Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw dust collection?

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/18 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

If you can find it...
http://www.toolovation.co.uk/Dust_Ch...keen_dc_ms.htm

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

sawdustmaker writes:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

I have a cardboard box of the appropriate size mounted behind
the SCMS, with a standard sloped plastic dust plate (with 4"
outlet) mounted in the (graviational) bottom of the
box. The box is as wide as the saw stand and a bit
taller than the saw itself (12" dewalt). Seems to
work well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 15:27:50 GMT, sawdustmaker
wrote:

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

You can hook it up to the vacum (but you still need the broom and dust
pan), build a work station set it up with connection to dust
collection system.

Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

SCMS are not well made for dust collection neither are most RAS.

Use it outside?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2018 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

It all focuses around the design of the saw and it's method used to
direct the dust directly or not so directly into the dust port. I have
seem several that have taped a piece of card board behind the blade to
modify the existing "scoop".

Regardless of what method you use a dust collector/shop vac, in place of
the bag, will help more than anything. While neither may not collect
all of the dust it is likely that the vast majority of the fine dust,
that which ends up in your lungs, will be captured by the vacuum.

And if money is no object, I have another suggestion that is as close to
perfect as I have seen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

You can hook it up to the vacum (but you still need the broom and dust
pan), build a work station set it up with connection to dust
collection system.

Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

Maybe not, He would need the Kapex too, and any decent vacuum should
suffice.

SCMS are not well made for dust collection neither are most RAS.

Use it outside?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2018 10:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/7/18 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

If you can find it...
http://www.toolovation.co.uk/Dust_Ch...keen_dc_ms.htm

pretty cool. I have not seen that. I don't think the window will allow
lasers to be accurate... I think they can bend the light. But aside from
that. It actually looks promising (somewhat)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/18 1:35 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/7/2018 10:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/7/18 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than
there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

If you can find it...
http://www.toolovation.co.uk/Dust_Ch...keen_dc_ms.htm

pretty cool. I have not seen that. I don't think the window will allow
lasers to be accurate... I think they can bend the light. But aside from
that. It actually looks promising (somewhat)

I actually have one they sent me to review, but I haven't set it up yet.
About a week after I got it we had some pretty serious family things
that made it take a back seat.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/18 12:00 PM, Markem wrote:
Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

SCMS are not well made for dust collection

This looked like the most promising thing for CMS, but it dropped of the
face of the earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-cnRNx2Hk

neither are most RAS.

I made a modification for my RAS that, coupled with it's integrated dust
scoop, has made it the most dust-free saw in the shop.

I wonder when companies will start manufacturing their saws using the
ingenuity we employ when we modify them. :-)
I guess Festool is already on it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

This is one place to go big, or go home. This is what I use on my
Bosch:

https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-SAWHOODWHITE-FastCap-Chopshop-Hood/dp/B000VS4K7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520468936&sr=8-3&keywords=miter+saw+hood

This looks interesting, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-5000-Solution-Miter-Silver/dp/B00MFGRT06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520468936&sr=8-1&keywords=miter+saw+hood

My next step is the Kapex, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote in
:

wrote:

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from
my SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than
there is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good
way to collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a
hole for the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

You can hook it up to the vacum (but you still need the broom and dust
pan), build a work station set it up with connection to dust
collection system.

Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

SCMS are not well made for dust collection neither are most RAS.

Use it outside?

Yeah that's good but way (way way way) beyond what I'm willing to pay.
Can't justify the price. Now if you were to buy me one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

Does anyone have a working US source for this? The Amazon link is dead and most posts I have read on other woodworking sites are years old.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 15:27:50 GMT
sawdustmaker wrote:

the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

place near an open window or door and then aim a fan toward the scms
and the door or window

or wear a mask and then sweep or vacuum it up later

or leave the sawdust around so the shop looks used

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2018 10:48 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

Does anyone have a working US source for this? The Amazon link is dead and most posts I have read on other woodworking sites are years old.

