Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On 3/19/18 1:19 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 22:34:02 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/18/18 9:55 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:34:36 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/17/18 2:11 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 03/17/2018 02:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
f he's a professional framer, then he's already thought of
my suggestion. It shouldn't take two framing carpenters any
longer to do what I described than it took me to type it.
:-) Seriously.

I dunno about that. You have to take it up, tack it in
place, measure, take it down, cut, remove the top, and
install it. That's a lot of steps.

Right. A LOT fewer steps than trying to measure each stud.

You said he was a pro. With an inexperienced helper, it would
be done in an hour, tops. This is something a professional
framer would've figured out by intuition.

I gave you a really good solution to the problem. I'd be
setting trusses by now. :-)

Is this guy a missionary, by chance?

This is starting to sound like a Troll.

Solution presented -- Yes, but...

Another solution presented -- Yes, but...

The guy wants to use a Chop Saw with a Laser Rangefinder and he
stated three questions: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Questions:

1) Do distance finders allow offsets like that to be dialed in?
2) Is there a better/faster/smarter way to do this? 3) Is there
already a tooling system for just this problem?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It appears that any answer to question 2 is invalid unless it
addresses the Chop Saw and a laser rangefinder.

Seems that way, huh? I'd have the trusses up by now. :-)

I don't doubt that. However, your solution seems too low-tech,
simple, and quick. You are exhibiting the ways of a Pro - they look
for a simple and elegant solution - implement it, and get the job
done and move on.

Meanwhile the amateur will futz around and waste days trying to find
a workable solution much harder than it needs to be. Moreover, the
more difficult, the more high-tech and closer to impossible the
solution is - the better. I have fallen victim to that in the past.

Oh, so have I... so have I.
If there's anything I hate, it's having too long to think about how to
do a seemingly difficult task. Too much stress and worrying over the
solution, when in most cases, were I actually on site dealing with the
scenario, I'd have the problem solved and the solution implemented and
never have to experience the stress.

I've posted in here before, asking for advice on upcoming projects that
I deemed to be difficult, only yo get to the actual job to have it go
much more smoothly and simpler than anticipated.

Anytime I get a project with unknown solutions and anticipated problems,
I really just want to jump into it ASAP to avoid all the anxiety that
usually proves to be unwarranted.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:44:47 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

On 03/19/2018 03:57 PM, Leon wrote:
In*your*opening*comments*did*you*not*say,

I*have*a*use*case*where*I*want*to*build*a*wall*on* new*construction.

Now*it*might*be*60*years*old???

Yeah, in retrospect, I should not have said that, because I do not actually
know what the case is. I *think* it is new, but at least in some cases,
it may not be. My bad.f

How _did_ you get involved in all of this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 03/19/2018 03:57 PM, Leon wrote:
InÂ*yourÂ*openingÂ*commentsÂ*didÂ*youÂ*notÂ*say,

IÂ*haveÂ*aÂ*useÂ*caseÂ*whereÂ*IÂ*wantÂ*toÂ*buildÂ* aÂ*wallÂ*onÂ*newÂ*construction.

NowÂ*itÂ*mightÂ*beÂ*60Â*yearsÂ*old???

Yeah, in retrospect, I should not have said that, because I do not actually
know what the case is. I *think* it is new, but at least in some cases,
it may not be. My bad.f

How _did_ you get involved in all of this?

A very old friend asked for a technical solution to this problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 03/19/2018 03:57 PM, Leon wrote:
In*your*opening*comments*did*you*not*say,

I*have*a*use*case*where*I*want*to*build*a*wall*on* new*construction.

Now*it*might*be*60*years*old???

Yeah, in retrospect, I should not have said that, because I do not actually
know what the case is. I *think* it is new, but at least in some cases,
it may not be. My bad.f

How _did_ you get involved in all of this?

A very old friend asked for a technical solution to this problem.

Honestly watching this thread, making any suggestion with out at least
seeing pictures of the site seems a good way to not really help your
friend.

Mortar and brick, might work to get something level, building a frame
infilling with concrete.

So is this place anywhere near Theodore J. Kaczynski's place?

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news
You could run a tight string line or laser, level, from the highest
point of the foundation wall to a clamped stick at the low end.
You take a pressure treated sill plate and embed it in mortar on the
sloping foundation wall. You just keep tapping down until it's straight
and level. Let the mortar cure and then insert anchors down into the
foundation wall. The anchors could already be there or be installed
prior to setting the sill plate in mortar.

+1