colt that makes the drill bits but perusing
their site, I see the "Twin-Land" series but not the "5-Star". Nice
bits, still.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 23:16:58 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/18/2018 7:38 PM, wrote:

I went to the Atlanta Woodworking Show yesterday and know, now, why I
didn't bother last year. OTOH, I did see a turning demo by Colt. I'm
not so interested in seeing what a master can do on a lathe but one is
on my wish list. I didn't even know that Colt made lathes, so knew
nothing about them. They make only a full-size (~$3K buy in) and a
midi (~$1K, without legs). They look like they're fairly nice and
what I've found online speaks well of them. Anyone have any other
words of wisdom? I'm not looking to buy soon but seeing something
that I hadn't seen before piqued my interest.

BTW, this is the same Colt that makes the drill bits but perusing
their site, I see the "Twin-Land" series but not the "5-Star". Nice
bits, still.

I was going to ask if it was the same Colt. Well hopefully the lathes
are made by COLT and do not just have the Colt name plate.

It's hard to know. I was hoping someone here would have more
information. THey looked rather nice and from what I could find on
the net, at least the electronics were pretty nice. They could be
building on someone else's machine, though.

This is what I have. Unfortunately, it's at the bottom of a rather
large PDF.

http://colt-tools.com/projects/32/images/cata_new.pdf

I think the 5 star bits lost out as being too expensive. I loaded up on
the 5 star when a local cabinet hardware shop marked their inventory
down to get rid of them.

Probably, though it doesn't look like they shy away from making
expensive bits (see the rest of the above PDF).