I contacted them, at the link in the UK.

Their response to the question, is the DustCutter MS sold in the united
States?

Not to our knowledge, we have been waiting for stock a long time.

you could enquire directly to Milescraft?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2018 12:15 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
sawdustmaker writes:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

I have a cardboard box of the appropriate size mounted behind
the SCMS, with a standard sloped plastic dust plate (with 4"
outlet) mounted in the (graviational) bottom of the
box. The box is as wide as the saw stand and a bit
taller than the saw itself (12" dewalt). Seems to
work well.

This is my setup. Works well for me also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:06:03 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 15:27:50 GMT
sawdustmaker wrote:

the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

place near an open window or door and then aim a fan toward the scms
and the door or window

or wear a mask and then sweep or vacuum it up later

or leave the sawdust around so the shop looks used

And make sure to keep the appointment with your pulmonologist.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

I just contacted Milescraft and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Milescraft, we would like to thank you for your interest in the #1502 DustChuter for miter saws (formerly Keen Dust Chuter). Unfortunately, at this time the product is not available. We appreciate your patience while Milescraft is in the process of making final changes before manufacturing. The major challenge Milescraft is facing, are the different types of miter saws. Attaching our new DustChuter to every model is basically impossible. So far, we know it fits the following brands and models.

DustChuter Confirmed Compatibility:

Bosch 3915
Bosch 5312
Bosch 4410L
Bosch 5412L
Bosch GCM12SD
Craftsman 21237
DeWalt DW708
Kobalt SM2507LW
Ridgid R4121
Ridgid 4112
Makita LS1016L
Ridgid MS1290LZA

Should you not have one of the saws mentioned above, please let us know which saw you do have, as you may still be eligible for testing the product.

Also does anyone know which SCMS the HF 12" is modeled after ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2018 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

According to Harbor Freight's website, their 12" SCMS (model# 61969 or
61970 ) is comparable to the Kobalt SM3055LW and Harbor Freight doesn't
list a comparable saw to their Hercules (Model#63978).

Drat! Would snatch up one of those DustChuter's for my HF SCMS in a
heartbeat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/18 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Email them back and tell them what saw you have.
They'll likely send you one for free to test how it fits.
You're helping them out and getting a free product.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

From this reviewer and the HF Hercules comparison chart, about 5.11
minutes into the video, the DeWalt DWS780.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfLR-FQGgGU

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:07:04 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Thanks for that. They list the GCM12SD, I have the GCM10SD model. I think I will contact them and see what they say.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2018 10:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It is so simple I wonder it if would work on most anything if you are
willing to drill a few holes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 20:27:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Let us know what you find. I don't see any mention of the thing on
their US web page.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 10:45:31 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

Just tell them you have an Harbor Feight model thus and so and see
what they do. They may decide that it's worth testing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/9/2018 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to

[snip]

According to Harbor Freight's website, their 12" SCMS (model# 61969 or
61970 ) is comparable to the Kobalt SM3055LW and Harbor Freight doesn't
list a comparable saw to their Hercules (Model#63978).

Drat! Would snatch up one of those DustChuter's for my HF SCMS in a
heartbeat.

Just tell them you have an Harbor Feight model thus and so and see
what they do. They may decide that it's worth testing.

I did exactly that on Friday and have not yet heard back from them. If
I get a response - ANY response - I'll share it.

I mentioned that I live about 30 miles from their location and would be
more than willing to pick up and test a unit and help adapt one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/9/2018 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust
from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than
there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to

[snip]

According to Harbor Freight's website, their 12" SCMS (model# 61969 or
61970 ) is comparable to the Kobalt SM3055LW and Harbor Freight doesn't
list a comparable saw to their Hercules (Model#63978).

Drat!Â* Would snatch up one of those DustChuter's for my HF SCMS in a
heartbeat.

Just tell them you have an Harbor Freight model thus and so and see
what they do.Â* They may decide that it's worth testing.

