Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Common Hardwood Floor Wood

On 3/4/18 8:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote in
:

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 17:52:15 -0500, Meanie wrote:

I plan to finish my stairs this summer (remove carpet and add treads &
risers) and want to match my hardwood floor at bottom of stairs (main
floor). I'm far from an expert at identifying wood species but think my
hardwood floors are red oak. I do know when I had the floors redone
years ago they use a honey maple stain. The home was built in 1949, what
type of wood do you think they would have used?

Here is a picture I took of an item on the floor which may help
identify. Disregard the item.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Thank you

From the colour and grain I'd say, better than 90% it is maple.

Nonsense. This doesn't even remotely resembly maple. It's red oak.

Agreed, the slat furthest to the right shows the QS flecks.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/18 7:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 5:42 AM, Meanie wrote:

Now that you know what kind of wood to use, what color are you going to
paint it?

Paint? Is this a trick question? No decent person would paint
over beautiful hardwood.

;~)

Certainly not latex. It telegraphs the nail heads when applied over cherry.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2018 10:10 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 3/6/18 7:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 5:42 AM, Meanie wrote:

Now that you know what kind of wood to use, what color are you going to
paint it?

Paint? Is this a trick question? No decent person would paint
over beautiful hardwood.

;~)

Certainly not latex. It telegraphs the nail heads when applied over cherry.

-BR

Yeah, but if you go with the egg shell finish it is softer on the feet
if you go barefoot. It like walking on . . . oh, you know.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/18 7:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 5:42 AM, Meanie wrote:

Now that you know what kind of wood to use, what color are you going to
paint it?

Paint? Is this a trick question? No decent person would paint
over beautiful hardwood.

;~)

Certainly not latex. It telegraphs the nail heads when applied over cherry.

-BR

Yeah, but if you go with the egg shell finish it is softer on the feet
if you go barefoot. It like walking on . . . oh, you know.

Disagree. Floors that aren't flat are tripping hazards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2018 9:05 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 3/4/18 8:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote in

*From the colour and grain I'd say, better than 90% it is maple.

Nonsense. This doesn't even remotely resembly maple. It's red oak.

Agreed, the slat furthest to the right shows the QS flecks.

Excepting it's white instead of read...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2018 11:49 AM, dpb wrote:

Excepting it's white instead of read...

Dang predictive typing...

Read red vs read...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I blame it on the spell checker too. ;~)

All About Hardwood Floor , AHF Ltd., All hardwood floor Ltd. BC news[_5_] Home Repair 0 January 28th 09 05:01 PM
Possibilities with fixing SQUEAKY antique wood floor (common 1st try fixes wouldn't work) CompleteNewb Home Repair 2 June 29th 08 01:34 PM
Putting hardwood floor on top of hardwood floor CompleteNewb Home Repair 6 October 19th 07 04:52 PM
Common is common? invntrr Metalworking 2 December 14th 04 09:59 PM
Hardwood Floor - High Spot in Floor Steve Johnson Home Repair 2 March 27th 04 11:58 PM