Old March 10th 18, 04:27 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw dust collection?

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:07:04 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

I just contacted Milescraft and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Milescraft, we would like to thank you for your interest in the #1502 DustChuter for miter saws (formerly Keen Dust Chuter).. Unfortunately, at this time the product is not available. We appreciate your patience while Milescraft is in the process of making final changes before manufacturing. The major challenge Milescraft is facing, are the different types of miter saws. Attaching our new DustChuter to every model is basically impossible. So far, we know it fits the following brands and models.

DustChuter Confirmed Compatibility:

Bosch 3915
Bosch 5312
Bosch 4410L
Bosch 5412L
Bosch GCM12SD
Craftsman 21237
DeWalt DW708
Kobalt SM2507LW
Ridgid R4121
Ridgid 4112
Makita LS1016L
Ridgid MS1290LZA

Should you not have one of the saws mentioned above, please let us know which saw you do have, as you may still be eligible for testing the product.

Also does anyone know which SCMS the HF 12" is modeled after ?

Interesting. Thanks for that. They list the GCM12SD, I have the GCM10SD model. I think I will contact them and see what they say.

Old March 10th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2018 10:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It is so simple I wonder it if would work on most anything if you are
willing to drill a few holes.
Old March 10th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 20:27:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Let us know what you find. I don't see any mention of the thing on
their US web page.
Old March 11th 18, 09:57 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 10:45:31 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 3/9/2018 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

According to Harbor Freight's website, their 12" SCMS (model# 61969 or
61970 ) is comparable to the Kobalt SM3055LW and Harbor Freight doesn't
list a comparable saw to their Hercules (Model#63978).

Drat! Would snatch up one of those DustChuter's for my HF SCMS in a
heartbeat.

Just tell them you have an Harbor Feight model thus and so and see
what they do. They may decide that it's worth testing.
Old March 11th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/9/2018 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to

[snip]

According to Harbor Freight's website, their 12" SCMS (model# 61969 or
61970 ) is comparable to the Kobalt SM3055LW and Harbor Freight doesn't
list a comparable saw to their Hercules (Model#63978).

Drat! Would snatch up one of those DustChuter's for my HF SCMS in a
heartbeat.

Just tell them you have an Harbor Feight model thus and so and see
what they do. They may decide that it's worth testing.

I did exactly that on Friday and have not yet heard back from them. If
I get a response - ANY response - I'll share it.

I mentioned that I live about 30 miles from their location and would be
more than willing to pick up and test a unit and help adapt one.

Old March 13th 18, 07:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/9/2018 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust
from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than
there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to

[snip]

According to Harbor Freight's website, their 12" SCMS (model# 61969 or
61970 ) is comparable to the Kobalt SM3055LW and Harbor Freight doesn't
list a comparable saw to their Hercules (Model#63978).

Drat!* Would snatch up one of those DustChuter's for my HF SCMS in a
heartbeat.

Just tell them you have an Harbor Freight model thus and so and see
what they do.* They may decide that it's worth testing.

I did exactly that on Friday and have not yet heard back from them.* If
I get a response - ANY response - I'll share it.

I mentioned that I live about 30 miles from their location and would be
more than willing to pick up and test a unit and help adapt one.

I received an e-mail response from Milescraft, Inc today which informed
me that they had not yet tested my model numbers from Harbor Freight and
offered to ship me a prototype along with generic instructions for
installation. They also sent me a letter detailing what they expected
of me (photos, critique of their existing instruction manual, honest
comments and evaluation of the product, etc) none of which were onerous.
I agreed to their terms and await the receipt of the product for
pre-production testing.

Old March 13th 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 2:24:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2018 12:00 PM, Markem wrote:
Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

Maybe not, He would need the Kapex too, and any decent vacuum should
suffice.

Wrong. Since he's getting a Kapex anyways you definitely want the Festool vac. It's a system.

JP
Old March 14th 18, 01:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 2:24:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2018 12:00 PM, Markem wrote:
Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

Maybe not, He would need the Kapex too, and any decent vacuum should
suffice.

Wrong. Since he's getting a Kapex anyways you definitely want the
Festool vac. It's a system.

JP

Not wrong. The Kapex and the Festool dust extractor are a system. But I
do own both and any vac would likely provide enough suction to remove the
dust.
Now I would agree that the Festool dust extractor would probably be less
trouble to attach, turn on, and would be much quieter than than most any
vac.

Old March 15th 18, 10:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

We will both be testing and I am interested to see how yours turns out. My Dust Chuter should be in tomorrow. What model do you have? Mine is a 98194.