I did exactly that on Friday and have not yet heard back from them.Â* If
I get a response - ANY response - I'll share it.

I mentioned that I live about 30 miles from their location and would be
more than willing to pick up and test a unit and help adapt one.

I received an e-mail response from Milescraft, Inc today which informed
me that they had not yet tested my model numbers from Harbor Freight and
offered to ship me a prototype along with generic instructions for
installation. They also sent me a letter detailing what they expected
of me (photos, critique of their existing instruction manual, honest
comments and evaluation of the product, etc) none of which were onerous.
I agreed to their terms and await the receipt of the product for
pre-production testing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 2:24:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2018 12:00 PM, Markem wrote:
Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

Maybe not, He would need the Kapex too, and any decent vacuum should
suffice.

Wrong. Since he's getting a Kapex anyways you definitely want the Festool vac. It's a system.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 2:24:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2018 12:00 PM, Markem wrote:
Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

Maybe not, He would need the Kapex too, and any decent vacuum should
suffice.

Wrong. Since he's getting a Kapex anyways you definitely want the
Festool vac. It's a system.

JP

Not wrong. The Kapex and the Festool dust extractor are a system. But I
do own both and any vac would likely provide enough suction to remove the
dust.
Now I would agree that the Festool dust extractor would probably be less
trouble to attach, turn on, and would be much quieter than than most any
vac.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

We will both be testing and I am interested to see how yours turns out. My Dust Chuter should be in tomorrow. What model do you have? Mine is a 98194.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any updated news on this or any other manufacturer that makes one?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2021 1:36 AM, Murph Spider wrote:
Any updated news on this or any other manufacturer that makes one?

https://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-5000...22905582&psc=1

https://www.rockler.com/fastcap-chop... AlVkEALw_wcB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 2:36:20 AM UTC-4, Murph Spider wrote:
Any updated news on this or any other manufacturer that makes one?

I think the issue with a "chute" type device is that there is no way that
one size fits all - or even many.

There are so many different brands, models, revisions, etc. of miter saws
that a universal chute adaptor would be next to impossible to design.
That why you see individual DIY mods for specific models, as well as
the non-specific tents, boxes and other external bolt-ons.

As an example, I made one of Don Pattison's modified chutes for my Bosch
saw, which really improved the dust collection, but I also use some blocks of
wood behind the fence to try and aim a little more dust into the modified chute.
However, it still makes a mess. To bring home the point of non-universality,
Dan offers 2 different templates, one for the 10" model and one for the 12".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRlZGApo6vA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 08:39:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/16/2021 1:36 AM, Murph Spider wrote:
Any updated news on this or any other manufacturer that makes one?

https://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-5000...22905582&psc=1

https://www.rockler.com/fastcap-chop... AlVkEALw_wcB

I have one of the Fastcap ones. It works well but takes a LOT of
space. It doesn't really take much more behind the saw because the
rails are back there anyway. It would be dumb to put a Kapex or the
Bosch Bevel Glide saw in there.

They also just dump the dust out the bottom. Something on the floor
to dump it into is needed and it doesn't just drop. It gets hung up in
the cover, which then has to be cleaned out. It makes it a awkward
mess to move around, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On 3/16/2021 1:36 AM, Murph Spider wrote:
Any updated news on this or any other manufacturer that makes one?

https://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-5000...22905582&psc=1

https://www.rockler.com/fastcap-chop... AlVkEALw_wcB

I have one of the Fastcap ones. It works well but takes a LOT of
space. It doesn't really take much more behind the saw because the
rails are back there anyway. It would be dumb to put a Kapex or the
Bosch Bevel Glide saw in there.

They also just dump the dust out the bottom. Something on the floor
to dump it into is needed and it doesn't just drop. It gets hung up in
the cover, which then has to be cleaned out. It makes it a awkward
mess to move around, too.

As I mentioned earlier, other than the exterior hoods like Fastcap, any miter
saw dust collection mod needs to be specific to the model saw being used.
There is no universal chute or chute accessory that will work for every saw..

This guy took the Pattison's chute mod for the Bosch saw a step further and
added a 3D printed "ramp" to lift the dust into the chute well as a flap at the
top to catch dust that hits the top of the chute and falls back down.

The cool thing is the way he diagnosed the problem. He uses slow motion video
to capture the path taken by both smoke and the sawdust as it approached the
chute. His tests really emphasize my point that miter saw dust collection is
really, really specific to each model saw.

IOW, if you want to improve your saw, you need to know what is happening with
your saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDQSWgTmGFo

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Dust collection was a major reason that I choose the Kapex over the
Bosch. I think the biggest issue with collection is the path past the
chute, inside the saw, to the vac hose.

My Kapex actually made a mess cutting on my last job. I kept looking
down the manifold that the hose attaches to and saw the blade.
What I did not see was a relative large but think piece of oak waste
that was in there somewhere disturbing the flow. Oddly/eventually I saw
that piece appear on the bed of the saw, it fell out, and dust
collection went back up to about 95%.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/16/2021 1:36 AM, Murph Spider wrote:
Any updated news on this or any other manufacturer that makes one?

https://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-5000...22905582&psc=1

https://www.rockler.com/fastcap-chop... AlVkEALw_wcB

I have one of the Fastcap ones. It works well but takes a LOT of
space. It doesn't really take much more behind the saw because the
rails are back there anyway. It would be dumb to put a Kapex or the
Bosch Bevel Glide saw in there.

Especially on the Kapex, there would be little to nothing to catch. ;~)

They also just dump the dust out the bottom. Something on the floor
to dump it into is needed and it doesn't just drop. It gets hung up in
the cover, which then has to be cleaned out. It makes it a awkward
mess to move around, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that that is part of the issue, but the dust has to get into the
saw before that area can enter into the equation. As shown in Keith's
video, some of the dust wasn't even making it into the chute.

Pattison's chute modification (intentionally not discussed in detail in
Keith's video) makes the chute wider and lower, which really helps a lot.
I can attest to that.

Keith added the ramp to help send the dust into the chute but also added
the flap at the top of the chute. His slow motion video detective work
showed the dust physically hitting the flat edge of the chute and
(his word) ricocheting down, never making it into the interior of the saw.

My Kapex actually made a mess cutting on my last job. I kept looking
down the manifold that the hose attaches to and saw the blade.
What I did not see was a relative large but think piece of oak waste
that was in there somewhere disturbing the flow. Oddly/eventually I saw
that piece appear on the bed of the saw, it fell out, and dust
collection went back up to about 95%.

Wait...the Kapex doesn't have an app that sends a notification to your smart
phone when there's a clog? Color me surprised! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Impressive work indeed. I wonder what he does for a living. Mechanical
engineer/ Aerospace?

My Kapex actually made a mess cutting on my last job. I kept looking
down the manifold that the hose attaches to and saw the blade.
What I did not see was a relative large but think piece of oak waste
that was in there somewhere disturbing the flow. Oddly/eventually I saw
that piece appear on the bed of the saw, it fell out, and dust
collection went back up to about 95%.

Wait...the Kapex doesn't have an app that sends a notification to your smart
phone when there's a clog? Color me surprised! ;-)

It should tell you *where* it is too, dammit! Festool batteries have
Bluetooth so you'd expect the Kapex to have at least 4G cell
capability. Even refrigerators have 19" color LCD displays, Internet
cameras, WiFi, and web browers so what's Festool's problem?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

The dust was not entering the chute on my Kapex either. If the flow
inside the chute is compromised it will not be sucked up into the chute.
And the chute is not huge on the Kapex so I believe the design of the
flow inside the saw is important, not necessarily the size of the chute.

[...]

I know, right? Actually not clogged, just something, a piece of debris,
that was interrupting the air flow inside the saw, and I did not see it
until if fell out on its own.